Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Wow that series does seem like Vinland Saga, the facial hair and battle, plunder and finding new lands. How was the first episode?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome! 7 episodes released so far. I read some comments that it's not too accurate in history but I'm okay with artistic license or something. try watching it, i always compare it to how vikings are portrayed in this manga and in the show.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakensama View Post
    Wow that series does seem like Vinland Saga, the facial hair and battle, plunder and finding new lands. How was the first episode?
    The entire series is surprisingly, qualitative high. This is the first drama series of "History Channel" which becomes obvious a few times, it also does not have a high budget like cable networks but the script and the story, namely a fictional account of the legend of Ragnar, is surprisingly well done + the acting is top notch, even though most of the actors are rather unknown. I highly recommend the series. It is nothing fancy but depicts the first voyage to England in a believable way, especially in the historical context, without being too much like a documentary.
    It is no surprise that HC has ordered a second season for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    awesome! 7 episodes released so far. I read some comments that it's not too accurate in history but I'm okay with artistic license or something. try watching it, i always compare it to how vikings are portrayed in this manga and in the show.
    Yep, some things are historically not accurate, for example that the vikings did not know about England, or the execution in the first episode but these are choices to dramatize the legend even more.
    Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; April 18, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope it will be on HC asia, look awesome. what its on about anyway?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

-_- about Ragnar Lodbrok.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you babyosai, Musashi! I guess I'll have to check it out, one of the things that drew me to Vinland saga was my fascination with Norse mythology/legends/vikings.

---------- Post added May 02, 2013 at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was April 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM ----------

Finished watching the first season! It was pretty awesome, the acting was better than expected despite using mostly unknowns (besides Gabriel Byrne). I like how there was focus on the culture and religious practices rather than just the battles and fights. Wish the first season was longer, look forward to the second next year.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of wished they had dealt with the brother in the first season (thought it was 10 episodes like GoT, imagine my surprise) since i don´t think he can fill the shoes of being the main antagonist of Ragnar.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought it would go like the manga, hahaha.

the two episodes smelled strongly like the Vinland Saga plotline. A devoted farmer who was once a celebrated warrior, having a curious son around. Then farmer has dreams of a rich land far away and hears stories about it- sounded much like the manga at the onset.

So I was expecting Ragnar to actually die midway and see his son take center stage. But I guessed wrong.

Anyway, if you wish to discuss further about the series, maybe you would like to create a thread? In the General Entertainment board.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess some of you might not have seen it, so posting this here just in case:

There's going to be an important announcement for Vinland Saga

Big news will be in Afternoon january issue (25/11).

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

EEEEP! I smell anime!!!

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Grenze MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming Soon, Please Participate!

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In case people are interested, check out this hardcover english version of Vinland Saga:

As I mentioned in the chapter thread, this is most likely the reason the new chapter stopped getting translated, because if anyone wants to, they have to do it behind the scene. I imagine Kodansha US pressured the guys behind the translations quite a lot. Hardcover 2 just got released (covering volume 3 and 4), so I imagine they plan to go all the way until they're up to date with the current japanese release.

Still the hardcover release looks amazing They've included Yukimura's Oneshot in Hardcover 1 and I heard there's an exclusive interview with Yukimura in the second hardcover,

21. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    As I mentioned in the chapter thread, this is most likely the reason the new chapter stopped getting translated, because if anyone wants to, they have to do it behind the scene. I imagine Kodansha US pressured the guys behind the translations quite a lot.
    Hox openly stopped translating Vinland Saga because Kodansha USA asked him to do so. Translations from 4chan (gee, I wonder who's behind them) are currently on-hold for a certain reason. The translation will resume in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    They've included Yukimura's Oneshot in Hardcover 1 and I heard there's an exclusive interview with Yukimura in the second hardcover,
    The oneshot is named Sayonara ga Chikai no de ("For Our Farewell is Near"). It has 46 pages but Kodansha USA decided to divide it into parts. So there are first 10 pages of the oneshot in first hardback and another 11 pages in second hardback. The oneshot will have more pages in third hardback and should conclude with its last part in fourth harback.

There was supposed to be interview with Yukimura Makoto in second hardback but they ran out of time and didn't make it. So the interview should be published in third hardback.
    Huge fan of history and Nordic culture, serious mature stories, Yukimura Makoto, Iwaaki Hitoshi and Tezuka Osamu.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both hardcover volumes so far and my god they are amazing. I'm still honestly a bit shocked Vinland Saga has gotten such awesome treatment here.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine as soon as they were available but have forgotten to show it; I'll upload some pics of the one shot and anything else interesting. The whole packaging of the volume is stunning; one of the most prestine books I own. As Dermie said, I'm also a bit shocked at the lavishness. I guess it's to make up all that time waiting for english releases

27. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast