Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 5 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football/Soccer Thread

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Binky's Avatar
    Country
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Football/Soccer Thread

Petrov. Well, three months after signing a four-year contract with us, we won the title, he wandered around on his own refusing to celebrate, and then allowed stories to be leaked that he'd had a huge argument with our manager, Gordon Strachan, these stories were later proven to be false, and he basically used them to try to get the fans to turn on the manager and stay on Petrov's side through the whole thing. Then he starts pushing for a transfer, and even has the cheek to claim that the only reason he signed his new contract was so Celtic would get more money for him, despite the club saying explicitly that their understanding was that he fully intended to stay until 2010, which is why they went to the bother of offering him a new contract in the first place. Anyway, Martin O'Neill goes to Villa, off goes Petrov, we're £8 million richer, all is done, right? Nah, then he has to start with moaning about how he was treated, how every Premiership game is better than any Old Firm game and so on. There were also a few other things, he faked injury more than once, threw a couple of fits over contracts and so on. Basically he just represents the money-hunting no respect for the club footballer, but it's the fact that he tried to engineer situations and lie about things to make people like him that was the final straw. Football is an entertainment industry, to treat fans, who are of course the lifeblood of any entertainment industry so badly is very poor. If he'd left under normal circumstances he'd have remained very well thought of, a player who was with the club for a long time, and whilst not as good as our truly legendary players would have been remembered universally as a great. Larsson did it the proper way, a model professional in every way, Petrov behaved about as badly as a player can in a transfer situation, I probably overreact, because it's common in football these days, but it was really depressing days after winning the league.

What do you think of Carew in general? I haven't seen much French football recently, but I remember him from Valencia and I saw highlights from the Real Madrid v Lyon game this season and he's always seemed a very good player to me. Is he unsettled because he's not getting enough games at Lyon or is it for another reason, because it seems strange he'd want to leave probably one of the top three teams in the world right now. Lyon would have been my favourites for the CL a few weeks ago, but Man Utd are looking great now, although it'll be interesting what Ferguson does if Roonery goes another four or five games without scoring.

What's up with Riise?

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

@Alex-san: Let's not forget something. Dennis Bergkamp came from Inter with less than satisfying career in Serie A. And Thierry Henry moved from Juventus after spending several years playing way below his recent years form. Kanu, who was mistakenly diagnosed with a heart condition, showed his skill when he was in Arsenal. Even the current first team defender Toure, he wasn't that good when he was promoted to the first team.
    It's Wenger's cool hand that transform those players into the players they are now (or was, in Bergkamp's case ).

Though I'm a Man Utd's fan, I think Wenger does a better job in choosing the right position for his players. For instance, take a look at Flamini. The Frenchman now play as a left back and he's doing just ok, considering that he's a midfielder.

@Binky: I agree with you about Nakamura. IMO, he's currently having a good carrer run, even better than Nakata.
    I never knew he did that. I never really pay attention to Petrov.
    May i ask you something? What's with Chelsea Dagger? Other than the fact that The Fratellis are Celtic fans

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member *Mel*'s Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

XD Brazil against Argentina now on the sub-20 (of course Brazil is gonna win ^^)
    Paulista Championship:
    Place - Team - Points - Games - Win - Draw - Lose - Goals - Goals against - Averange - Rate
    1º Juventus 3 1 1 0 0 3 0 3 100%
    Marília 3 1 1 0 0 3 0 3 100%
    Noroeste 3 1 1 0 0 4 2 2 100%
    Palmeiras 3 1 1 0 0 4 2 2 100%
    Corinthians 3 1 1 0 0 3 1 2 100%
    São Paulo 3 1 1 0 0 3 1 2 100%
    São Caetano 3 1 1 0 0 2 0 2 100%
    Santos 3 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 100%
    Rio Claro 3 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 100%
    10º Bragantino 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 33%
    Ituano 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 33%
    12º Barueri 0 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0%
    América 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0%
    Paulista 0 1 0 0 1 2 4 -2 0%
    São Bento 0 1 0 0 1 2 4 -2 0%
    Ponte Preta 0 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0%
    Sertãozinho 0 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0%
    Guaratinguetá 0 1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0%
    Rio Branco 0 1 0 0 1 0 3 -3 0%
    Santo André 0 1 0 0 1 0 3 -3 0%

^^ Credits to split =D

Country
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ichimaru_gin_n_tonic
    @Binky: I agree with you about Nakamura. IMO, he's currently having a good carrer run, even better than Nakata.
    I never knew he did that. I never really pay attention to Petrov.
    May i ask you something? What's with Chelsea Dagger? Other than the fact that The Fratellis are Celtic fans
    Nakamura is doing great, but hell, even if he hadn't scored important goals and so on for us, I'd love him anyway, he's one of those players who always looks composed and graceful (Even when he actually isn't ).

I haven't got a clue about Chelsea Dagger, I kinda like the tune though, maybe they requested it to be played or something, or they might just have picked it randomly, most of the 'Celtic Songs' are warbled/crooned by 1950's style singers, so a change of pace is good.

C'mon the Corinthians, I played as them once in Football Manager, so now I must support them, even though it's kind of a daft reason.

Anyone else hear about Sebastian Deisler retiring at 27? Poor guy had no luck whatsoever, he looked unbelievable at times, could have been one of the great German players if things had went slightly differently, hope he has better luck at whatever he does next.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member *Mel*'s Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    C'mon the Corinthians, I played as them once in Football Manager, so now I must support them, even though it's kind of a daft reason.
    =P I hate Corinthians

^^ Credits to split =D

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Anyone else hear about Sebastian Deisler retiring at 27? Poor guy had no luck whatsoever, he looked unbelievable at times, could have been one of the great German players if things had went slightly differently, hope he has better luck at whatever he does next.
    Havent heard about that one. It's too bad a good player like him have to loose his career. There was one time when i thought that he's German's answer to David Beckham. Looks like they got the wrong answer.
    There are other players who was forced to retire because of serious injury, like Luc Nillis, Jamie Redknapp or Marc Overmars and there are those who simply gave up football like Hidetoshi Nakata. Anyone still remember Marc Vivien Foe? If i'm not mistaken he died during a match defending his country.

By the way it's half time in Anfield with Liverpool two goals ahead of Chelsea thanks to goals by Kuyt in the 4th minute and Jermaine Pennant with a great shot in the 19th minute. I laughed real hard when i saw Peter Cech wore that "helmet". Mourinho is pushing it, I hope Cech wont get injured again. I'm no Chelsea fan, but i hate to see a great goalkeeper like Cech retired in a very young age (for a goalkeeper).

See you guys tomorrow, gonna hit the town now

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Seiken's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

@Alex-san: Let's not forget something. Dennis Bergkamp came from Inter with less than satisfying career in Serie A. And Thierry Henry moved from Juventus after spending several years playing way below his recent years form. Kanu, who was mistakenly diagnosed with a heart condition, showed his skill when he was in Arsenal. Even the current first team defender Toure, he wasn't that good when he was promoted to the first team.
    It's Wenger's cool hand that transform those players into the players they are now (or was, in Bergkamp's case ).
    And not to forget Patrick Vieira!

Well, Carew is not THAT bad. But he is not stable enough. Still, I have to admit that he has been at least decent at every club he has played for. But he a tragedy for the national team. That bugs me.

Riise? Hmm, he mostly extremly overrated by the national press. Which is kinda ironic considering that take every oppertunity to mock him. Like once when he sent a textmessage to about 12 different norwegian female celebrities, asking if they would date him. Its kinda patetic, cause he sent the same message to every one of them, all within an hour! And everyone refused him. Thats one hell of a burn!

Be yourself; Everyone else is taken

Thanks RaZe for the awesome sig!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Havent heard about that one. It's too bad a good player like him have to loose his career. There was one time when i thought that he's German's answer to David Beckham. Looks like they got the wrong answer.
    Ah... But Germany still have a great young player in Bastian Schweinsteiger. His performance in the last World Cup is simply amazing ^^ His goals are great too. I wonder how far he will go. Some says he's going to be as great as Klinsmann or Matthaus.

Eroge Danchou MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Xophien's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone still remember Marc Vivien Foe? If i'm not mistaken he died during a match defending his country.
    Yeah, during the Confederations Cup semi-finals in 2003, because of an heart atatck. He was a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-san
    Well, Carew is not THAT bad. But he is not stable enough. Still, I have to admit that he has been at least decent at every club he has played for. But he a tragedy for the national team. That bugs me.
    Well, he was pretty decent last year for Lyon, but this year he doesn't do more than warming the bench. But well, strikers aren't successful at Lyon, most of their goals are scored by the midfielders, Juninho and Malouda

Quote Originally Posted by bax
    Ah... But Germany still have a great young player in Bastian Schweinsteiger. His performance in the last World Cup is simply amazing ^^ His goals are great too. I wonder how far he will go. Some says he's going to be as great as Klinsmann or Matthaus.
    I admit he was quite impressive during the World Cup, but it's probably a bit too soon to say he'll be as great as Klinsmann or Matthaus

Art by 双瀬 聖

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xophien
    I admit he was quite impressive during the World Cup, but it's probably a bit too soon to say he'll be as great as Klinsmann or Matthaus
    Yeah.. as I thought ^^ He's just 22. Plus, to be as great as the legends.. he needsto play in more World Cups ^^

Mangahelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Well damn it. Liverpool won
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

Country
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Huzzah, decent enough game that one, and a good win for Liverpool, I really love Peter Crouch.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Gingin talking about Bergkamp earlier made me want to watch this goal again :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v64exGkaD_Y

I still don't get it. It's one of the most amazing goals ever, and I can't understand how he did that

Art by 双瀬 聖

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Seiken's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xophien
    By the way, Gingin talking about Bergkamp earlier made me want to watch this goal again :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v64exGkaD_Y

I still don't get it. It's one of the most amazing goals ever, and I can't understand how he did that
    Hehe, all hail the flying dutchman!

What about this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvzhsoKA7fk

Be yourself; Everyone else is taken

Thanks RaZe for the awesome sig!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, all hail the flying dutchman!
    The non-flying dutchman, since he has aviophobia

I didn't know this one, but it looks a lot like his goal against Argentina during the '98 World Cup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=014Nat-bKzA

Art by 双瀬 聖

Thread Closed
Page 5 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast