Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Is Byakuya IN LOVE With Rukia?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • WTF, NO!

22 51.16%
  • Well, not REALLY.

11 25.58%
  • Maybe.

6 13.95%
  • Maaaaybe, yes.

1 2.33%
  • OFCOURSE, he does!

3 6.98%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Byakuya IN LOVE With Rukia?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Jamil2009's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Is Byakuya IN LOVE With Rukia?

Once more, GREETINGS to you all. I'm back with another juicy thread (hehehe).

Though this may be highly controversial and might sound off at first instance it does seem probable at least that Byakuya really does love his kid sister. Considering that he told Sode no Shirayuki "I would kill anything to protect my pride" and did kill Zommari for hurting his pride I think it only right that we get it out in the open once and for all.

What, in your august opinions, are his true feelings for Rukia nee-san?

Great things come in (sm)all sizes!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ganjabuss's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Byakuya IN LOVE With Rukia?

i think he does...but is careful not to express it in any way...
    also there has been some occasions where rukia turns red when talking abt him...
    Ohana-chan give us early chapter...

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he loves her very much.... as a sister

5. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Byakuya's relationship with Rukia is...complicated, but it's not love in that sense I believe.

I mean, when you think about it, Byakuya really didn't want anything to do with Rukia in the first place. It's only through his wife(whose name escapes me atm >.>) that he really came to get a contact with Rukia. Once she expressed her desire to be reunited with Rukia and to have her adopted, he obliged out of her sake.

Now, during the SS arc, Byakuya was plagued as to whether to obey his promise to his wife, or that of his parents. He chose to honor his parents initially only to be snuffed by Ichigo later on. I believe that after this, Byakuya took a more personal level of relationship with Rukia. As it stands, it seems Byakuya has developed a genuine affection for his so-called "sister". After all, she is a living reminder of his wife since she is her sister AND she looks like her. He has made her part of his "pride" and has vowed to protect her and to see at her well-being at all costs(perhaps to atone to his wife about going on with the execution).

As for Rukia blushing, I think she's more embarrassed of her situation as Byakuya's adoptive sister. She seems to idolize him to a certain extent and perhaps she feels unworthy of the level of devotion he shows her(thinking it would have been best spent on her sister) hence her embarrassment.

7. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Snake_Cowboy's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

^Nicely put.

I mostly agree. Byakuya doesn't seem the type to easily develop feelings for anyone. Some might say his proud, tough exterior is just a front for a softer side, but I really don't think he warms up to anyone easily.

The fact that he went against the customs and rules of his family and adopted Rukia goes to show how much he loved Hisana. But until the end of the Soul Society Arc, he always kept Rukia at a distance, honoring his late wife's request while still keeping up the reputation expected of him. Since then, he has relaxed a little, but I believe he still considers Rukia only a sister, the last living link to Hisana.

But I'm less certain of the other way around. Rukia admires her 'nii-sama' quite a lot... It might be partly in fun by Kubo, but it's possible Rukia has some feelings for Byakuya. Not that she would ever dare tell Byakuya about it.
    "See you, Snake Cowboy..."

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Love as a sibling, yes.

I think he's a complicated character. He's born aristocrat, and he is supposed to be the example that other shinigami and residents of SS will follow, as he said, if the nobles do not follow the rules, who will?

Then for Rukia, he's overprotective of her in that he doesn't want her to get hurt, IE, rescuing her from Gin's shikai, requesting to Ukitake that she stay an unseated shinigami even though she's clearly VC caliber, etc.

So, the only time we've seen him not be protective of her, was when his two ideals clashed, those being, protecting his sister, and upholding the rules of SS. Ever since though, he's been very protective.
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Bucek's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh, hell no! I mean, they're related by marriage which makes him her brother-in-law, a husband of Rukia's sister and brother at the same time. It's just totally not a shounen style twist and can't see it happening no matter what. ><

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he is, even though I don't understand why he wouldn't be at least somewhat physically attracted to her, considering that she looks exactly like Hisana. Maybe it's the character? Rukia grew up in a pretty different environment and is somewhat tomboyish, so perhaps she doesn't carry herself of gracefully as her sister.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Galbert-Kun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ganjabuss View Post
    i think he does...but is careful not to express it in any way...
    also there has been some occasions where rukia turns red when talking abt him...
    True.

When the crew first enter HM,

Ichigo: Who told you to wear those things?
    Rukia: Someone very important to me told me to.
    Ichigo: So... who?
    Rukia (blush): Ni-sama

triple IshidaChadIchigo shock
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jakes
    Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
    ---------

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1691077

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Raizen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF?!? That is his sister!! Yes it is love, but a different kind of love

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BaddAzzKenpachi74's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamil2009 View Post
    Once more, GREETINGS to you all. I'm back with another juicy thread (hehehe).

Though this may be highly controversial and might sound off at first instance it does seem probable at least that Byakuya really does love his kid sister. Considering that he told Sode no Shirayuki "I would kill anything to protect my pride". and did kill Zommari for hurting his pride I think it only right that we get it out in the open once and for all.

What, in your august opinions, are his true feelings for Rukia nee-san?
    dude thats a FILLER arc where that happened and it really shouldn't be taken as part of the MAIN storyline ok dude lol,
    and no i don't think he loves Rukia.
    like someone else said at the VERY least he may feel physically attracted to her since she looks exactly like her sister "exept for the height diffrence"
    but that is also unlikely.
    he just loves her as a sister thats all

Live for battle, enjoy every minute, death is the price u pay for a good battle, live to kill, no fear.
    by Kenpachi Zaraki
    . ("Discuss This" http://discussthis.freeforums.org/index.php

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mifune_Taichou's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldnt rule it out. As in I think considering just how much she looks like Hisana AND the fact she isnt his actual sister I wouldnt be surprised if he harbours impure thoughts lol. Which probably explains why he avoids her so much lol...and tries to have his back to her....if you catch my drift.

As for her the whole blushing thing was well dodgy...

I dont think its something KT would do because of the moral controversy implications but I dont think its all roses there
    Credit to Thepocolypse for the Awesome sig

Shut up and drink your bleach juice!

Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaddAzzKenpachi74 View Post
    dude thats a FILLER arc where that happened and it really shouldn't be taken as part of the MAIN storyline ok dude lol,
    and no i don't think he loves Rukia.
    like someone else said at the VERY least he may feel physically attracted to her since she looks exactly like her sister "exept for the height diffrence"
    but that is also unlikely.
    he just loves her as a sister thats all
    Yes, the Sode no Shirayuki part is a filler but not the Zomari part. He specifically told Leroux: "Who said I was going to kill you as a Shinigami? I have killed you because you pointed your blade at my pride." And the camera pans off to the fallen Rukia.

So even though Zomari didn't even lay a finger on one of Rukia's hairs just the mere fact that he had intentions of hurting her got him killed, or so Byakuya said.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Byakuya promised hisana to protect rukia...ichigo reminded him...so his pride lays in protecting the promise to the one he loved in the past...not necessarily rukia's character which is loved, more the memory of hisana and the promise to her

23. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Byakuya promised hisana to protect rukia...ichigo reminded him...so his pride lays in protecting the promise to the one he loved in the past...not necessarily rukia's character which is loved, more the memory of hisana and the promise to her
    I will have to admit, that even though I had a preconceived notion on the 'pride' issue you have made things a lot more...understandable. I think that you just might be right. Because Byakuya does cherish his pride above all else; pride as a Shinigami, pride as the leader of the Kuchiki clan, etc. So it won't be too far-fetched to assume that he considers the promises he makes to be a part of his pride (a man of his words, kinda).

And even though he promised his parents that he would never break the law again after Hisana's death that too is taken care of as Rukia is now a full-fledged Shinigami and protecting her is as good as keeping with the law.

A great reply, Benelori. Thank you.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast