Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

Quote Originally Posted by Okuni Sensei View Post
    By the way, before taking actions, Thorfinn should wake up and make up new resolution. Actually, he's quite the shaking ragbag in a jail.
    well canute definitely has plans for Thorfinn, that's for sure.

There'll be a new arc coming up: the maturity of Thorfinn, hehe.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

*try to imagine a mature Thorfinn*
    ... this arc will be looooong XD

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Columbus didn't discover America, a viking did. And it wasn't because of some heroic journey across the Atlantic ocean. It was after he had fled his homeland to escape something which was then called a blood vengeance or blodhemn. He named the land he had discovered Vinland, hence the name of this manga. The manga-ka may actually know what he's doing

I see that I may have spoken too soon. The name spellings are completely wrong, I've never even heard the name "Canute"
    Last edited by Zarion; April 25, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not like the spelling is wrong, it differs following the country.
    Canute, which could be written Cnut, Knut or Knud, is the name of several kings of Denmark. The first one is our Canute from the manga.
    Here a link to wikipedia to his biography : Cnut the Great.

Canute is not linked to Vinland. Thorfinn is, but he didn't discovered Vinland, it's Leif Ericksson.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Okuni Sensei View Post
    Well, it's not like the spelling is wrong, it differs following the country.
    Canute, which could be written Cnut, Knut or Knud, is the name of several kings of Denmark. The first one is our Canute from the manga.
    Here a link to wikipedia to his biography : Cnut the Great.

Canute is not linked to Vinland. Thorfinn is, but he didn't discovered Vinland, it's Leif Ericksson.
    I see that you know your viking history. That is quite impressive taking into consideration the fact that you're not scandinavian and most likely didn't have a history curriculum which had nearly 2 months of viking history and Norse mythology.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, some part of France, such as Normandie, are former Nordic territories.
    The Viking invasion covers at least two centuries (VIIIe-Xe), and some territories have a longer life before being integrated to the French Kingdom.
    Then, it could be natural to have interest in Nordic history and mythology, since they are some of our ancestors too (at least, it's my case).
    I read a lot about it, and Vinland Saga make things worse XD
    Last edited by Okuni Sensei; April 25, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: adding details

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo....the sly Askeladd dies.....poor guy, damn that thorfinn or thorkell if he doesn't give him a proper burial

Although Thorfinn's expressions were priceless....he looked like a lost kid

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly can't think of a way forward for this manga with Askeladd dead.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    well I can. the thing is, askeladd was just a device for Thorfinn's development, and to get the story into a curve and force everything to happen, to finally get the ball rolling. Sure he was important and all, but his role ended there. Besides, Thorfinn is the main character, if you remember. So root for him instead, and wonder how he's going to become who ever he will become in the future

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    Adding to what BB said, thorfinn can always work under canute's orders, alongside Thorkell.
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; April 27, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be difficult for some fans to follow for some of the next chapters, since one of the main characters disappears.
    Yeah, Askeladd had to die one day, but he was a pillar of the story until now, then it will be quite painful. But I still look at it as an unavoidable development of the story.

By the way, Thorfinn has no mentor anymore. He's perfectly alone.
    Well... there is Leif, but until now, Thorfinn never look at him as a model to follow.

In addition, it's me or Thorfinn never seek for Vinland? He asked to Leif to find it again, but he never think about finding it himself.
    I think it could be another development of the story : how Thorfinn will have new interest for Vinland.

In the other hand, there are to much questions in England before going out of the country : what about Canute and Harald? What about Floki, who still has a lot to say? Thorkell will let the kid going away that easily? He's the son of his best friend, and his own warrior model, after all.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say Thorfinn has no mentor anymore, what will he do, there's no way he can survive, etc.

However, we forget the fact that before anything, Thorfinn was Thors' son (yeah like any other shounen *cough* *cough*), he was destined for greatness right from the start. It's in his blood. You may say it's farfetched, or not seinen-sounding, but it does happen in real life.

As long as Thorfinn "regroups", and finds himself, remembers where he comes from, oh he'll go straight from there.

I now see the importance of Askeladd's back story, come to think of it. Askeladd and Thorfinn are quite similar. Something was taken away from them- a good life they could have had. They were both little ragamuffins. Now Askeladd realized he was the son of a king, and he should take what was right for him. Thorfinn should awaken as well- I hope

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    You could say Thorfinn has no mentor anymore, what will he do, there's no way he can survive, etc.
    That's not really what I wanted to say XD
    He's just to underline the fact he never think by himself until now, then the path to follow will be hard to find first.
    If Thorfinn couldn't live alone, he would be ALREADY dead...

You're right but even if he has Thors' blood (or "thanks to"), he's a thick-headed guy, that will take some time And Thors didn't realise himself before having a child. (If we had to wait for the same moment, that could be long. I'm not sure Thorfinn would be the type who knows how to speak with a girl...).
    And he's Helga's son as well : a passive woman who hardly shows his opinion (like all well-educated noble women of that era).

About Askeladd : Yeah, you're perfectly right, and I think Askeladd keep him because he recognised himself in Thorfinn, and try somewhere to "educated" him.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member tekko001's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The Scan its out:

Vinland Saga 54 by HOX

Sigh :
    Spoiler show

I can't believe how good this series is becoming, after watching the raw i thought that Askelads dead was a mistake but after reading the trans I must admit that this is one of the best twists i've read in quite a long time, with askelad alive this would have keep being a simple revenge story with Thorfinn as a one dimensional character driven by rage but his death allows(forces) him to have character development taking the series to a whole new level.

I have no Idea how this will go on but I've a good feeling about it...
    Last edited by tekko001; May 01, 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 54 is great... all these years spent with Askeladd Thorfinn could only think about revenge... I hope that he will start living his own life now... and become a true warrior Everything that happens next will be okay, as long as the manga doesn't finish too soon

New Reply
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast