Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I find that a lot of the objective measures of quality for Vinland and Berserk are equal, or close enough to equal. The art, writing, character development, and pace are so good in both that any difference is a matter of preference. Fans of realism might prefer Vinland, fans of fantasy/mythological settings might prefer Berserk. Neither series have any glaring weaknesses, or flaws, to give one a critical edge over the other.
    IMO Vinland Saga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Berserk

But then again I DO prefer realism over fantasy. Basically for me Berserk was good until Midget Witch was brought into the story. Then it started sucking. HARD.

Really the only thing I look forward to in Berserk is Hot N' Nekkid Retarded Casca. I could care less about Guts vs Griffith at this point.

Rickert the Sixth God Hand should pwnage Griffith and then whisk Casca away so he can show her a good time. Guts should get eaten by a moose and die.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sir_arles View Post
    I really like where Thorfinn is going. Trying to live with Christian ideals in the XI century must have been nearly impossible.
    The especially cool part is how it contrasts with Canute's twisting of his own Christian faith. Canute is basically only Christian in name and I think Thorfinn
    will become the real deal of Christianity or close to it. Canute will use Christianity to his political advantage while Thorfinn will be up against all odds to
    stay true to his Christian faith. In a way I think this is actually more interesting than when he was a viking because while Thorfinn will be less violent
    it doesn't mean his opponents will be. And if push comes to shove will Thorfinn pick up his sword and fight? It's pretty intense.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Ye, Old Nordic Gods which I believe in with my heart, soul and sword, shall have mine thanks for yours blessing. Vinland Saga IS in line up for this months Afternoon Magazine. We can expect new chapter in about week or two, depends on how fast will our great warrior Hox will be, I guess.

About Vinland Saga and Berserk... I actually don't understand why people compares these to works over and over again... Each of these pieces are about something completely different and each of them has completely different narrative part, character development and so on. I guess I'm just too obsessed with details but whatever... To actually contribute to this conversation, I like Vinland Saga much more... I even loved Berserk until this Guts' new band was formed (I hate every one of these characters), but even when Berserk was in good old times I liked Vinland Saga more. While Berserk tends to fall into some cheap fanservise and deformations (a lot in these years) Vinland Saga never suffers from these ailments.
    I love Vinland Saga because of its story, because of theme and setting, because of characters, because of drawings, because Yukimura Makoto is my favorite author, because I like Nordic culture for like my whole life and so on and so on.

EDIT: New chapter (81) was released by Hox and HappyScans!. By Gods, that was fast!
    Last edited by You Say; March 24, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

chapter was out,i even linked it and made a temporary thread for discussion...but it seems nobody cares about vinland saga anymore. what a shame.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe nobody here at Mangahelpers does...

I think it's great, and getting better and better.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for being late everyone, I am not up to date with this series, the new discussion thread was a opened a few days ago, maybe it was unnoticed in the stickies? Anyway, I help around this section as well as best as I can.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

^ No need to apologize man. The fault is probably on my side for not seeing the thread. I understand that its probably not too enjoyable to mod a section as unpopular as this one(apparently)...so we owe you loads of thanks for still taking care of it. Personally i think this is very disappointing that ppl just want action and excitement when Vinland Saga offers so much more.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    i think this is very disappointing that ppl just want action and excitement when Vinland Saga offers so much more.
    Agreed. It's as if only violence-driven teenagers were the audience of VS.
    Luckily, I know it's not the case.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Being a history buff, history was the thing that got me interested in Vinland Saga, that and really the rumors that you hate that the series is similar to Berserk, plus violence is really a thing that I see marketed to some otaku in Japan. There are people there that really like heavy violence manga. So that must be it, but Vinland Saga is not that of a violent manga compared to some with even weird and more disturbing things.
    Last edited by Josef K.; March 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Although, I don't feel that Vinland Saga is unnoticed in MH.

Because, it was in MH that I got a recommendation for it, and I know quite a few who read it and really like it.

Naturally, progression is slow like any other seinen manga out there produced monthly. Hell, even Berserk with its popularity is quite slow in threads because we really can't help if the source material also churns out slow, and we've said all we wanted to say long before a new chapter is out. The latest chapter becomes stale, and the spoilers for the next one come a lot later. By then we've exhausted our theories, our agonies, our excitement, etc.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the bad ass violence definitely got me interested in Vinland Saga but what kept me was the intricate plotwork.
    And what's most impressive is it's able to do it such a short amount of time. A good reason why I like
    Farmerland Saga so much is because I know the pay off is going to be huge. IMO Thorfinn has
    become even MORE interesting than he was as someone who wanted to get revenge.
    Whoever thinks it will be easy for Thorfinn to live as a pacifist has no idea.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    the bad ass violence definitely got me interested in Vinland Saga but what kept me was the intricate plotwork.
    And what's most impressive is it's able to do it such a short amount of time. A good reason why I like
    Farmerland Saga so much is because I know the pay off is going to be huge. IMO Thorfinn has
    become even MORE interesting than he was as someone who wanted to get revenge.
    Whoever thinks it will be easy for Thorfinn to live as a pacifist has no idea.
    He's going to have a make a choice when people come for Ketil's farm. He's already faced plenty of tough choices, especially recently. He's chosen to be passive, but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible much longer.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you think will be the ultimate trigger for him to start fighting again?

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably Ketil's farm being overrun per Canute's order. What it will be specifically I don't know. Obviously him being a slave now has had the recent events weigh on him personally. There will have to be a breaking point. I don't think he'll turn back to vengeance unless he finds out why Ketil's farm was overrun.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

A death could trigger or rather forced him to fight. Death of his partner slave (sorry I forgot the name. Happens to me in most of the monthly scheduled series). What bothers me, what will happen after that? He used to have an objective in life, even if it was "the revenge". I have said it before, his role has to grow or become grander.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    A death could trigger or rather forced him to fight. Death of his partner slave (sorry I forgot the name. Happens to me in most of the monthly scheduled series). What bothers me, what will happen after that? He used to have an objective in life, even if it was "the revenge". I have said it before, his role has to grow or become grander.
    Einar dying? I suppose so. Einar has gotten a lot more rash recently, which puts Thorfinn in a different role than in his previous life.

Do remember that Leif Ericson is sailing to find Thorfinn right? That might play a role, who gets there first?

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast