Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Hehe everytime I think "This manga is on par with Berserk!" I go to check back on Berserk and notice: "Damn, Berserk is soooo good...".
    Vinland Saga does look great. I don't think that it's really on the same level of Berserk, but close to it. As I said, it even improved during the latest arc. But I think most important is still that a style chosen for a manga looks conclusive and good for itself, and that's totally given for Vinland Saga. And the general panels/composition is great, too.

Some pages might not be just as brilliant in arts and detials as Berserk, but they're just absolutely cool.
    Two examples (neither are real story spoilers)
    Spoiler: Around ch. 42 show

Spoiler: Ch. 69 show
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    yeah the art does improve and in the most recent chapters they just bring me to tears

I give any manga the chance to improve over time really. If you notice it, a lot of manga get so much better in art after some ten volumes or so (berserk, for one).
    The beginning of Berserk is not as good as the current chapters of it, but yes Miura changed the art style to even better as the story prospered. A very good example of art that is hard to draw yet still filled with details and consistency of the characters looks.

@Roflkopt3r

Indeed, I understand Vinland Saga has it's own style to look after and to make it it's own style and not let's say be a copy of Berserk is good. One thing I would say though a manga being like Berserk is nothing to be looking down at. But mostly to me a "manga similar" to Berserk means one that has good art but the art is not a copy.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well just to be clear anyway, I just pointed out the progression of the art that is inherent in most manga, not just Berserk or Vinland. A lot of manga start out sucky in art. Kokou no Hito is another example.

Anyway, the art really isn't such a turn off in the beginning parts of Vinland Saga. It's very "cute" and curvy and soft despite its subject matter, but the kick-assery of the whole package makes up for it.

Also, the mangaka really makes use of facial expressions well. I love how he draws the characters' faces in this manga.
    Last edited by baboysai; February 18, 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Yukimura after all, he had great faces in Planetes already when the overall arts was worse
    In comparison of panels over time and between different "moods" of the story it sometimes looks like they'ld come from totally different manga, yet somewhat suiting in style. By which I mean that the style differs a lot, but it doesn't look like an unintentional mistake/unconsistency, but rather a good use of various styles.

I don't think that Kokou no Hito ever sucked in arts, but that's a different topic ofc

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the explanation of the art and such in Vinland Saga, oh well this weekend will be filled with free time for me so hopefully I will get far in the chapters, on more thing though this involves the story it has not fantastic elements what so ever right?

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Thanks everyone for the explanation of the art and such in Vinland Saga, oh well this weekend will be filled with free time for me so hopefully I will get far in the chapters, on more thing though this involves the story it has not fantastic elements what so ever right?
    Nope, absolutely no fantasy. No magic, no mystical creatures or items, nothing.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Em why should Berserk be always taken as the standard? Its a great manga and may be one of the earliest seinens to reach that height of greatness, but there are some better ones that have come out since. Vinland saga can definitely become one of those. It already beats berserk in non-linearity i believe.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't personally take Berserk as a best manga or seinen. Yeah, Berserk is really great and I love it. But in fact I like more Vinland Saga than Berserk, actually I like Vinland Saga more than anything. It features my favourite theme middleage and vikings, it has great art. And it excellents in plot and characters psyche. Yukimura Makoto is my favourite mangaka which he proves even in Planetes and Sayonara ga Chikai no de. I enjoy every chapter of VS and I find this slave arc awesome. It features Einar, great character, good friend to Thorfinn. For Thorfinn... his development is really very well done. He was consumed by hatred and only death of his target can save him. I just love Vinland Saga and I hope that it will be still for a long time (It's a saga after all).

Thanks for clarification.
    Last edited by You Say; April 15, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@ you say [witty username lol]

I don't see the need for a spoilers here. You aren't talking about the latest chapter or mentioning any part of it ...so you don't need spoilers for that.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Once a chapter has been out for 24 hr. it can be discussed without spoiler tags. That applies to any series in this forum. Anyone reading this thread who isn't caught up is risking spoilers anyway.

I don't entirely like the comparison between VS and Berserk. There are similarities but they're are enough differences that each stand on their own. Vinland is one of the best realistic history series, free of fantasy and super powers, nor romanticizing what the middle ages were like. All the violence is left intact. Berserk is one of the best fantasy series ever written, an epic of violent symbolism. I think has more in common with ancient epics, like Paradise Lost or the Odyssey, than it does with Vinland. Actually, I think Berserk has more in common with One Piece than Vinland Saga. One Piece is the manga Argonautica, an epic voyage in search of the golden fleece. Berserk is the Odyssey, a cursed warrior forced on a violent journey against his will.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think comparisons between the two exist because of the setting, themes, and even some of the characters being similar. However, the narrative thus far isn't THAT similar.

It's more that they look similar.

That being said, I think he's been influenced my Miura at least somewhat.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone provide me with a link to a timeline, or maybe spell out the dates for me?

It's been a while since I have read some chapters, but I am completely lost on the dates since the slavery arc started.

I have no clue how old anyone is any longer, I have no clue how long the slave arc has lasted....

thanks in advance for your help
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think comparisons between the two exist because of the setting, themes, and even some of the characters being similar. However, the narrative thus far isn't THAT similar.

It's more that they look similar.

That being said, I think he's been influenced my Miura at least somewhat.
    I really don't see it beeing that similar, I still see the styles beeing vastly different. Both in environment as well as in optical design mainly - there we have the super detailled armors and weapons with every screw and bolt beeing in place in Berserk, and here we got the rather simple clothes and equipment (still looking good though and fitting the scenario) of Vinland Saga.

Also the drawing style of Berserk seems a little "dirtier" to me than that of Vinland Saga, which especially now looks very clean. This is no rating however, it's just a stylistical difference. I even prefer the dirty look of Berserk.

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    Can someone provide me with a link to a timeline, or maybe spell out the dates for me?

It's been a while since I have read some chapters, but I am completely lost on the dates since the slavery arc started.

I have no clue how old anyone is any longer, I have no clue how long the slave arc has lasted....

thanks in advance for your help
    It's a good question, I hope I'll find some time having a look at that these days.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Once a chapter has been out for 24 hr. it can be discussed without spoiler tags. That applies to any series in this forum. Anyone reading this thread who isn't caught up is risking spoilers anyway.

I don't entirely like the comparison between VS and Berserk. There are similarities but they're are enough differences that each stand on their own. Vinland is one of the best realistic history series, free of fantasy and super powers, nor romanticizing what the middle ages were like. All the violence is left intact. Berserk is one of the best fantasy series ever written, an epic of violent symbolism. I think has more in common with ancient epics, like Paradise Lost or the Odyssey, than it does with Vinland. Actually, I think Berserk has more in common with One Piece than Vinland Saga. One Piece is the manga Argonautica, an epic voyage in search of the golden fleece. Berserk is the Odyssey, a cursed warrior forced on a violent journey against his will.
    Wow so much love for one piece...

any case its true that vinland saga and berserk are rather different, but its not entirely impossible to compare between them on general grounds like plot,characterization etc.

on those counts i find berserk (and one piece) rather falling short of the depth in relation to the comparisons you have made for them.

i would say vinland saga has a more feeling of an epic,than berserk,even though the later rather conspicuously tries to become one. May be that's why vinland has done better so far. Instead of trying too hard to be all epic and great, it sort stayed within itself and patiently kept exploring and increasing its own boundaries.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one interesting thing to note is, that Berserk isn't really much about society or human interaction (with society), it's really a lone wolf scenario of interesting individuals clashing which each other.
    But in VS it's a lot about behaviour towards others and in society, even though it took Thorfinn quite a while to realise that. Here nobody is totally independend like Gatsu or Griffith are, which also makes it much more realistic in social terms. Even stray dog Thorfinn always was or is part of a certain group and has his dependencies.

This ultimately makes VS a little more adult imo.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast