Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    AWESOME CHAPTER! i'm totally hyped. i was a bit confused what askeladd was planning, or if canute was in on some plan that only both of them knew. at first i thought canute allowed him to kill the king, and intended to still keep askeladd.

but again that couldn't happen because that would create doubt and mistrust from the people. Also, when askeladd claimed to be the true king of britain, he became a threat to canute, and exposed himself to grab the throne sooner or later, so canute couldn't keep him alive.

still, canute dealing that blow? priceless.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    @sarry, your theory about the two factions could happen. if ever there were no supporters for canute before, the way he displayed his quick thinking and leadership abilities, plus that heroic act of driving the sword through askeladd is going to impress a lot of the people and soldiers in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrius View Post
    Well, Svein Tjugeskjegg did die 5 weeks after taking England, so it's "historically correct" to that extent.

Also, that mediafire link isn't working for me. Any other links?

EDIT: Nvm.
    Well, The factions Idea is my prediction
    But also Askeladd's death doesn't hamper the plot. Thorfinn can give the final fatal blow to Askeladd, and go on to protect Canute and maybe even rise in ranks to be a general or so.....,

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lyra Belaqua's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarry View Post
    Thorfinn can give the final fatal blow to Askeladd
    He can't, he wanted to defeat him in a duel. That also was the only reason he started working as Canute's bodyguard, so if Askeladd is dead, then Thorfinn has no reason to continue with it.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lyra Belaqua View Post
    He can't, he wanted to defeat him in a duel. That also was the only reason he started working as Canute's bodyguard, so if Askeladd is dead, then Thorfinn has no reason to continue with it.
    But if Askeladd is dying, then Thorfinn's chance of revenge is simply giving the Coup de Grace for Askeladd. As well, Thorfinn might be promised something in return for staying with Canute, as Thorkell too.

But Askeladd must have a breatplate under that clothing, he still has a huge part to play in the story. And his death must come at the hands of Thorfinn,

Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's still the guy that ordered Thor's death. If Askeladd actually dies now (I don't think he will, but who knows), then Thorfinn can go after that one.

Quote Quote:
    Thorfinn might be promised something in return for staying with Canute, as Thorkell too.
    I don't really see why Canute would even need Thorfinn though. Thorkell's a completely different thing, Thorfinn doesn't exactly have ~500 crazy Vikings with him. Which is why Askeladd can't die now, he's the only thing tying Thorfinn to Canute's part of the story, and giving that part of the story so much development just to drop it would just be... disappointing for the readers. The author of Vinland Saga is definitely not that stupid to do that. (But who knows)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lyra Belaqua View Post
    Well, there's still the guy that ordered Thor's death. If Askeladd actually dies now (I don't think he will, but who knows), then Thorfinn can go after that one.

I don't really see why Canute would even need Thorfinn though. Thorkell's a completely different thing, Thorfinn doesn't exactly have ~500 crazy Vikings with him. Which is why Askeladd can't die now, he's the only thing tying Thorfinn to Canute's part of the story, and giving that part of the story so much development just to drop it would just be... disappointing for the readers. The author of Vinland Saga is definitely not that stupid to do that. (But who knows)
    I agree that Askeladd can't die right now; but I am saying the possible scenarios if he does die.

Thorfinn must do something else, if Askladd dies now, and we still don't know what Harold is like: if the king liked him more than Canute, then maybe Harold is similar to the King. And both Canute and Harold will have to come head to head sooner or later, no?
    Then Thorfinn's services are required by Canute...

Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

What I am saying is that regardless of how badass he is, Thorfinn is just a brat with two knives. There's no way Canute could actually need him, no way.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Canute only has Thorkell and his men, no?
    Even though Thorfinn is a brat with two knives, he is still capable of fighting normal soldiers.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kaostheory's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well a lot of the soldier's have been taken out by askeladd so they may fear canute's faction and join his side
    I want to see thorfinn get stronger seriously that fight with askeladd annihilated him. Also it make wonder whether or not askeladd could have defeated thorkell if he got serious

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Alexandrius's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Thorkell is on level with Thors. I doubt Askeladd would be able to beat Thorkell. Thorkell is both stronger and faster. Even if Askeladd knows his weakness it doesn't mean he'll be able to take advantage of it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity nat's Avatar
    Country
    Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

funny, both Askeladd and Thors were killed/defeated because of Thorfinn.
    He should learn to shut up and stay quiet...
    If you hate Sasuke, click here

Tricked you

Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    both Askeladd and Thors were killed/defeated because of Thorfinn.
    I've actually been wondering about whether this fact will have any effect on Thorfinn (if Askeladd is dead). Because it's just perfect for some angst.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine them sending Thorfinn out on a different direction before the dust has settled on who takes the throne of Denmark next.

I imagine it will more likely focus on him staying with Canute/Thorkell and the introduction of Harold, thus causing a power struggle between the two for the now vacant throne.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Askelaad informs Thorfinn of Floki hiring him and his band to assassinate Thors. Suddenly Thorfinn's focus shifts, as I'm sure he wouldn't wish to kill Floki in an honourable duel, and he has reason to stay close to Canute. Especially if, since Floki and Sweyn both seemed to favour Harold so greatly as the next king, Floki joins Harolds faction in the fight for the crown.

Still wondering whether or not this is really the end of Askelaad though. He almost always wears his breastplate, and as we've seen in previous chapters it breaks damaged swords and almost completely absorbs swings from axes. This could all also be a feint on his part.

We'll just have to wait and see!

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this manga any good?

Is it at all like Historie or Cesare?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxe View Post
    Is this manga any good?

Is it at all like Historie or Cesare?
    This manga is great, I don't know about Historie or Cesare, so i can't compare.

This manga is basically a semi-history lesson on the Vikings/Nors conquests and their life. Not all of this manga is historically accurate but most is.
    If you like battle manga, where there is little censure-ship and well developed and interesting characters, then Vinland Saga is a great choice.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I just catched up with the chapters (last time I read it was 49). Wow. This is awesome. There is no way I could predict anything now, I have no idea how this is going play out now. I have faith in Yukimura, I'm sure he has come up with something totally mind blowing

One thing though, that makes me bet on Askeladd's survival. Lucius Artorius Castus. I know this is highly fictional series, but I think there could be something there. That article suggests, that Arturius was the King Arthur from the legends. Or at least Arthur was based on him, this would suggest that Askeladd will survive, and in the end take his place as the king. I wonder how much this is already speculated on the thread, but I was too lazy to read all of the posts written during my absence :P

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast