Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity nat's Avatar
    Country
    Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

Spoiler show

waiting for the translation
    If you hate Sasuke, click here

Tricked you

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; June 23, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The translation's out now
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ys2bn

Spoiler show

Anyone know enough kanji to read when the next chapter will be? Is it monthly again?

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wentwarth's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@Wentwarth
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; June 23, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lyra Belaqua's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Anyone know enough kanji to read when the next chapter will be? Is it monthly again?
    On the top of the last page it says: Next time: 7/25. So I guess no more breaks for now.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven posts with spoilers... Since Ratatosk posted the scanlation, it's not that necessary now, is it?

In real History, Thorfinn will have two boys... and two mini-Thorfinn is already sufficient for the world
    That would be fun to see them running around him while he's working, fighting together and/or making life like hell to the others slaves.

Honestly, I'm a bit deceived. I wanted to know more about England.
    But, well, my fav' character is Canute, that could be the reason
    And there is so much left about England's story.

I noticed, but it's the first time from the beginning of the story that it takes place in Denmark. For a viking related story, it was weird it didn't happened yet.

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that much time has passed.. no longer than a few years, but probably less than a year. It sounded like the owner hadn't bought him that long ago.
    I haven't been keeping track of the seasons but you could probably tell by that. Leif didn't look that much older.

he's just lost a ton of weight, his entire reason for living, and probably his mind...
    the dude in Planetes did the same thing, when he went through his lying-on-the-surface-of-the-moon-without-food-for-3-days phase, and ended up looking about 10 years older. I'm sure they'll have a longer time skip or two at some point in the manga, but I don't think this is it.

And yeah, I too was hoping he was the blonde guy on the ship in the colour pages.

It's good news that it's monthly again, must've missed that bit in the page. Distracted by Thorfinn the Troll, lurking in the woods...
    Last edited by Ratatosk; June 24, 2009 at 03:55 AM.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kinda surprised too. Didn't really expect anything like this. If someone looking like that and carrying an axe would appear in front of me in woods, I'd probaply be running in nanoseconds..

The colorpages were beautiful.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

The way the story developed was rather... unexpected. Is this gloomy old man really Thorfinn? And why did he become a farmer? Maybe it's a punishment for attacking Canute?
    I was wondering why Thorfinn looked so old. When Einar meets Leif it's the time from around chapter 49 or earlier (I hope you know what I mean). He said that he had arrived at the farm in June, so the time gap between Leif's and Thorfinn's meeting and Einar's arrival couldn't be more than six months (in chapter 49 it was winter). Did Thorfinn change so much in only six months? Or maybe I'm mistaken?

That double colour page with a ship is amazing. The sea looks so real...

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

For political issues, Canute couldn't left Thorfinn without punishment, I assume he had to reduce him to slavery. Since his master doesn't seem to be a harsh one, we can expect Canute deal with the sales himself (but it's an awkward theory).
    At least better this one than the one interested in "young men"

About this age, six months may be bit short, I imagine something more, like one year and half, or two. But not more, he's not that old, he just begin to have a beard : he's a young man.
    But in the other hand, we can assume he had a relative good treat in Askeladd's crew then he could shave himself regularly (despite his widely well-known issues with baths ). But I don't really believe it.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just marathoned Vinland Saga in the last day and I've got to say this is an amazying Manga. I love that it's a historical manga based on vikings that's definitely original and I enjoy the storyline to bits plus the art is really good. This is definitely a manga I'm going to keep reading no matter what!

Anyways I'd say it hasn't been very long at most two years probably one. The farmer seemed to act like he hadn't had Thorfinn for very long certainly not longer then a season. And I'm pretty sure Thorfinn would be sold pretty fast since he's healthy and because Leif wasn't recognized immediately by the slavers which leads me to believe that Leif has only been searching the market for a short amount of time as I would expect him to come every day in order to find Thorfinn and since he had a good idea of where Thorfinn was to be sold he also probably knew when. Plus Prince Canute isn't a complete jerk he wouldn't keep him in jail for to long(I think).

Though I have to say Thorfinn looks...different. He's really let himself go, he doesn't seem to care to much about himself anymore(doesn't have anything to live for Askeladd and all). I do hope he returns to the usual Thorfinn that we all remember because I'd hate it if he stayed all dopey for any length of time. Maybe Einar will help him act like his normal self or maybe Thorfinn will get a personality change...

I wonder if Thorfinn will every see his family again, I always thought that would be one of the first things he would do if he could. But I guess he can't face his family again because he still feels (very) guilty about what happened to his dad?
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; June 28, 2009 at 09:48 PM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think, too, that guilt preserve him to come back in Iceland. Plus as a slave he can't really move like he wants.
    Which is a proof of no-life-in-his-eyes, because I don't really think he's the type who will not be able to jail break of flee when he wants.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    Prince Canute isn't a complete jerk he wouldn't keep him in jail for to long(I think).
    I think that Canute planned all of this. He couldn't have sold Thorfinn to a random slave trader - doing away with such a useful and reliable servant wouldn't be a wise decision. Canute knew that Thorfinn suffered from something like a nervous breakdown after Askeladd's death and gave him time to recover, under pretence of punishing him. I think that talking with Einar will help Thorfinn find a new goal in life. And when it happens, Canute will appear, pick him from the farm and make him his bodyguard again. I hope Thorfinn will show some character development at last.

22. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do people feel that Thorfinn has gone dopey?
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

New Reply
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast