Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I don't buy into this "Let's fine/suspend people for past offenses" thing that the NFL's trying right now. I'm all for looking through the tape each week and fining people for those hits, but not looking through the past several years and making a judgment there.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a fundamental issue with the hypocrisy of those running the league. It's changed how the game is played. Your basically not allowed to hit the QB anymore, neither are you allowed to hit a player trying to catch a ball with the intent to prevent them from catching it.

Player safety, player safety, player safety...yet they still want to extend the regular season.

I think Goodell is a joke of a commissioner basically. Thankfully the product is still good enough to where his tenure hasn't really HURT the game in any foreseeable way...yet

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well, I don't buy into this "Let's fine/suspend people for past offenses" thing that the NFL's trying right now. I'm all for looking through the tape each week and fining people for those hits, but not looking through the past several years and making a judgment there.
    If someone is being repeatedly fined for illegal hits, then it should result in further action. I have no issue with this when someone is making no effort to follow the rules. But Ed Reed? He's not your typical badass-psycho spouting off in the papers about hurting people and posing on the cover of magazines with guns in his hands *cough*JamesHarrison*cough*. Being fined three times in three years...? Meh

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    There's a fundamental issue with the hypocrisy of those running the league. It's changed how the game is played. Your basically not allowed to hit the QB anymore, neither are you allowed to hit a player trying to catch a ball with the intent to prevent them from catching it.

Player safety, player safety, player safety...yet they still want to extend the regular season.

I think Goodell is a joke of a commissioner basically. Thankfully the product is still good enough to where his tenure hasn't really HURT the game in any foreseeable way...yet
    I think that Goodell has hurt the league pretty severely, actually. I'm all for player safety, but at times the new rules are leaving defensive players with no options.

If someone is being repeatedly fined for illegal hits, then it should result in further action. I have no issue with this when someone is making no effort to follow the rules. But Ed Reed? He's not your typical badass-psycho spouting off in the papers about hurting people and posing on the cover of magazines with guns in his hands *cough*JamesHarrison*cough*. Being fined three times in three years...? Meh
    Yeah, we know James Harrison is a bit crazy.

Actually, ESPN didn't say that Ed Reed had been fined for all three of the hits, just that those were the three hits that were considered in terms of the suspension.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I think that Goodell has hurt the league pretty severely, actually. I'm all for player safety, but at times the new rules are leaving defensive players with no options.

Yeah, we know James Harrison is a bit crazy.

Actually, ESPN didn't say that Ed Reed had been fined for all three of the hits, just that those were the three hits that were considered in terms of the suspension.
    I'm saying hurting the game in terms of its profits. And even with the rule changes, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching the game and being fan. So it's empty criticism in effect.

That's even murkier. Goodell is such a joke

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying hurting the game in terms of its profits. And even with the rule changes, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying watching the game and being fan. So it's empty criticism in effect.

That's even murkier. Goodell is such a joke
    Well, when they brought us those replacement refs, they were hurting the actual game, not just the money side of the enterprise.

Yup, that's Goodell for you. He also suspended the Saints' players without any hard evidence, just hearsay.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up watching football in the 80's and 90's, it was practically a different game. I miss seeing big, highlight reel hits. I also remember concussions ending Steve Young and Troy Aikman's career while they could still play. I do not think the rule change has hurt the NFL though, I think they have actually made the league more popular. Casual fans do not want defensive battles, they want offense. The rule changes have made passing easier and scoring higher. I wonder how much casual fans even care about how the Saints bounty scandal was handled, or how many even knew who Jonathan Vilma was. I imagine to many people the Saints are only Drew Brees.

The rule that really pisses me off is the one that prevents DB's from touching receivers after five yards. Preventing head injuries I can understand. The "Ty Law" rule is only their to give offenses an additional advantage.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so tired of these stupid fines and suspension coming down so randomly. If the NFL even wants to pretend to be fair they need to do is making some actual guidelines.

1st offense of _____ costs you ______
    2nd offense of ______ costs you ______
    3rd offense of_______ costs you ______ and a suspension for _____

Then say, starting the day the rule is made, everybody is at square one. You violate the rules you get the punishment. Simple and fair, none of this fining whoever Goodell's office feels like, whatever they feel like. This whole Ed Reed thing is so retroactive, just like the James Harrison stuff was. Make a rule and tell people to follow it. Making a rule and then punishing people for not following that rule before you changed it, and/or what the punishments for violating it were, is asinine.

------------------------------------------------

In general I think they just need to do a better job balancing things. If they give defenses a disadvantage then they need to give one to offenses too. Loosen the rules on pass interference, allow more contact with WR's. It's so stupid that these passing records being established mean almost nothing because the NFL has changed the rules to favor the offense to the degree that 30-50 pt games are common.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

To go along with what you guys are saying, listening to talk radio this morning a local guy brought up a really good point. Where are the fines for offensive players? If they're trying to make the game safer, why is it so damn disproportionate? Why is A, B, and C being asked of defensive players but nothing is being asked of offensive players? There are simply no parallels that can be drawn in any other sport where both sides of the ball are treated SO differently when it comes to rules.

A good game is a good games...I don't care if it's a defensive battle, and high-scoring game or both.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The Cowboys really suck. Garrett is an even worse coach than I remember.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Maybe not. This is the guy that iced his own kicker last year
    Last edited by Kaiten; November 22, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan is determined not to put Tebow in no matter the score. Well, I could care less at this point their season is done and the Patriots are moving ahead.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

loltebowcomingin30pointsbehindagainsttombrady

Sanchez is going to make an awesome inactive third string quarterback someday. He's like a better looking Patrick Ramsey.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASED Shinigami View Post
    Rex Ryan is determined not to put Tebow in no matter the score. Well, I could care less at this point their season is done and the Patriots are moving ahead.
    I don't get it. It's becoming more and more obvious that Ryan had little say in him being acquired.

When your starting QB tackles HIMSELF by smashing his face on his linemen's ass and fumbling it...I mean, what?

I know it was a botched play, but how is that explainable? ...WHAT?

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets are such a dysfunctional franchise. Who knows how much of a role Ryan had in acquiring Tebow. The coaching staff must not have had much say, considering they don't even put him in for trick plays, wild cat, or spread/option packages. The trade never made sense from the very beginning.

Sanchez is a joke. He's been exposed ever since that defense started to decline.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The important part is that the Patriots won, let's not forget that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Boston College could also beat the Jets, considering the state they are in

New Reply
Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast