Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Interviews with Kubo Tite

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Frank918's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Interviews with Kubo Tite

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, or if this is even the proper forum to post this thread, BUT...

Have there been any recent interviews with Kubo or articles about him? Any news on his plans for Bleach or commentary on how the manga/anime series is doing? Anything at all?

I feel like we don't hear much from this guy. However, from what I do understand, there is an interview with him in the DiamondDust Rebellion movie guide posted in the other forum, but I'm not sure if it ever got translated. Does anyone know?

If anyone has answers to these questions, a link or something would be very much appreciated, as I'd love to hear what he has to say about Bleach's present or future-state.

P.S. While I'm on the topic, does anyone know any hard figures of Bleach's current popularity in Japan? Has it continued to grow? What about the popularity in North America? I would like to know if it is as popular now as it has been over the years.

Thanks everyone VERY much for taking the time to get answers to these questions.

Please post/discuss all interviews with Kubo in this thread ~igotthegoods
    Last edited by igotthegoods; November 05, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Inuhanyou123's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Word From Kubo???

1. He hasnt had a definite interview since before inoue left to hueco mundo.

2. The recent popularity poll should tell you the figures for the characters.

3. By ranking, Bleach is the 7th most watched Shounen anime series in japan.

Everything else is unknown or guesswork.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the information in the movie guide? It seems to be an interview, but I may be wrong.

And, this might sound stupid, but is 7th a good ranking? Or is 7th a relatively low ranking compared to what is used to be. Or is it not a good ranking at all? I appreciate the information, but I was curious as to what its popularity is relative to what it used to be (i.e. how it has changed) and to other shounen series.

I apologize; I should have elaborated. I appreciate the great info though.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

7th is a pretty good ranking, although the number of viewers for the anime has fallen SLIGHTLY in recent months(probably due to the fillers). Since 05 when the manga was rated best shounen and given the Shogakukan Manga Award, its sales have been been pretty consistent every month, and its made top sales in American book stores for months as well.

So i'd say, yes it was pretty popular in the states and in japan. Although the movie turnouts have been subpar.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your help, this is some particularly interesting information you have.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting these numbers from?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

There was an interview with Kubo in Weekly Shounen Jump near the end of January as the first part of "Manga Nou no Kitaekata" where Kubo went into some detail on his process for drawing Bleach, the music he plays while doing it, etc.
    See http://www.bleachasylum.com/showthre...767&page=9#top .
    Didn't anyone do a full translation?

(Not quite what you were looking for, but you did say "anything" ^^')

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperworm View Post
    There was an interview with Kubo in Weekly Shounen Jump near the end of January as the first part of "Manga Nou no Kitaekata" where Kubo went into some detail on his process for drawing Bleach, the music he plays while doing it, etc.
    See http://www.bleachasylum.com/showthre...767&page=9#top .
    Didn't anyone do a full translation?

(Not quite what you were looking for, but you did say "anything" ^^')
    That interview was an untranslated text from the "SOULS" databook that was just now translated in january. It wasnt from jump, he hasnt done jump in a while.

@Frank - Various sites, sometimes from the offical bleach site, and articles.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kazuma_uzumaki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It is kinda impressive to pull off both the anime and manga. He does more work on the anime then any other manga ka...

maybe thats why the plot is weak...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^

*Looks at Kazuma's username*

Lol, riiight... I smell a Narutard.

Personally, I wouldn't call Bleach's plot weak. Just because we've been, for a long time, in the wake of an enormous plot twist does not make the plot weak.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough posturing. HM arc was weak, face it. The fact that kubo managed to turn crap into silver at best is admirable though with the recent twist. Let's hope he manages to keep it up.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kazuma_uzumaki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank918 View Post
    ^^^

*Looks at Kazuma's username*

Lol, riiight... I smell a Narutard.

Personally, I wouldn't call Bleach's plot weak. Just because we've been, for a long time, in the wake of an enormous plot twist does not make the plot weak.
    its just a username thats easy for me to remember on sites >_>

i admit the plot was good in the beginning but he's dragging fights way too long

Quote Originally Posted by Inuhanyou123 View Post
    Enough posturing. HM arc was weak, face it. The fact that kubo managed to turn crap into silver at best is admirable though with the recent twist. Let's hope he manages to keep it up.

Lets just hope he doesnt go all Zombie Powder on us. Yes Bleach is popular enough but still...

I actually liked Zombie powder....

Kubo must be busy with his manga/anime scheduale so he probably doesnt have as much time as any other manga ka.

shouldn't there be some interview since jump festa happened not too long ago?
    Last edited by kazuma_uzumaki; March 18, 2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner VeshWolfe's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tite Kubo @ Comic-con

He was suppose to discuss the past, present, and future of his works...or so I heard on G4. Anyone know what he said, or if he said anything of interest?

Moderator message by: igotthegoods
    merged threads
    Last edited by igotthegoods; July 27, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo went to the Comic-Con in San Diego. This is what he said.

1:15 PM - Kubo has entered the stage in sunglasses. Looks like a pop star or something.

1:16 PM - Kubo presented with an award from Comic Con Int’l. From the cheers I can tell the audience just got much younger than from the preceding Transformers panel.

1:19 PM - 10 kids from Japan are here, Shounen Jump essay winners. Also, we will be getting limited edition posters as we leave.

1:20 PM - “I am very glad to see you all, thank you very much” –Kubo

1:22 PM - Kubo thinks this is “immensely huge” compared to Japanese events. First impressions of being in America: he had to get his passport for this. Strong sunlight makes everything colorful here.

1:25 PM - Has Kubo done any drawing in his time here? (He has to produce 19 pages a week, after all.) He actually worked ahead of time so he could home here. Not a procrastinator.

1:26 PM - Footage of his workspace. World exclusive. There are desks for his assistants as well, a big screen TV. Pictures of his chairs and metal suitcase he bought to come ovr here. A miniature TV just as decoration. A rare Bleach watch. Oddly enough, Bobobobo in some background art; he had asked a sketch/autograph exchange. The man has a vast CD collection, too (1200-1300 on a shelf; others stacked up). Picture of a kitchen, which is clean because they never cook!

1:32 PM - Upstairs: Kubo’s actual work area. Footage of him working with a ton of markers next to him. He’s coloring. HIs work chair was chosen based on design and he drew Aizen’s chair like it. Handing manuscripts and fan letters to his editor.

1:35 PM - Video portion over. Now questions from audience.

1:35 PM - What inspired him to become a manga artist? Decided when he was in elementary school. He became interested in architecture and design after he had already become a manga artist.

1:38 PM - What comes first in Bleach? : Kubo puts character, not plot, first.

1:39 PM - What inspired him to put Spanish/Mexican culture in Bleach? Nothing intentional with the character Chad. However, he just sensed he had a Mexican heritage. Someone in audience shouts “Viva La Raza!”

1:40 PM - Where does he come up with the opening drawings? He puts characters in clothes he can’t get.

1:40 PM - Advice for aspiring manga artists: Seems stumped…”believe in your talent.” Do something you yourself must enjoy; otherwise it’s dishonest to charge someone for your story.

1:41 PM - What was the initial thought for bleach? "Bleach was inspired by the fact that i wanted to draw shinigami in kimonos, and to make something no one had seen before, started with Rukia’s design."

1:42 PM - How did Quincy and its name come about (JEREMY’S QUESTION!): “I created Quincy to be Ichigo’s rival character, so, for that, I put him in white clothing.” He uses arrows because it’s long range, and it will be difficult for Ichigo to fight him. The Quincy name is from his five point star; in Japan this is a symbol. If you call every archer a “Quincy Archer” it sounds like a person’s name, so he liked it.

1:45 PM - How do you draw action scenes? Plays rock music in his head as he draws it. He pauses the action and try to swing around in 3D mentally to find the best angle.

1:46 PM - When did he realize he had such a big fanbase in the US? Yesterday!

1:47 PM - Pancha Diaz, Viz editor asks: What part of the process does he enjoy the most? When thinking of the story, if it’s something he’s been waiting to do for a while, he enjoys it very much. Usually has a scene rundown of things to draw in his head. Connecting scenes are a bit harder. Inking is also enjoyable for him.

1:49 PM - Pancha Diaz again: How long between drawing and publication? Between 2-3 weeks. Diaz, by contrast notes, has to do 6 months in advance.

1:50 PM - Will there be an Isshin backstory? Yes! He knew from the start he was a Soul Reaper.

1:51 PM - Three minutes left. Is the Kon doll inspired by something from his childhood? Wanted to create something fake looking, where you put random things together–like a sewing line in the middle of the face. Backstory: a father bought a cheap stuffed animal for his child, and the child threw it away because it was ugly–that’s why he is on the street.

1:54 PM - Idea for Hell Butterflies: Looked up in a dictionary for word that goes well with “Soul Reaper.” It is a kind of butterfly that is another name for a real butterfly species. Prefers to fly in the dark, and it fits well with the Soul Reapers.

End of panel.

Please consider the fact that this is an American interview in America the Manga hasn't progressed nearly as far. In fact I'm not to sure whether they've even reached HM. In other words they don't bootleg copies online like us
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; July 27, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

14. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the interview, onomatopoeia ^^ but may i ask what your source is?

lol, it comes as no surprise to me that kubo places characters above plot. well, at least he's being honest about it

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member decadencia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!! isshin back story?! where u at comic-con? whats ur source?

and for the record, the US finds itself currently in the first 3 chapters of volume 25 as of the latest jump, sept issue

New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast