Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 35 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    He's not a neutral party, he's a Steeler fan. It would be the same as a Jets or Ravens fan weighing in on a Patriots-Steelers game.
    I'm not entirely neutral but to be honest my level of dislike for the Patriots is only slightly lower than that of the Ravens so...take from that what you will.

Still, I would say the way the game was officiated played a huge role in the Patriots loss on Sunday. Does that mean the Patriots would have won otherwise? No. the Ravens got hurt plenty by the calls, so you can't say that. The only thing that I think it's safe to say is that the officiating had a profound impact on that game. If the officiating had caused the Raven's to lose I would regard it the same way.

For what it's worth, if that game were to be played over again in Baltimore with legit Refs my money would be on the Ravens.

-------------------------------

And as for my Steeler bias...

You don't see me arguing the Steelers loss to the Raiders was in doubt. I wish it was but I watched every minute of that game. Calls were blown but not in a way that altered the outcome of the game. Oakland won, as far as I'm concerned; no asterisk there. If I can admit that about my own team then I don't think my bias is THAT strong.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I'm not entirely neutral but to be honest my level of dislike for the Patriots is only slightly lower than that of the Ravens so...take from that what you will.

Still, I would say the way the game was officiated played a huge role in the Patriots loss on Sunday. Does that mean the Patriots would have won otherwise? No. the Ravens got hurt plenty by the calls, so you can't say that. The only thing that I think it's safe to say is that the officiating had a profound impact on that game. If the officiating had caused the Raven's to lose I would regard it the same way.

For what it's worth, if that game were to be played over again in Baltimore with legit Refs my money would be on the Ravens.

-------------------------------

And as for my Steeler bias...

You don't see me arguing the Steelers loss to the Raiders was in doubt. I wish it was but I watched every minute of that game. Calls were blown but not in a way that altered the outcome of the game. Oakland won, as far as I'm concerned; no asterisk there. If I can admit that about my own team then I don't think my bias is THAT strong.
    Fair enough, I'm just calling a spade and spade here. I'd like to think I can try to unbiased and fair too, but we all have our moments.

If the officiating was shit all around, it's hard for me to dissect this call/noncall or that one and say one way or the other. I think we're saying the same thing, but the circumstances were what they were, as was the result.

That's fair sure. I think the only circumstance where I would have a lasting denial of the outcome of the game is if I was a Packers fan, or something similar happened. Something THAT blatant and unfair, you know?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not a neutral party, he's a Steeler fan. It would be the same as a Jets or Ravens fan weighing in on a Patriots-Steelers game.
    The fact that he also hates the Patriots is what I was getting at. It's not as if he's a 49ers fan or something and had absolutely no stake in this game, as he probably would've preferred the Patriots to win, although you don't want to have to go to Foxborough and win in the snow either.

No, I'm talking about the clear neglect of rules when it comes to the procedure of timeouts. On a forth and short, the Patriots QB sneaked the ball and were stuffed. A timeout was called prior to the ball being snapped SUPPOSEDLY...but not by someone who can called a timeout. It was Rex Ryan calling a timeout, when only the head coach or players on the field can do so. Because of this the Patriots were allowed to continue their go-ahead drive.

It's being anal, but if we're going to play by the rules and proper procedure, play by them.
    Oh, that one. Well, someone should've told Rex Ryan that he wasn't allowed to call a timeout. A ref just sees someone signalling for a timeout and gives it. I'm not saying it was right, but it's what happened. It was wrong, there's no denying that.

Fair enough, I'm just calling a spade and spade here. I'd like to think I can try to unbiased and fair too, but we all have our moments.

If the officiating was shit all around, it's hard for me to dissect this call/noncall or that one and say one way or the other. I think we're saying the same thing, but the circumstances were what they were, as was the result.
    I suppose that that is fair. I just think that the position is that the Patriots were ahead when all of the bad calls really started to come, that's all. However, regardless, the game is over, so there's really no use debating it anymore.

That's fair sure. I think the only circumstance where I would have a lasting denial of the outcome of the game is if I was a Packers fan, or something similar happened. Something THAT blatant and unfair, you know?
    Raiders fans probably still hate the "tuck rule," which even I, as a hardcore Pats fan, will admit was so clearly a fumble, it's not funny; I thought we'd lost it right there, but then the NFL ruled in our favor and against Al Davis, and well, history's history. Well, I thought Ravens fans might have had a problem with that play last year in the AFC Championship game where the game winning TD was slapped away/dropped, but there wasn't bad officiating there or anything. I still think that play was a TD and we should've lost, but that wasn't the call on the field. Although, it is true that Packers fans have a huge problem with this and there's nothing to say there.

I had no problem with our lost to the Cardinals last week because we were outplayed and then Gostkowski shanked the game winning FG, so that loss was all on us.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I suppose that that is fair. I just think that the position is that the Patriots were ahead when all of the bad calls really started to come, that's all. However, regardless, the game is over, so there's really no use debating it anymore.
    There was a clear distinction in the officials' attitude between the halves. I think to be fair there weren't ENOUGH flags thrown in the first half, especially with the extra-curricular activity after the plays were whistled dead.

Raiders fans probably still hate the "tuck rule," which even I, as a hardcore Pats fan, will admit was so clearly a fumble, it's not funny; I thought we'd lost it right there, but then the NFL ruled in our favor and against Al Davis, and well, history's history. Well, I thought Ravens fans might have had a problem with that play last year in the AFC Championship game where the game winning TD was slapped away/dropped, but there wasn't bad officiating there or anything. I still think that play was a TD and we should've lost, but that wasn't the call on the field. Although, it is true that Packers fans have a huge problem with this and there's nothing to say there.
    We had a problem with it at first. But refs need to enforce the rules as they see it in real time. That and the fact that Cundiff still had a shot to send it to overtime and choked.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a clear distinction in the officials' attitude between the halves. I think to be fair there weren't ENOUGH flags thrown in the first half, especially with the extra-curricular activity after the plays were whistled dead.
    That could be true. Then, too many flags started being thrown and for the wrong things. :P

We had a problem with it at first. But refs need to enforce the rules as they see it in real time. That and the fact that Cundiff still had a shot to send it to overtime and choked.
    Ah, okay. Yeah, Cundiff still had the opportunity to send it to overtime, but that's why he's out of a job now.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, okay. Yeah, Cundiff still had the opportunity to send it to overtime, but that's why he's out of a job now.
    Well, that's not the only reason he was cut. Ryan Tucker just plain outperformed him in the preseason. I think he missed one long attempt in the preseason and hasn't missed yet this season. Kickers are finicky creatures, once it gets in their head they can be screwed. I don't envy that position.

Good to see the Redskins picked Cundiff up though

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's not the only reason he was cut. Ryan Tucker just plain outperformed him in the preseason. I think he missed one long attempt in the preseason and hasn't missed yet this season. Kickers are finicky creatures, once it gets in their head they can be screwed. I don't envy that position.

Good to see the Redskins picked Cundiff up though
    Ah, okay.

Well, RG3 hasn't won except for the Saints game, so we'll see. :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member predsfan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one disappointed that the referee lockout looks like it could come to an end? Granted, I'm not really super invested in the NFL apart from 3 or 4 teams (I think I root against more teams than I root for ) I seriously love these Replacement Refs. It's hilarious to me, and therefore, entertaining as hell. Now if I had money on the Packers/Seahawks game that might be a different story.

In other news, I'm absolutely loving that the Saints are 0-3. By far the best story for me of the season
    This Post Available in Double Vision [Where Drunk]
    "I am the man with no name. Zapp Brannigan at your service."

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

It's sideshow entertainment and interesting but no, I'm not sad that we'll have legitimate refs.

What will be funny is how the next big blown call will be put under a microscope

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

So, the lockout is officially over and Adam Schefter reports that there will be regular refs at the Browns-Ravens game on Thursday night, or in other words, in like 20 hours.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

So, the lockout is officially over and Adam Schefter reports that there will be regular refs at the Browns-Ravens game on Thursday night, or in other words, in like 20 hours.
    Thank gawd.

It's funny how speculation said refs had to get physicals and fitted for uniforms and all this nonsense, amounting a week being needed once the lockout was ended

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank gawd.

It's funny how speculation said refs had to get physicals and fitted for uniforms and all this nonsense, amounting a week being needed once the lockout was ended
    Well, Gary, on the plus side for you, your Ravens got to be part of the second most questionable game under the replacement refs as well as hosting the first game with the regular refs back.

Just like with the official odds for games, I've always ignored speculation such as that one about time being required for the regular refs to be put back.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

If you're interested, Adam Schefter will be live talking about it on SportsCenter in about a minute or so.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Gary, on the plus side for you, your Ravens got to be part of the second most questionable game under the replacement refs as well as hosting the first game with the regular refs back.

Just like with the official odds for games, I've always ignored speculation such as that one about time being required for the regular refs to be put back.
    Why is that a plus necessarily, Frosty?

That's a bit different though. I had heard the same thing from a more than a few NFL "expects" or "insiders".

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is that a plus necessarily, Frosty?

That's a bit different though. I had heard the same thing from a more than a few NFL "expects" or "insiders".
    Well, Mr. Bear, you guys get to be part of, although not the primary reason why, the return to the regular refs (as even before the Packers fiasco, people were heavily upset about the refereeing problems in the Sunday night game) and now you get to have the honor of ushering back in the regular refs.

The real plus for you guys is that you won a potentially huge game and successfully navigated the terrible refereeing in what is probably your biggest regular season home game of the year, even bigger than the game against the Steelers. Now, the Patriots aren't your rival like the Steelers are, but for home field advantage it was a more important game, plus with the Steelers struggling this season, you get my drift.

I primarily only trust Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on these things. Until I get news from one of them, I'm usually rather suspect of rumors that I hear, because they have been so often false.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; September 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Mr. Bear, you guys get to be part of, although not the primary reason why, the return to the regular refs (as even before the Packers fiasco, people were heavily upset about the refereeing problems in the Sunday night game) and now you get to have the honor of ushering back in the regular refs.

I primarily only trust Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on these things. Until I get news from one of them, I'm usually rather suspect of rumors that I hear, because they have been so often false.
    Okay, then you were just being a smartass then

Schefter is one of the people who mentioned such a timetable actually. Another person was on NFL Network.

New Reply
Page 35 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast