Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Great Teacher Onizuka

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Teacher Onizuka

Title: Great Teacher Onizuka
    Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, School Life, Shounen
    Author: Fujisawa Tohru
    Artist: Fujisawa Tohru
    Publication: Kodansha
    Start Date: 16 May 1997
    End Date: 17 April 2002
    Number of chapters at review: 200
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 200

General Overview:

Taken from Baka-Updates Manga.

Quote Quote:
    Meet Eikichi Onizuka, a 22-year-old ex-biker. He's crude, foul-mouthed, and has a split-second temper. His unlikely goal: to be the Greatest High School Teacher in the World! Of course, the only reason he wants to be a teacher is so he can try and score with the hot students ...

Before he can become a full instructor, he's got to work as a student teacher to earn his credentials. Onizuka may think he's the toughest guy on campus, but when he meets his class full of bullies, blackmailers, and scheming sadists, he'll have to prove it.
    Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 10
    Fujisawa takes a realistic style to the art seen in GTO. The characters are normally drawn anatomically correct, and it isn't unusual for the mangaka to combine the art with comedy. A good number of hilarious faces that Onizuka makes as well as his neverending supply of costumes entail a good chuckle.

Plot: 9
    The most fragile area of the series would have to be its plot. Transitions between arcs feel a bit choppy, though how everything is finally resolved helps the little episodial feel each arc entails. And the ending is certainly a sight worth reading, perhaps one of the best I've read in a long time.

Characters: 10
    The strongest aspect of the story is the characters. Not only do various characters play strong roles throughout the story, they're quite funny regardless of gender. Perhaps what is most amazing is the ability of characters to become goofy and aloof to angry and serious within a split second. I can't imagine the things we see the various teenages go through in the manga, yet seeing the "magic" in how Onizuka is able to influence troubled kids with the "German Suplex" leads to memorable events. The characters in the manga are certainly an idealized masterpiece.

Lastly, in regards to the main character, it deals with far more than just the main character who happens to be a violent, lecherous lead. In Onizuka's attempts attempts to become the Greatest Teacher in Japan, we see answers to the problems that afflict the growing dissatisfaction with the schooling system of Japan. Onizuka is quite unorthodox, but at least he understands the kids he is trying to teach, unlike so many of the other teachers who merely fear or despise their young charges. This connection with his pupils leads Onizuka in addition to his unusual teaching methods to a level of success in the classroom. Such scenes in the manga are memorable for the endearment and comedy.

Themes: 9
    GTO incorporates the basic themes you find in just about any shounen such as the concept of working hard, friendship, etc. Nothing much to say here except the mangaka does a splendid job of portraying these themes and staying in touch with them.

Originality: 10
    Okay, there are a few things which are somewhat predictable in this manga that you'll find in various shounen, but Onizuka doesn't exhibit traits you find in many commonly-read shounen series. It's true that some characters come across as caricatures, but the mangaka pulls off character development, actions, etc. that lead to scenes which are hilarious, touching, memorable, etc.

Overall: 10
    GTO is one of my favorite all-time series. It's hilarious, vulgar, and portrays a good balance showcasing teens interacting with adults. I also wouldn't overlook the fact that the mangaka gives raise to sincere attempts at the demonization of youth culture at its grassroots. Underneath the nonstop comedy lies an encouraging message of courage, hope, and all that other jazz.

If you're interested in a manga where fanservice, violence, and Sailor language is the norm, you will not regret reading this manga.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mooncrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Great Teacher Onizuka

Thanks Franckie. GTO is one of my absolute favorites.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member abu_89's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

GTO was awesome... ... Definitely recommend it. 9.5/10.
    Proving 1 = 2 wrong
    Spoiler show

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dedal_x's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

GTO is unrivaled in shoune, IMHO. I'd give 9.5/10. (not 10, because I beleive that perfection doesn't exist at all, but GTO is rather close to it)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Review!

GTO is one best shounen ever I've read
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Inkovic's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'd agree with a 10/10 for this manga.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fugitive's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! I'm gonna check this one out. I guess the anime was popular, but it never peaked my interest. Though, I don't watch anime much. Thanks again!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love that GTO ... i can't wait for get 15-25 vol left

i love that ( i already own 1-14 vol in TOkopop books )
    i wonder GTO author will do other project?? i want to follow up his lastest

i know that GTO is compteted ..

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

GTO!! Its nice to see Onizuka become what he really wanted to be a teacher.. awww. To see someone from badass to good person gives a good feeling. I stopped watching though, cause i think it made no sense just helping students out.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member THE KING's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, I've been wanting to read the manga for long, but couldn't find the time.
    Loved the anime and the live action though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Sagara's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, I loved the anime, and its one of my favorite.

Have been meaning to buy the early years volumes.... soon... ^^

New Reply