Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mx0 by yasuhiro kano

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Mx0 Mx0 by yasuhiro kano

Title: Mx0
    Genres: Shonen, Magic, Action, Comedy, Ecchi,...
    Author/Artist: Yasuhiro Kano (known from pretty face)
    Publication: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Start Date: May, 2006
    End Date: Ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 87
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 86
    Banner with some pics credits to neru:
    Spoiler show

General Overview:
    The series centers around Taiga Kuzumi who has plans to join Seinagi Private High School. During an interview to determine if he can attend this school, Kuzumi is asked what he would do if he could use magic. He answers: "take over the world". This is quickly followed by an outburst of laughter from a very cute girl, called Hiragii Aika. Kuzumi can't forget this event and blaming the girl for his failing, he goes back to Seinagi to confront her. Kuzumi can't enter the school because of magic barrier but due to some misunderstanding events, a teacher mistaking kuzumi for a student, kuzumi set foot on the ground of Seinagi Private High School. Later on, due to various circumstances surrounding strict rules of the school, Taiga is admitted into the school but with only one difference from all the other students: he can't use magic. He must now try to survive in a school of magic and try to fool the entire school that he's a powerful mage at the same time.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
    The mangaka has very decent art. I am not used to talk about art but it's fluent and his character desgin is vere nice

Plot: 10
    Well the storyline is making this manga very good. Everyone one believes that kuzumi is a great magic user but in contrast to what others believe, kuzumi can't use magic at all. The main storyline - surviving in a magic school with zero magic - is handled over different arcs which varies in its genre: from action to comedy. Every arc is different but none have given me a negative feeling. Every arc enjoys you on its own way.

Characters: 10
    There are a lot of characters, aside from some main characters - of course kuzumi, aika,... - the appearance of the characters depends from arc to arc. Don't worry about it every character is original on its own, they aren't copies of each other and none of them bore you. Mx0 has good written characters

Themes: 8,5
    I have always thought of mx0 being some harry potter on its own way. Don't misunderstand me: this isn't a harry potter manga at all but it's all about magic and a magic school. The main theme will always be: can kuzumi survive different problems - school tests, student issues, classes matches, etc - without magic and avoid that other people will know about the fact he can't use magic. This results in comedy which isn't shabby at all, if you want to laugh and enjoy: read it!

Originality: 9,5
    Well you could think: "shounen, magic. Euhmmm that sounds like naruto and jutsu, like bleach and bankai. No it's very original because though magic is an issue, the fact that he can't use magic makes the situation more deep, since he has to think of a way to come out safe without being discovered. Surviving a lie, surviving an illusion you made: isn't this what all people would be able to do?

Overall: 9

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 18, 2008 at 08:14 AM.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mx0 by yasuhiro kano

Thanks for the review keoensaki! While I think some of your scores might be high, Mx0 really is a fun read. I'm hoping the author puts a little depth into the upcoming arcs though.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncrow View Post
    Thanks for the review keoensaki! While I think some of your scores might be high, Mx0 really is a fun read. I'm hoping the author puts a little depth into the upcoming arcs though.
    yeah I know my points are high: but it's different from our main major shounen (naruto, one piece, bleach, etc) and that's why I like it a lot + it has everything

so it's indeed a bit subjective but really you'll have no regrets reading it
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that the principal can give him a magic plate as soon as the mountain dishes out more power, so does he ever get the ability to use magic?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus-Tails View Post
    I read that the principal can give him a magic plate as soon as the mountain dishes out more power, so does he ever get the ability to use magic?
    Well for that you have to read more, but let's say he'll have his own proper usefull tool in the manga later on and with current chapter, there seems to happen something important to kuzumi and his M0 plate

if you wanna read

Spoiler show
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Title: Mx0
    Genres: Shounen, Action, Ecchi, Fantasy, Romance, Comedy, School Life
    Author: Yasuhiro Kano
    Artist: Yasuhiro Kano
    Publication: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Start Date: May 2006
    End Date: Ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 87
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 87

General Overview:

Mx0 began as a one-shot from MP0. The following summary is taken from Baka-Updates Manga.

Quote Quote:
    During a flashback, an interviewer inquires Kuzumi Taiga, a prospective student for Seinagi Private High School, on what he would do if he could use magic, during his entrance interview. He replies, "take over the world", with an outburst of laughter, from an attractive girl, following his answer.

After the entrance exam, the school rejects his application; although he recalls almost nothing after this event, he does recall the girl, and believes the cause of his school of choice rejecting his application involves her. Wandering around outside of the school the next day, Kuzumi tries to enter, but an invisible barrier blocks him. A teacher, Mr. Hiiragi, confuses Kuzumi for a student of the school ditching class and pulls Kuzumi into the school through the barrier.

Seinagi Private High School is actually a magic school; Kuzumi is a teenager with no magical skill. Mr. Hiiragi has just accidentally pulled Kuzumi through the barrier into Seinagi Private High School, a magic school.
    Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8
    Overall, the artwork for a weekly SJ Jump is good. It's fluent, clear, and the character designs aren't shabby. The The background is pure and simple, with a little variety seen in caves, forests, etc. Any background is possible in this manga because of its supernatural roots.

Plot: 7
    The plot is relatively straightforward: Kuzumi wants to learn how to handle magic, yet must keep the fact he can't use magic a secret. Throughout the series, Kuzumi is thrown in countless situations where he must survive without using magic while keeping that fact a secret. In addition, Kuzumi is attempting to obtain a Gold Plate for his own personal reasons.

Characters: 8
    Many characters exist in Mx0. As the mangaka focuses on the main character, attention is also given to the additional characters and how they interact with each other in addition to the main character. Overall, the characters in Mx0, specifically the main characters, are enjoyable such as their comedic movements. As in most average shounen though, the development for side-characters is occasional.

Themes: 7
    Themes aren't a big focus in Mx0. It's the usual "friendship", "do my best", etc. you find throughout a variety of shounen. The manga's commitment to comedy moments on par with what is scene in Pretty Face is noteworthy as well.

Perhaps the most noteworthy theme is the concept of "Self-Reliance". While the manga has a "Harry Potter" vibe to it, the mangaka early on emphasizes how magic is not the solution to every problem. While it is a tool that has its uses, what is more important is the ability to rely upon oneself and think a solution through. Kuzumi constantly overcoming trial after trial with his wits and few tools at his disposal is a constant reminder to this theme.

Originality: 10
    Most abilities in Mx0 come from magic plates. Several magic plates exist are unique and possess different abilities, and they're generally themed around characters to what suits them. The main character, for example, has the ability to nullify magic while other characters have the ability to become invisible, use magnetism, etc., and there is no other character with the same ability (guaranteed). All students possess their own unique talents and only one magic plate, so what abilities characters can utilize is pretty diverse.

Perhaps what is most "original" about the series though is that while the main character is believed to be powerful, he is actually very vulnerable and is deathly afraid of his secret being found out. While many commonly-read shounen are more about power and basic strategy, Mx0 emphasizes the concept of planning ahead with what is availible. The main character, for example, has to constantly be one step ahead of the opposition. Throughout the story, it won't be uncommon for Kuzumi to outwit an opponent or suggest usages of magic that magic-users themselves would never think of. If Kuzumi fails to stay one step ahead of the opposition, he will be kicked out of school. (Lastly, the comedy associated with such events is hilarious).

Overall: 8
    For people who aren't picky about what they read, I would recommend giving Mx0 a try. Things such as the action and comedy make the manga worth reading. It's a good series, and anyone will hopefully not feel their time being wasted on the series. If, for some reason, you don't like it, feel free to just stop and write your own review <based on chapters you read> detailing your own experience on the matter.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done franckie, you're more critical (let's say neutral and objective) than me. I really like mx0 and that's why my ratings are high, for me: mx0 is the best (if thesis: action like naruto, bleach, d.g-m, reborn,... and antithesis: comedy like gintama and sket dance than mx0 is the synthesis - not the extreme as the other ones, and I am certainly no marxist).

I like your review but in contrast to you I gave the plot a 10 because imo it's what making mx0 a fun to read but those are personal taste issues

thanks anyway for adding your review
    Last edited by Koen; February 25, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to agree with the review. I've really gotten into it.

My only problem with the series happened in chapter 18.
    http://www.onemanga.com/Mx0/18/04/

The in depth technical explanation pulled me out of the plot, and made it seem like a setup to a collectible card game advertisement.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crazy_horse1989's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm... interesting... where to get this from? some torrent, something?
    "War... Revenge... Maybe that's enough reason I'm all alone, I think. Fofr now. And withi me is the black berserker rage... And only that... Will keep me on my feet. As I head towards you... Pressing on."
    --> Guts from the manga BERSERK...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_horse1989 View Post
    hmm... interesting... where to get this from? some torrent, something?
    onemanga.com has them all online. If your looking to download them thats becomes quite tricky.

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crazy_horse1989's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OhDearMoshe View Post
    onemanga.com has them all online. If your looking to download them thats becomes quite tricky.
    oh, nvm, i found a site with all the manga for MxO... wanna give `ya link?
    "War... Revenge... Maybe that's enough reason I'm all alone, I think. Fofr now. And withi me is the black berserker rage... And only that... Will keep me on my feet. As I head towards you... Pressing on."
    --> Guts from the manga BERSERK...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Inkovic's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite Manga's right about now. I love the pacing of the series, every few chapters there's usually something new that happens rather than other Manga's that have long drawn out arc's that have lot's of pointless battles.

The characters are good, particularly Taiga and Lucy. The idea behind it is awesome too.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inkovic View Post
    One of my favourite Manga's right about now. I love the pacing of the series, every few chapters there's usually something new that happens rather than other Manga's that have long drawn out arc's that have lot's of pointless battles.

The characters are good, particularly Taiga and Lucy. The idea behind it is awesome too.
    Well I like people confirm mx0 being great

on mangahelpers there's a great Mx0 community, join it
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

At first i was a little bit sceptical because this whole magic thing is not anything new and i was not expecting much but wow it's great! I cant but agree with above posters! If you're not too picky about the quality this is something for you. :P
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ROKMarine's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

its a shame that this series might be canceled in japan from what i herd.
    HORRY COW!!!!

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast