Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Uzumaki

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dedal_x's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Uzumaki

Title: Uzumaki (The Spiral)
    Genres: Seinen, Mystical, Horror, Psychological
    Author/Artist: Junji Ito
    Publication: Weekly Big Comic Spirits
    Start Date: August 1998
    End Date: September 1999
    Number of chapters at review: 20 (end)
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 19

General Overview: This is a story told by Kirie, a highschooler living in a remote Japanese town. It's a story about strange things happening in that town, which all are somehow connected to the shape of the spiral.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
    Though it looks messy at first sight, the art is actually incredibly detailed, both characters and the backgrounds. This level of detail is rarely met in long series, while this short 3-volumed manga utilises every bit of talent the mangaka has.
    All the scary stuff(it's a horror manga, remember) really gives you chills down your spine, as it's incredibly realistic.

Plot: 7
    It's a horror. What else can you say? I'd even give 4 or 3, but the plot is more or less unexpected in every chapter - you never know what happens around, until mangaka actually decides to show it to you directly.

Characters: 8
    Although the story doesn't make pauses to especially open the characters' inner worlds, you can feel the depth of each one through art and dialogue.

Themes: 7,5
    The themes are pretty much common - social interactions, beliefs, behavior in both normal and critical circumstances.

Originality: 9
    Though a horror manga is pretty much an original thing on it's own, Uzumaki takes a step even further from "common" - even in terms of horror.

Overall: 9
    Somehow this manga is really captive. Once you start reading it - you stop only after realizing that you've missed dinner...or you get chills down your spine so cold that the chair turns into ice...

The art & story are incredible, but extremely violent, and scary. I definitely do not recommend Uzumaki for people that get stressed or nervous easily. It's definitely not for impressionable people!!!

Although I highly recommend it for those who enjoy a little mystic and horror.
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crazy_horse1989's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uzumaki

yeah, after i read Uzumaki, some images and things came to my mind from time to time, such as the people transforming into snails...

it`s a good read, even if, at the end of it, i was like "WTH? that`s it?"
    "War... Revenge... Maybe that's enough reason I'm all alone, I think. Fofr now. And withi me is the black berserker rage... And only that... Will keep me on my feet. As I head towards you... Pressing on."
    --> Guts from the manga BERSERK...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner geerdude's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uzumaki

It's great... especially the "mosquitoes" and "Umbilical Cord" chapters.

But I just don't get the ending... WTF?

New Reply