Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

"The End of the Prologue".. I guess that speaks for one heck of an epic tale from now on. It's going to be really interesting to see how Thorfinn develops, in which direction his mind goes after this incident. I mean, I don't think I'm the only one expecting to see him one day realize what's behind his father's words and become a "true warrior", but maaaaan is he far away from that. In that sense I understand why the prologue was so long.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hard_Rock's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't expect Askeladd to die so soon, although i was expecting for him to die in some point of story, but maybe near the end of manga. I am happy that Thorfinn didn't kill him in the end, that would suck. It is a kind of shock beacause all this time we've got impression that Askeladd is the main character because of space in the story that the writer gave him, he was very interesting and fun character, both clever and strong, which you can't say for emo-kid.
    It is interesting to notice how sometimes Askeladd protected Thorfin, he could kill him in every fight between them, which means many many times, and now he got stabbed because he told him not to come near. Also, it is interesting that Thorfinn don't realize that his revenge should be pointed against Floki, who is actually responsible for Thors's death. Askeladd could tell him that many times, but didn't, which was maybe another way to have an eye on him.
    Well, one way or another, manga lost probably leading character and in this point i can't imagine how can story be that interesting without him, which not means that it will not, we should give the story a chance. Maybe now the story will be focused more on Thorfinn's growth and journey, because manga is caled "Vinland saga", and we saw Vinland (North America) just in flashbacks.
    The Landscape of the End

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if there will be a break before Chapter 55?
    (hopes not)

I have just been reading Orkneyinga Saga, which is mainly about people in Orkney, Shetland, Scotland, Ireland etc killing and betraying and plotting and messing each other up in an entertaining manner. Approximately half the people in that seem to be called Thorfinn. Generations of fcking Thorfinns. It's quite distracting...

One thing's for sure, the sheer gut-wrenching brilliance of that chapter gives me confidence in anything the Mangaka wants to do with the story.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a series of Orkneyian rulers (dunno at all if it's the right spelling...) were called Thorfinn... They seem to had a mood as bad as ours :3

About the break, it's not sure, sometimes the scanlators make one whole month to scan the complete Afternoon magazine. We still can have the current chapter in three weeks T___T
    I want it now... ;____;

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nehszriah's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Vinland Saga thread and I'm not trolling it? This must be remedied!

You know, about Askeladd being dead and all, I have a very sneaky suspicion that this is not the last we're going to see of him. Thorfinn can surely have flashbacks back to some sort of situation he ran across while with the awesome old codger and we can surely get a bit more of him in that way. That doesn't stop that the man's dead though. D<

I'm curious where everything is going to pick up now that there is an end to the prologue. History tells us that there needs to be a wedding and an elder brother death within the coming years, as well as a series of interesting adventures I'll leave out for now, so it surely makes me wonder as to why Thorfinn and Canute are even connected. I could see, after a couple-year timeskip, Thorfinn being like a personal bodyguard for Canute and then after a chain of (mis)adventures is sent along with an expedition to Vinland thanks to the close personal connection he has with Canute as well as the stories he used to hear from Leif as a boy. Those stories of Skraelings and wide open grasslands must have been of more practical use than bedtime stories for children. I wouldn't be surprised if Thorfinn remembered every little scrap Leif told them, as those with oral histories often remember more consistently than those with written histories. Since Thorfinn was just the child of a fearsome warrior of the greatest potential poor Icelandic farmer, I doubt he can read... let alone read during childhood. Canute might teach him, sure, but I don't see the boy having the patience at all.

I do hate to admit though that I'm not well-versed in the Vinland Sagas and know basically the bare minimum. Since this topic has greatly interested me, does anyone know if there is a readily-available (and hopefully accurate) English translation of these tales on the internet?

...let alone fan-derivative works. As a fan fiction writer and fan artist fan of the series, it kills me to have not found more out there. Did we just luck out and get the completely-mature set of fans here? ^_~ It's just rather depressing, you know? Fifty-four chapters and barely a whiff of the fact the fandom exists outside of message boards... and I am not doing a Google search thankyouverymuch. Bad things happen when I run that thing. >_>

Alright, I'm done for now.
    Be true, be you and, of course, be otaku.

Come visit me at my homepage. I also have a fan fiction archive of most of the things I've written.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, I remember you, you're the one who write the VS fanfiction about Thorfinn and Canute lost in present time :3
    Yeah, there is few proofs of fandom around the Internet. Except this thread and a Vinland Saga community in LiveJournal, I don't know other places myself.

I think too the story will pursue in England for a while, it's a bit too brutal for a complete change of place. It will quite awkward if Thorfinn just go out of jail and said "lets back to Iceland to find Vinland!". We need a steady development before going to the west.

By the way, it's not one marriage, but TWO that Canute will suffer :3
    Indeed, he married an english noble (Aegilfa) in the "dane way", but since this kind of marriage is not recognized by church, he remained officially single. It allowed him to marry another noble for political issue, a norman one (Emma of Normandy) one year after the first one. What a lucky man XD
    It was common for noble Nordics freshly converted to take advantage of this kind of situation, and have two wives.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nehszriah's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

See, while I knew the historical Canute had two wives, I did not realize that was how he did it (my recollection of the date of the second marriage was unclear and I'm not sure I want to trust wikipedia for this info or assume things quite yet). This makes things very interesting. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Canu-kun! I can see him with his pimpin' wives while Thorfinn sits to the side and broods. XD

Hey... I remember you too from DA. I've been trying to get a sizable group of fans together over on theotaku.com complete with a fansite I really need to work on now that the prologue is set at the end. There's about... eh... six or seven of us at the least. Drat... I really need to update a bunch of stuff now. D:
    Be true, be you and, of course, be otaku.

Come visit me at my homepage. I also have a fan fiction archive of most of the things I've written.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the sagas are online in some form or other (there's usually links from wikipedia articles)
    The translations might be a bit old but the story's the thing plus reading huge blocks of text on a white background makes it look like you're working..

I've been trying not to read too much about these guys so I don't spoil the manga, but I'm sure I'll crack eventually..
    Last edited by Ratatosk; May 27, 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

While waiting for the new chapter, I was thinking of something.

Since Thorfinn is the main character, we have all assumed that the prologue was for him.
    But actually, it could be for Canute as well : he reached his goal, he's the king. Well... just of England yet, but it's was he aimed at. And he lost his second mentor as well, which put him as the same level as Thorfinn.
    Then, the next part won't be necessarily for Vinland already, it could be about the (re)construction of England as a Dane kingdom.

The next chapters could be about the will to go further of the two lads.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wentwarth's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Wonder if there will be a break before Chapter 55?
    (hopes not)
    Sadly, there is a break. I found out just now, but it seems like it was announced in the end of the previous chapter, along with "the end of prologue" message and simply wasn't translated.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji-sama from RiTuaL ScaN ForGe
    Chapitre #54
    Fin du prologue avec ce chapitre. Pas de chapitre le mois prochain. Retour dans l'Afternoon #08 (25/06) et ce sera le début d'un nouvel arc.
    Maybe we will get something nice for waiting, guys~ I think it would be great if the start of a new arc was celebrated with a color spread — it's been a while, isn't it?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, colour pages are quite the rarity. It will be a great reward for us who have to wait that much T___T

The good point : we know it today, then we have to wait three weeks. It's not like having the news that we'll wait for two months.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Without Askeladd it will be very hard ... IMHO he was shining pearl there.

Sometimes Vinland Saga got really great art (faces, fights) that you can hardly look in other manga.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started reading this mangan about 2 days ago and already LOVE it. It kinda reminds me of Berserk. Really like the action scenes.
    I'm glad to read that there's not goiing to be a huge 3 months break or anything, cause thats what sometimes happens ( happend ) with berserk.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lyra Belaqua's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: chapter 55 show
    Last edited by Lyra Belaqua; June 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 55 out... but... wtf oO

Spoiler show

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast