Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Thread

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well, I changed it to above average coach. Originally I had it as average, but I changed it to above average because he was good at first.

In fact, I think that Andy Reid was fairly poor. In fact, even when he was expected to win, he never won. For years, the NFC East was just as pitiful as the AFC East.

I see so many people go on about the 7 NFC East titles and act like that makes Andy Reid an amazing coach. You know what? Sean Payton >>> Andy Reid. Mike McCarthy >>> Andy Reid. Tom Coughlin >> Andy Reid.
    It's because the barometer is Super Bowl rings. But to say Andy Reid was a fairly poor coach is nonsense, sorry. If he wants to work next season, he'll be the most sought after coach and for good reason.

Again, just like being spoiled with Tom Brady, you've been spoiled with Belichick.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    It's because the barometer is Super Bowl rings. But to say Andy Reid was a fairly poor coach is nonsense, sorry. If he wants to work next season, he'll be the most sought after coach and for good reason.

Again, just like being spoiled with Tom Brady, you've been spoiled with Belichick.
    It's true, as a Pats fan in this generation, I was gifted with being able to watch a top five QB and a top five coach of all time in action week in and week out.

Yeah, the barometer is SB rings and Andy Reid never got over the hump. In fact, the Eagles were favored against the Pats and Belichick outcoached him and brought the ring back to Foxborough.

The last four seasons, I would say that Andy Reid has been pretty bad. He's better than Rex Ryan, but that's not saying that much. There are like seven or eight teams that would want him, but his tactics and style haven't been working for a while.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

It's true, as a Pats fan in this generation, I was gifted with being able to watch a top five QB and a top five coach of all time in action week in and week out.

Yeah, the barometer is SB rings and Andy Reid never got over the hump. In fact, the Eagles were favored against the Pats and Belichick outcoached him and brought the ring back to Foxborough.
    Not every coach even gets to the Conference Championship, much less a single Super Bowl.

The last four seasons, I would say that Andy Reid has been pretty bad. He's better than Rex Ryan, but that's not saying that much. There are like seven or eight teams that would want him, but his tactics and style haven't been working for a while.
    Again, you're just wrong. The last two years have been disasters. I would chalk that up to personnel mistakes more than anything else. Andy Reid's style of offense was ahead of it's time. We all used to harp and go on and on about how he never ran the ball and that he liked the pass too much. What exactly has the league become since then? Pass-happy. The guy has been the example of consistency over the last 14 years. To label him as fairly poor or even only above average is absolutely ridiculous Frosty. Just look at all these retreads the basement teams march out every 2-3 years that accomplish nothing. Reid benefited from loyalty from Lurie most likely, but his list of accomplishments speak for themselves. The guy never benefited from having an all-time elite QB, so you can't use that an excuse either. The guy was and is a great head coach.

Is Brian Billick a better head coach than him? Even as a Ravens fan from day one I wouldn't say yes. What about Dick Vermeil? Barry Switzer? Jon Gruden? I'd take Andy Reid over all of them.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy Reid the GM did not provide Andy Reid the coach enough talent to win football games. Personnel decisions are ultimately what cost Reid his job. Last year he tried buying a Super Bowl, which does not work in the NFL. Teams have to be built through the draft.

I would not say Mike Mccarthy is a better coach than Andy Reid. Actually, I would say they share many of the same flaws. Mccarthy's clock management is horrible, his play calling is often suspect, and his challenges are often suspect. Andy Reid is solid, maybe not as good as his record would indicate, but a very good coach. I agree with Gary, he'll have his choice of jobs whenever he decides he wants to coach again.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, Gary, Kaiten, but I just don't like Andy Reid as a coach, and I'm not considering the Andy Reid GM part of it. You're never going to convince me otherwise. What I've seen out of him in all the time that I've watched football is someone who's overrated and while he's had results at times, he's been resting on his laurels since the 04/05 season. Three consecutive years, the Eagles lost in the NFC Championship game before losing to the Pats in the SB, but since then, the Eagles haven't been as good, and the last several years, Andy Reid's been a big part of their struggles. He's won division titles, sure, but the Eagles franchise is never one that I look at as a serious contender. The fact that they have kept Andy Reid so long, has, in my opinion, made them worse than they would've been without him.

Look at the Cowboys, they've won division titles and made the playoffs, but their coaches and Romo have let them down time and time again.

I firmly believe that Andy Reid lacks the ability to inspire his players these days. At one point, he could inspire them, but these days, no.

Belichick's a great coach, although he also had the benefit of Tom Brady, but in the beginning, it was based on defense and not Tom at all. Belichick built his career on being a great defensive coach. To be honest, Belichick the GM has been kind of up and down the last five or so years. Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, and Ridley have worked out, but most of the LBs and DBs he's drafted haven't worked out, and as a defensive coach, that's not great. Ras'i Dowling, anyone?
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 31, 2012 at 01:13 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Cowboys, they've won division titles and made the playoffs, but their coaches and Romo have let them down time and time again.
    In Andy Reid's time with the Eagles they've won their division 6 times and made the Postseason 9 times, made it to the NFC Championship 4 times, and to the Super Bowl once. In the same time-span, the Cowboys won the division TWICE and won a SINGLE playoff game. You can't possibly be comparing their underachieving as a franchise to the Eagles can you?

You might not want him coaching your team, but who would pick him over Belichick really?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

In Andy Reid's time with the Eagles they've won their division 6 times and made the Postseason 9 times, made it to the NFC Championship 4 times, and to the Super Bowl once. In the same time-span, the Cowboys won the division TWICE and won a SINGLE playoff game. You can't possibly be comparing their underachieving as a franchise to the Eagles can you?

You might not want him coaching your team, but who would pick him over Belichick really?
    Out of everything I posted, that's what you choose to quote?

I was just commenting on how much of a struggling team the Cowboys have been, even worse than the Eagles. I was saying that the NFC East has been a struggling division and even though the Eagles have won all of those division titles, it's equivalent to how the Patriots have won the division like 10 of the last 11 years, although not that much dominance. However, whereas the Patriots have been a good team every year, a lot of those years, the Eagles weren't that great.

Have you watched Andy Reid's press conferences? He's horrible in front of the microphone. A head coach who can't even sit in front of reporters and make clear answers is just laughable. I can't stand Andy Reid and, honestly, I want to see him just out of the league. It's not going to happen, but he's just destroyed the Eagles franchise the last few years.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We should really be focusing on what really matters: The Eagles suck, the Giants suck, and the Cowboys suck especially loud and hard. The Cowboys could not have made tonight's game easier. Romo threw three picks, two in the first quarter. The coaching staff decided they would not lose to the pass, kept the safeties back, and left easy running lanes for Alfred Morris all game. Not a single adjustment, all game long. Garret passed on a 52 yard field goal early. The Redskins were slow running the field goal team off the field. If Dallas had snapped the ball in a timely manner we would have been called for 12 men on the field, giving Dallas an easy field goal. Seahawks - Redskins should be a great game, between the two hottest teams in the NFC.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Andy Reid is a great coach. He's not Belichick or Sean Peyton. But he's still a good coach, worthy of another head coaching job. It's not like he's Norv Turner or Romeo Crennel. We also should not forget how much of an impact Jim Johnson's death had on the Eagles. Jim Johnson was Andy Reid's defensive foil. A competent replacement was never found. The Eagles defense was never quite the same.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Division titles can not be qualified. The AFC East has been awful for years. The Jets are a consistently terrible franchise, the Dolphins have never recovered from Marino retiring, and the Bills are the Bills. That does not take away from the Patriots accomplishments under Belichick. Nor does losing two Super Bowls.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of everything I posted, that's what you choose to quote?

I was just commenting on how much of a struggling team the Cowboys have been, even worse than the Eagles. I was saying that the NFC East has been a struggling division and even though the Eagles have won all of those division titles, it's equivalent to how the Patriots have won the division like 10 of the last 11 years, although not that much dominance. However, whereas the Patriots have been a good team every year, a lot of those years, the Eagles weren't that great.

Have you watched Andy Reid's press conferences? He's horrible in front of the microphone. A head coach who can't even sit in front of reporters and make clear answers is just laughable. I can't stand Andy Reid and, honestly, I want to see him just out of the league. It's not going to happen, but he's just destroyed the Eagles franchise the last few years.
    I quoted it because it was sandwiched in between the Andy Reid criticism. Sorry for assuming they were related

How have the Patriots been in the last 5 seasons? They're the Eagles of this decade thus far, and they're halfway there to the Buffalo Bills of this century. Would you say they're successful or not? Is Bill Belichick riding the wave of success from his Super Bowl wins ten years ago? Is he wasting draft picks and making odd personnel decisions?

Have you watched any of Bill Belichick's press conferences?...are you really serious with that dude? I don't care if my head coach gets up there and talks about his feet every Monday, as long as he's successful.

I really don't get the vitriol you have for the guy. Yeah he's pretty boring and makes questionable decisions. I would think you'd hope he'd stay on and make it to the Super Bowl again since your Patriots would have a shot at winning a title again...not like the Rams or Panthers have the talent to get there

#postseason=trashtalkseason

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I quoted it because it was sandwiched in between the Andy Reid criticism. Sorry for assuming they were related
    Well, I was watching tv at the time and went back and edited that part in about how much the Cowboys suck, so... :P

How have the Patriots been in the last 5 seasons? They're the Eagles of this decade thus far, and they're halfway there to the Buffalo Bills of this century. Would you say they're successful or not? Is Bill Belichick riding the wave of success from his Super Bowl wins ten years ago? Is he wasting draft picks and making odd personnel decisions?

Have you watched any of Bill Belichick's press conferences?...are you really serious with that dude? I don't care if my head coach gets up there and talks about his feet every Monday, as long as he's successful.
    The Pats have been up and down the last few years. We went 18-0 and then failed in the SB and then were the better team the whole season last season, but a few mistakes here or there cost us. If Welker catches that ball, we would've won the SB and we'd be sitting here talking about how the Pats finally got back to winning ways.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I said that, at least to some degree, the Hoodie has been riding his previous SB successes for a long time. He hasn't been making the right decisions as a GM for a while now.

I was kidding around about that. I'm actually amused when Belichick gets up there and goes, "No comment" or "I don't want to talk about that." I do think that Belichick's press conferences are certainly more interesting that Andy Reid's, even if he says virtually nothing. Belichick's press conferences sum up to, "The guys played well and we won" or "We lost, what else is there to say?"

I really don't get the vitriol you have for the guy. Yeah he's pretty boring and makes questionable decisions. I would think you'd hope he'd stay on and make it to the Super Bowl again since your Patriots would have a shot at winning a title again...not like the Rams or Panthers have the talent to get there

#postseason=trashtalkseason
    I just can't stand him. I don't know what it is, precisely, but I just do not like Andy Reid at all. The Eagles have been poor enough that they haven't even gotten to the NFC Championship game for a while, so Andy Reid can't hand us another SB. If the stars aligned properly, Cam Newton could get to the SB, but realistically, Cam's Panthers are never going anywhere. Hey, unlike Colin Kaepernick, we actually beat the Rams this season.

All of my hatred for Andy Reid aside, what are your playoff predictions?

On a good day, the Ravens can play really well, but that good day hasn't been around for a while. The Pats beat the Broncos in NE, but that was a long time ago and the game would be in Denver this time, so I don't know. The Texans, Colts, and Bengals aren't going anywhere, imo, although I could see Pats vs Colts and Denver vs Bengals in the second round.

For the NFC, I don't know. While I like AP, the Vikings don't have enough to win in the playoffs. Maybe the 49ers or maybe the Packers.

I can't even decide on a SB match up though. Before the season, I thought we'd see Pats vs Packers, but now, I don't know.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 31, 2012 at 02:52 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

All of my hatred for Andy Reid aside, what are your playoff predictions?

On a good day, the Ravens can play really well, but that good day hasn't been around for a while. The Pats beat the Broncos in NE, but that was a long time ago and the game would be in Denver this time, so I don't know. The Texans, Colts, and Bengals aren't going anywhere, imo.

For the NFC, I don't know. While I like AP, the Vikings don't have enough to win in the playoffs. Maybe the 49ers or maybe the Packers.

I can't even decide on a SB match up though. Before the season, I thought we'd see Pats vs Packers, but now, I don't know.
    It was around last week. But I guess you could say the Giants blew their wad earlier in the season. They still had something to play for, but they got smashed anyway.

I think the NFC is stronger this year. The Seahawks scare me for some reason, even though I can't stand Pete Carroll. You can't say they can't win coming East anymore since they did it twice this year. Postseason football can be a different animal, but they're favored on the road against the Redskins right now. I'm not sure how I feel about the 49ers right now, especially with a rookie QB that has a last name other than Griffin, Luck, or Wilson. I don't think the Vikings can go far because Ponder is very up and down when the game is in his hands. There will be a lot of pressure on the Falcons to finally win, they have no more excuses...except for Mike Smith being a moron.

As far as the AFC goes - The Broncos are favored and for good reason. The Colts might be a tough out for us, I don't know. They're on an emotional high and I know Pagano will want to come home and rub our faces in it. There isn't any love for the Irsay family in this town, and while I'm happy for Chuck, the Colts are the Colts...so fuck 'em. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat them at home, but who knows. The Texans being one and out wouldn't surprise me, they've been really disappointing and that defense has gotten worse every week since Cushing was lost for the season. In fact, I hope Cincy wins, as I'd rather not have to go to Denver that early. The Patriots aren't as good as the Broncos, but they can still dismantle you. They're beatable IMO and I'd welcome the Ravens going up there if they can win Sunday.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

BREAKING NEWS ON ESPN!

Andy Reid is fired, but Rex Ryan returns. Tannenbaum got fired though.

No one cares about the Browns, Chiefs, or Chargers firings. :P

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

The Bills and the Bears get in on the head coach firing as well.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprising that Buddy Nix still has a job. He's an awful GM, strange that the Bills have not yet completely cleaned house. Anyone with award predictions?
    • MVP: Adrian Peterson
    • Defensive Player of the Year: J.J. Watt
    • Offensive Rookie of the Year: Robert Griffin III
    • Defensive Rookie of the Year: Janoris Jenkins
    • Coach of the Year: Bruce Arians
    Interim coaches are eligible for coach of the year. Considering the circumstances, the job Bruce Arians did this year was unquestionably remarkable. Among rookies, Janoris Jenkins was second to Casey Hayward in total interceptions. Jenkins though returned three interceptions for touchdowns, tied for the league lead in defensive touchdowns. That should give him the edge for DRY. Hayward and Luke Kuechly are a close second and third, in my mind. Offensive Rookie of the Year is close, but I give RGIII the edge. The Redkskins improved from a five win team to a ten win team with him at quarterback, and won the NFC East for the first time since 1999. He also holds the statistical edge, leading all rookies in quarterback rating, completion percentage, yards per attempt, and had the fewest turnovers of any rookie QB. Andrew Luck tied Mark Sanchez for second most interceptions thrown this season. Russel Wilson should be runner up, with Luck in third place. J.J. Watt was dominant this year, though I think DPY will be a close call between him and Von Miller. I have AP as my MVP, but I have a feeling Peyton has a better chance of winning. 6.0 yards per carry on 348 attempts is mind boggling, an almost incomprehensible achievement.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 31, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Who I think should win:
    • MVP: Adrian Peterson
    • Defensive Player of the Year: Von Miller
    • Offensive Rookie of the Year: Robert Griffin III
    • Coach of the Year: Bruce Arians
    • Comeback Player of the Year: Peyton Manning

Who I believe will win:
    • MVP: Peyton Manning (QBs win over RBs)
    • Defensive Player of the Year: J.J. Watt (he had a poor year at the end, and even though he had 20.5 sacks, he's not a real impact player in big games)
    • Offensive Rookie of the Year: Andrew Luck (he was the third best rookie QB, but it's the way the NFL is)
    • Coach of the Year: Mike Shanahan/Pete Carroll (I can't decide, but I think one of the two will get it)
    • Comeback Player of the Year: Adrian Peterson
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 31, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I didn't expect for there to be this many firings in one day. It's like every single bad team in the league fired one of their personnel whether it be coach or general manager. I bet these guys are saying f**k news years right now
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

New Reply
Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast