Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2) , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto

Canute will appear in this manga, sooner or later. I've just read a book about vikings so I know that the death of king Sweyn was just a begginning of Canute's fights and a lot is going to happen - Thorfinn will have to be involved somehow and the easiest way is being Canute's bodyguard. And now he has become more reasonable, so maybe he will take part in planning battles and things like that.
    It's hard to explain what I mean in English, I hope it's understandable

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    The fact is this manga is called Vinland Saga and sooner or later Thorfinn will go to Vinland.
    Yeah, some voyages into the unknown would be good, that page of the open sea when Askelladd was dying was tantalising.. And I'm sure there was enough symbolic evidence that the Canute chapter of Thorfinn's life was over.

But all that stuff about 'selling the food they grow to their master at a fair price'.. must be a con, right?
    Last edited by Ratatosk; August 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Okuni Sensei's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really.

This type of slavery was common in Roman empire. There were different states of slavery :
    - The simple one : you're a slave, and you serve your master.
    - The master lend some money : He has to take care of the money, managing and yielding a profit. In the end, the slave has to give back the money, the exact amount of the beginning, but keep for him the profits. He can in the end buy his freedom. The result depends on the talent of the slave.
    - The master lend a field : same principle, but the production is given to the master. The master can allow the slave to conserve a small part for himself. He can live with it or selling it for his own good. But being free is more difficult. The part left to the slave is at the will of the master.

By the way, being slave of a powerful man is different to be slave of a commoner. Then the slaves of a noble can be educated, clever and living quite correctly. Although they remains the belongings of the master, unable to marry or having rights for example.

But that is for the Roman Empire, then Antiquity. I don't know for the situation in Scandinavia in Xe century.
    Here it seems to be a mix for the two last examples I gave above.
    Last edited by Okuni Sensei; August 26, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammar issues...

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that.
    I knew from a few of the sagas that some people (or people with enough wealth or status to get stories told about them anyway) valued/trusted their slaves highly enough to start blood feuds for them, but never found out how the system worked. More Wikipedia-ing and reading of forums needed

Mind you Wiki's not very detailed on Scandinavian slaves..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrall
    could it be that this info is not available online for free? shocking...

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    could it be that this info is not available online for free? shocking...
    No, I don't think so ^^
    It's just no one make it available yet.

I bought a history textbook about Vikings two days ago, and I was utterly surprised when I rod the slavery chapter : it described exactly Thorfinn's situation!
    It's a resume of an extract of "St Olaf's Saga". It's about a rich farmer : He allocates his fields to his slaves, the harvesting was kept by the slaves. They sold the harvest, and with the benefits can buy their freedom. That way, the real source of revenue of the farmer is in fact the money given by the slaves who buy their freedom. With it, he buys more slaves, who provide more money from their own work. It even said that, in average, a slave can be free within three years.

In fact, following this book, slaves weren't that badly treated, because they represented lots of money. It was the first revenue for the Viking society. Laws existed to define, protect and give status to them. The rules to become free were quite exhaustive and complete. And another surprise : people can become slave by their own choice!
    Well... bad masters existed anyway. But Ketil seems to be the average master of this time.
    Last edited by Okuni Sensei; September 02, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Wentwarth's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Still no RAWs for the new chapter? Does anyone know if it was in the magazine? Last page of chapter 56 said that the new one will be out on 8/25, but I can't find VS in the list of contents on Afternoon's page.. That's a little weird.

Do you guys think that Thorfinn will return to that village where Askeladd's party stayed for winter, once he and Einar buy themselves freedom (assuming they do)? I noticed that it was in Jutland too, when I was trying to find Thorfinn's conversation with Horda, the slave girl..
    Spoiler: Remember it? show

..And I think it would be nice if he visits it again, but I wouldn't place my bets on it.
    Last edited by Wentwarth; September 02, 2009 at 05:35 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Laika's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All signs point to a break this month.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the content page, it's the list of books published by Shueisha this month.
    In fact it seems like there's no content pages for the magazines, I never found it ^^;

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    All signs point to a break this month.
    But what reason can there be for such a sudden break? Those things are usually announced in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okuni Sensei View Post
    It's not the content page, it's the list of books published by Shueisha this month.
    In fact it seems like there's no content pages for the magazines, I never found it ^^;
    Oookay, now I feel stupid. Thank you for the information!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Nononooo, you're not stupid xD
    You're like me, not fluent in Japanese at all
    (I made the mistake before you)

For the break, yeah, it would have some announcement about it.
    Last time, there was one, but it was forgotten by the translator... I think it's just like last chapter : the scanner is taking his time.
    Lets remember the time where the delay was one month.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Laika's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Okuni Sensei View Post
    That's not completely correct either. The page that got linked to is correct for the contents of afternoon for this month. Just like http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/magazine/in...871/newest/552 will give you the contents for last month. This month's doesn't have Vinland saga listed, so one would assume it's on break.

The end blurb that I didn't TL for 56 doesn't mention any notice for break, it's just a blurb that the next issue will continue their adventures on Ketil farm.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

What... I made a mistake? I'm deeply sorry >.<
    But I still don't understand this page, even with Systran translation...

And making a break without some explanation, or just an announcement , is not really nice.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wentwarth View Post
    Do you guys think that Thorfinn will return to that village where Askeladd's party stayed for winter, once he and Einar buy themselves freedom (assuming they do)? I noticed that it was in Jutland too, when I was trying to find Thorfinn's conversation with Horda, the slave girl..
    can't be a coincidence.. nice one spotting that. I knew I should've kept track of where they were in the story
    it was worth re-reading that conversation just for the irony.
    (I suppose it might just be a coincidence, there's no accounting for what this writer will do to mess with us. Like the Artorius thing.. in any other manga it would have been a significant thing for Askeladd's 'destiny' or whatever, turns out just to be a slightly sad bit of character development.)

I'm sure something will happen to free Thorfinn before he buys his freedom, that would take years..

I hope it's this month, just late..
    Obviously there aren't as many people scanning manga as I thought.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner linuxnewb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no mistake, it is not in afternoon magazine this month... I bought the magazine and looked through it. Was in Japan last week and thought I would read it. I don't know the reason why either. No mention of it in chapter 56 from what I can see from the raw.
    Reading: Ubel Blatt, Naruto, Claymore, Bleach, Gantz, Ares

Translating: Ubel Blatt (randomly whatever hasn't been translated at the moment)

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanations, everyone, and for confirming the break, linuxnewb. It probably has something to do with vol.8 extras and cover art - it was originally scheduled to be published in August, but now Kodansha's site lists it as September's release.. Guess they needed a little more time to prepare it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the updated map - Denmark should be on it and I'll be able to satisfy my curiosity about villages' placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    I'm sure something will happen to free Thorfinn before he buys his freedom, that would take years..
    But a year and a half has already passed since Askeladd's death.. I think mangaka will dedicate a significant amount of time to the rest of Thorfinn's existence as a slave. The prologue was 55 chapters long after all.

New Reply
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast