Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

Because, with his (former) bad temper, he wouldn't have left himself being a slave and flee quite fast. He was not the type to obey orders without at least a groan, it's a bit surprising to see him being obedient to a mere farmer.
    Even if he can object that, globally, he was rather compliant toward Askeladd. He didn't promised the "usual reward" each time.

But indeed, we have finally really few information about Thorfinn, we have to wait next week to have a more complete chapter about the hero of the story. Then it remains a theory.
    I daresay we don't have this luxury for a really long time, the previous parts were centred to Askeladd or Canute.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

From the 'and that was how I met Thorfinn' comment we can probably expect some memorable or at least strange doings by the Trollfinn soon, to make such an impression on the new guy.

Hmm, I wonder if Thorfinn will be forced back to his senses by the owner grabbing more land than his neighbours and pissing them off. All the old stories about rich farmers seem to be full of ridiculous feuds with people killing each other's slaves then suing each other for compensation then ignoring it and killing some more. It would be funny to see someone try it on him.

I dont think this is the kind of manga where they stretch your credibility with silly coincidences, but it would also be funny if the blonde slave girl turned up, the one he was talking crap to all that time ago about never being a slave..

I keep coming on here hoping theres another chapter out. no patience... I don't think I've ever looked forward to the next chapter of a manga so much, as with the last few chapters of this.
    Last edited by Ratatosk; July 27, 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: idle speculation

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Laika's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this series is so popular among girls. How unexpected.

My prediction is that Lief is looking for Thorfinn because of some news that will rouse Thorfinn back to his usual self.

The new issue of Afternoon should be out, so some scans should turn up. Too bad one of the main scanners of Afternoon has quit scanning

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, and one of the fastest one...

I don't think Leif needs a real excuse to look for Thorfinn, it must be for the usual reason : taking him back to Iceland.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wentwarth's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    I agree. As of now, I can't think of any information that can make Thorfinn pull himself back together and I wouldn't want to see him go back "to his usual self" anyway. Kid has some maturing to do before he meets Leif again.

I tried to find some info on the next chaper, but outside of Vinland Saga's 2ch thread, there is hardly anything written about it. I saw the title of the chapter in some person's blog, though..
    Spoiler show

6. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Then, if this spoiler is true. It's means we entered in a period where development of history is more important than the previous part where fights were abundant.
    At this rate we may forgot a progress which include a brutal change like a war, a conflict or something of this type.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, those farmers were pretty violent by all accounts it was pretty normal for their sons to go off on raiding expeditions all summer to make a name for themselves.

But you could be right. maybe the writer got bored of epic death and decided to tell a different kind of story for a few chapters. It's not like this was ever a standard fight-manga after all. Planetes was a bit unpredictable that way, with cutting in and out of different people's stories.. but then this is a far more coherent manga than Planetes. Even if it's a chapter of Thorfinn talking to the trees, I hope the scans turn up soon...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hrm.... if the scans don't turn up by next week, i'll order this month's afternoon and scan it myself. However, since I'm in the US, it'll probably take a couple of weeks for it to get here. Oh well.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

All hail Finestela! ^_^

Chapter 56 Raw

Quite a chapter spent to develop Einar and the new Thorfinn.
    If I got that right, Thorfinn was working instead of the tired horse and Einar was inspired by that?
    Although a translation is needed, such a chapter sure does make you wonder what a story might be ahead of us.
    Last edited by Aikyet; August 04, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Thoughts and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    It's been one chapter. Lets revisit this issue when the first volume is out and we actually have an idea of where the story is going? Though I guess my suggestion will probably fall on deaf ears and if/when it is cancelled, the 'I told you so' crowd will pop their collars in misguided and unfounded praise of themselves. ....Just another day in the WSJ thread I guess.

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy.. Thorfinn looks SO young. Leave aside previous chapter's last page, he looks even younger than he did when he was with Askeladd. There's no way more than half a year has passed.

*has gone over the RAW only one time and doesn't really have anything to add to previous discussion*

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

(reads the raw even though I know I should wait...)

wow. no idea what they were saying but..
    Spoiler show

I agree on the youngness. But then he's spent his whole life since he was about 7 trying to look scary, deliberately twisting his personality to be as bitter and apathetic as possible, and this is probably our first time seeing him without a Thorfinn Look on his face (apart from the odd time when he was too shocked to put up the defenses) for years.

I love reading raws just for how long you spend analysing people's body language to work out what's going on (only worth doing in manga of a certain quality of course, but still..) There's a priceless moment in this chapter, when from behind it looks as if Thorfinn is being aggressive/getting in random-bearded-blond-guy-no.3's face, then it turns round, you see his face and expect to see the first trace of the character we thought we knew, and instead he's looking quite humble almost, even if he is sticking up for the new guy..

I've just noticed that people from at least 5 different countries are talking about this manga on just one page of the thread. Vinland Saga rocks.
    Last edited by Ratatosk; August 04, 2009 at 09:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the new chapter was quite interesting. Thorfin has become so meek... but you gotta expect that this is just to give it's eventual return to violence that much more oomph.

Not so sure about the comedic relief side kick though...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nehszriah's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I don't understand Japanese in the slightest, I was looking through the raw to check out body language and stuff and noticed something quite interesting...

Spoiler show

Now it could just be me seeing things (I've been staring at Vinland Saga chapters endlessly for a few weekends in a row now), but that would mean a huge character jump for Thorfinn, not to mention being important for the rest of the story.

I mean... damn... Yukimura-san sure is messing with us.
    Be true, be you and, of course, be otaku.

Come visit me at my homepage. I also have a fan fiction archive of most of the things I've written.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    It's not just you. He looks a lot like Thors now, especially on the pages 12-16, but I think it's mostly because of how soft the expressions on his face were. Plus, the guy became somewhat round-shouldered, it just adds to his meek look. But I don't think he could've changed all that much and is there with Canute and Thors yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Also: pretty lady = slave or Farmer's daughter/wife or Canute in disguise?
    Lol. She doesn't give off the impression of a slave, so I am gonna say she's farmer's relative. Einar's affection for her might screw both him and Thorfinn over in any case.
    Last edited by Wentwarth; August 05, 2009 at 08:16 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

(I don't know Japanese either, I just deduce from the RAWs)
    Well, Thorfinn is much closer to being 'a perfect warrior' than in previous chapter - he isn't so violent and impulsive anymore. I think that Einar's enthusiasm (even without translation I can see that he's quite enthusiastic) will help Thorfinn overcome his indifference and find something (someone? maybe Canute?) to protect. Or at least I'd like the story to go in this direction.

I just hope Thorfinn won't fall in love too soon (no, this time I don't mean Einar maybe the pretty girl who appeared in this chapter). Now it would mean repeating the story of Thors, who had become a different man because of love for his child.

New Reply
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast