Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Is that good for an Afternoon manga or just average. I don't think its bad.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Makoto Yukimura on twitter @makotoyukimura

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: Latest Story Arc show

I just heard something totally reminding me of Vinland Saga:
    Lyrics of Rammstein - Reise Reise (a song about seafaring pretty much, "Reise Reise" is a German mariner wakening call. "Reise" usually has a different meaning, but this one is coming from a dialect and means the same as English "rise".
    "(...)
    Der eine sticht die Lanz' im Heer (One thrusts the spear in the army)
    Der andere wirft sie in das Meer (The other throws it into the sea)
    (...)
    Der Eine stösst den Speer zum Mann (One thrusts the spear to the man)
    Der andere zum Fische dann (The other to the Fish)"

It's pretty much the same as Leif Eriksson said to Thorfinn; Than men don't have to fight other men, but can fight the sea as well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one thing that's bothering me for a good while. Thors gave Thorfinn a weapon. Scanlation refers to it as "sword" but it looks much more like dagger. Even shortsword is longer than Thorfinn's weapon. So, it's translators mistake, Yukimura's mistake or it just depends on ones personal decision?

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They look like daggers, not swords, to me too. Could be that Yukimura uses a generic term for sword if there isn't an exact Japanese word for western daggers. I'm really not sure. I did notice that too.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaiten View Post
    Could be that Yukimura uses a generic term for sword if there isn't an exact Japanese word for western daggers.
    In English, the term "blade" would probably make more sense, but of course that depends on the original choice of word again.
    I think I didn't even notice it so far. If it was only when Thors spoke to young Thorfinn, then it would almost have some meaning again, as to such a small boy a dagger is just as huge as a sword to a huge man like himself.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

In chapter 16, one of Askelad's underling said 短剣 (dagger) when they saw Thorfinn in the boat. So it is a dagger alright. I think when Thors asked Thorfinn if he wants a sword in chapter 7, it's not specifically refers to the dagger, but in a general terms.

11. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

In which chapter did Vinland Saga go from a weekly series to a monthly series?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    In which chapter did Vinland Saga go from a weekly series to a monthly series?
    The same time when it became Seinen.
    According to Wikipedia: It started in 2005 and was published in Shonen Magazine from april to october 05. Beginning december 2005, it was published in Afternoon. I don't know the source, but Wiki states that the the reason for switching actually was because Yukimura wanted to publish monthly rather than weekly.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    The same time when it became Seinen.
    According to Wikipedia: It started in 2005 and was published in Shonen Magazine from april to october 05. Beginning december 2005, it was published in Afternoon. I don't know the source, but Wiki states that the the reason for switching actually was because Yukimura wanted to publish monthly rather than weekly.
    So that is around 25 chapters I presume? Hm interesting Vinland Saga was considered shounen from the start, by the author right or was it "If it is in a shounen magazine it is shounen"?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    So that is around 25 chapters I presume? Hm interesting Vinland Saga was considered shounen from the start, by the author right or was it "If it is in a shounen magazine it is shounen"?
    The demographic depends on the magazine it's published in, so yeah it was Shonen in the beginning.
    Of course that's not random though. A Shonen magazine wouldn't take a title like, let's say, Wolf Guy or Futari Ecchi. Although some magazines are pretty borderline, like Champion Red (Shigurui, Change 1,2,3) which displays nudity and severe violence and stuff and yet is rated Shonen.

Imo Vinland Saga is doing fine as Seinen. Yet, it's not as a level where I'ld consider it as totally out of reach of Shonen. It's still suitable for age 15-16 easily.

I'm having a hard time finding the moment when Vinland Saga switched. If that timeframe mentioned on Wiki is correct, then it should've been rather early. All I know that it definitly was Seinen by Vol. 05/Ch. 29.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    The demographic depends on the magazine it's published in, so yeah it was Shonen in the beginning.
    Of course that's not random though. A Shonen magazine wouldn't take a title like, let's say, Wolf Guy or Futari Ecchi. Although some magazines are pretty borderline, like Champion Red (Shigurui, Change 1,2,3) which displays nudity and severe violence and stuff and yet is rated Shonen.

Imo Vinland Saga is doing fine as Seinen. Yet, it's not as a level where I'ld consider it as totally out of reach of Shonen. It's still suitable for age 15-16 easily.

I'm having a hard time finding the moment when Vinland Saga switched. If that timeframe mentioned on Wiki is correct, then it should've been rather early. All I know that it definitly was Seinen by Vol. 05/Ch. 29.
    Yeah I always thought seinen was by the magazine but things started to surprise me when "seinen-like" series are published in shounen magazines. But yeah I guess too much nudity and maybe gore violence is a bit too much for shounen. Light hearted seinen perhaps are fine.

Hm, I see, I have started with the earlier chapters and the art really does not impress me that much aside form what I have seen in recent chapters which is pretty good. So I want to catch up to where the manga gets better art.

Hm, it is not long, I guess I can go with the series that long to get to where it is seinen, and by that I mean turning into monthly which thus comes the art being better as well.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's even improving after that. It's already sweet around ch. 40 or so, but some of the latest arc panels (~70) are just mindblowing.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to try it because many say the art is similar to Berserk, though from the first chapters I was not impressed a bit. But then I learned of the whole change thing and everything began to make sense. Hm, ok I will give it a shot just for the sake of seeing the great art that comes afterwards.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah the art does improve and in the most recent chapters they just bring me to tears

I give any manga the chance to improve over time really. If you notice it, a lot of manga get so much better in art after some ten volumes or so (berserk, for one).

New Reply
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast