Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air Gear

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Gear

I haven't seen a review or even a board for this manga. Surprising because its quite popular as far as I know.

Title:Air Gear
    Genres: Action, Comedy, Sports, Ecchi
    Author: Oh Great!
    Artist:Oh Great!
    Publication: Weekly Shonen Magazine
    Start Date: 16th May 2003
    End Date: Currently Still running
    Number of chapters at review: 194
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 194

General Overview: Itsuki Minami otherwise known as Ikki is a student and a delinquent. He is the main hard hitter in a local gang known as the "East Side Gunz". THat is until another gang appears to humiliate him and take over the gangs territory. Upon returning home his adopted sisters introduce him to the world of Air Treks (like roller skates except a bit more extreme). From there on the plot takes you on a roller-coaster ride of excitement and big laughs!

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 7
    The main character art is often simplistic but the detail into the surroundings and often the mechanism's of air treks really give this manga a cool shine. The character design's are also enjoyable and each character really stands out of the crowd and have that personal touch.

Plot: 9
    The plot moves at a reasonable pace and never seems to drag and the story is really enjoyable. It's not without its share of twists and some really unexpected turns that really throw you onto your feet. There's some really great moments that make you fall in love with the series.

Characters: 9
    This is where the series really shines. The characters are brilliant and really entertaining. They each have their own fair share of gag's and development. What's more is the main characters are really memorable and enjoyable to read about. The only reason I would say this doesn't get a 10 is because some of the characters don't get as much developments or screen time as the others. The manga tends to focus around the other characters a little too much sometimes.

Themes: 4
    Nothing new here. This series isn't exactly very deep. Its more pure entertainment than a deep and insightful read. The themes that do make an appearance include the usual common ones such as the importance of teamwork and working hard to achieve a goal although these seem to be unintentional at times. There are also some more subtle themes making their appearance in and around the place.

Originality: 8
    Personally I think Air Gear is quite original but takes some of it roots from some of the culture thats shown its face in the past 20 or so years!

Overall: 9
    I like this manga so I am going to give it a 9. ALl I can say is that it is light-hearted entertainment and really worth a read. SO what are you waiting for? GO READ!

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Gear

Nice review!!! Totally agree with you with your analysis of the characters, some of them don't get that much screen time. But under genre, you should put ecchi, because there is a lot of it, especially in the beginning.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member hayateblitz's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I agree with everything u've said xD

except i think Air Gear is a shonen manga, not seinen, seeing that it is released in the weekly shonen magazine :P

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's a shounen manga, released in the same magazine as Tsubasa RC is released in, and TRC is a shounen.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hayateblitz View Post
    Great review! I agree with everything u've said xD

except i think Air Gear is a shonen manga, not seinen, seeing that it is released in the weekly shonen magazine :P
    Thats odd I never said it was Seinen.

After re reading I think someone's been to clean up my grammar. Either that or Im better than I think I am

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The title of the post is [Seinen] Air Gear. I really enjoy this manga, but it does suffer from the same thing that happens with D. Gray Man, too much text in places.
    frack.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amatersu View Post
    The title of the post is [Seinen] Air Gear. I really enjoy this manga, but it does suffer from the same thing that happens with D. Gray Man, too much text in places.
    It does get tedious at times bot on the whole most of what said is pretty interesting to read anyway either because its vital to the plot, explains some cool trick or feat a character has just preformed or i just plain funny xD

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited the prefix to shonen... Zindryr is the one who changed the prefix to seinen, so dunno why he did that, but I agree, I've read Air Gear and nothing in it indicates that it's a seinen series to me.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my what I thought of it.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
    The characters, objects and environments are superbly drawn especially the women. (Maybe the women are over drawn at times lol.) The flow of the layout isn't confusing but nice and crisp. Though at times, the art is so good that it's hard to understand what's going on.

(Just a note for the guys, there's going to be lots and lots of eye candy for ya.)

Plot: 10
    The story starts out with a simple plot of a young adolescent boy who tries to gain strength which later turns out to be much more than just simplistic. Now, he might just have to save the world.

Characters: 8
    Little cliche for me personally but very lovable. Typical underdog with a twist. The main character, Ikki Minami, is a very interesting character. Instead of gaining strength to fight solely for an organization, he instead seek strength to gain freedom; his freedom also give rise to his incredible strength.

It's not just the main character that has depths. The author must've placed a lot of thought into the main villain as well.

Themes: 8
    Again, Japan seems to serve as the central place where the decisive battle to either save or destroy the world takes place. Anyway, the theme seems be complex as it begs the question, how shall air gears be used which has become central to the plot of Air Gears. Shall it be used for recreation, crime, justice or even military? The manga seeks to resolve that question through the main characters.

It's a very realistic theme that has an item originally designed for a certain specific usage in a specific environment yet could be used for other things.

Originality: 10
    So far, I've yet to see any other type of manga that comes even close to what Air Gear is. At first I thought it would be about a specialized type of rolling blading but it's not! It's a blend of hip-hop, roller blading parkour type exhibition sport competition. Of course from the manga itself, AT (Air Treks, specialized motorized in-line skates) could be used for other things.

Overall: 9
    Thanks to the story-telling ability of Oh! Great, he wonderfully weaves a simplistic plot with twists and turns, lovable perverted characters who has conflicting ideals that uses ATs at their disposable with the morality of the usage of AT as the background makes it a very interesting and great manga.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

(Please read from right to left.)

11. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Takkun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Segua cause I love Air Gear's art. I think he wrapped it up pretty well. I love Air Gear manga.

~Look at Simca or your balls will melt.~

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

IM inclined to agree with a what of whats said in Segua's review. Says a lot about what I missed/didn't think about!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Arashi_Oushou's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Gear - 2nd opinion!

Title: Air Gear
    Genres: Shonen, sports, comedy, action
    Author:Oh! Great
    Artist:Oh! Great
    Publication: Weekly Shonen Magazine
    Start Date:2002
    End Date:still ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 201
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 201

General Overview:
    Itsuki Minami is a deliquent student in a world where most of teens practice the ultimate Sport: Air Trek. Ikki is the leader of a gang known as the "East Side Gunz" which one day is humilliated by a team of Storm Riders known as the Skull Sadders. After receiving a pair of Air Treks from his sisters Ikki not only gets revenge for the humiliation as well as experiences the feeling of "fliying". Decided to experience it, Ikki dives into the world of Air Trek, unaware of the reality behind this sport...

Category Ratings:

Art: 8 Oh! Great delivers by far the most insanely detailed and complex art for a weekly series nowadays. His trademarks are the incredible detailed mechanical objects, his amazing character design and a huge knowledge in perspective, both classical as well as distorted (fish-eye perpective). The layouts can be a bit confusing, especially in late chapters.

Another thing that makes me give it an 8 and not a higher grade is the progressive use of a more simplified inking in his work, as well as less shades of grey; the thickness of the lines were much better in first and middle chapters than in the last 3 arcs or so. Even so it's still effin Brilliantly executed and it's a beauty to see all the chaos developed in the battles playing out in such fluid and detailed ways.

Plot: 8 The reason it doesn't get 9 is thanks to the last two arcs. Oh! Great is trying to improve the supporting cast besides Ikki, but their arcs seem less solid of the whole series. Being Agito and Akito the fan-favorites, and Kazu needing a huge power boost is comprehensible, but the Akito plot was meh and kinda dragged for some time. It seems like one or two filler arcs before the huge Brawl that is certainly coming with the Grand Scale tournament. Even so the middle arcs are superbly well written with insane action, ecchi moments, and great comedy. Not speaking of course of one of the greatest plot twists I've seen in a weekly series which totally transforms the series from great into awesome!

Characters: 9 Classic stereotype characters which hugely improve during all the storyarcs. If you read all the chapters you see a development both in skills as well as mentally, until the huge plot twist bomb is delivered. You can totally see the construction of the main character being totally sent to oblivion and rebuilt as well as most of the other characters, which is always a bold move to make in most of stories. In this case the change is very well done and all the characters win with that choice and evolve into even more appealing versions of themselves.

Theme: 5 Classic solid stuff here: friendship and the hard-work versus natural born talent question. Nothing new but it's well explored and it's always solid material to work with.

Originality:9 sweet kick-ass battles with major powerups... with rollerblades!? That's totally a 9 there. What next? Hulla-hoops?

Overall: 9 Even with the last two arcs being kinda meh if you read the whole series you will have energetic battles with great characters and, probably, the best art in the business right now. What else could you ask for?
    Last edited by Agrias; May 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL@hulla-hoops. You never know man. Oh! Great is such an amazing manga-ka.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I disagree with all of you.

Oogure Ito is a great artist. Not a great mangaka.

The only thing Air Gear should get a perfect note for is art, because god knows he has great art. He should have an average to above average note for originality with air trek.

But everything else, though, is garbage.

Oogure Ito's storytelling abilities are non-existant. If you actually think there's a good plot, I beg you, go read something MangaScreener scanlates. You'll also find some interesting characters in those series. Sorry, the characters in Air Gear are the same you can find in a lot of Shounen series, there's nothing good or great about them if they're carbon copies.

I compare Oogure Ito to Obata Takeshi often. Both have great art, and both can't write stories for the life of them. The difference between the two of them is Oogure Ito thinks he can write a story, which is why he'll fly solo. Obata has realized that he is no good at making stories, that's why all of his mangas have authors. Between you and me, Obata's had much more success than Oogure Ito because of it.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the plot is that bad. So far, it's been a very interesting read. Though Oh! Great should really work more on story transitioning and flow. As far as characters go, it is somewhat cliche or stereotypical but the thing that set Ikki apart from other shonen type main characters is that he gains strength to be free. Ikki doesn't care about being at the top of some tower or anything. (I also hope that Ikki doesn't change.)

A story isn't just made up of characters and art. It's about the environment, setting, issues and complications, the interactions of the characters that make up the story, and a character's aspirations and their struggle to reach their goal(s). So far, Oh! Great has done a good job weaving the story together.

The only real problem that I had with Oh! Great is his art. It's so insanely detailed that it's confusing at times trying to understand what a panel is about.

I don't know too much about Obata Takeshi's story-telling ability, but his art is also great.

I'm wondering if there was a particular manga that has a superb storyline that you might recommend GGpX other than MangaScreener?
    Last edited by Luckas; July 31, 2008 at 08:05 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast