Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga Hangout Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    i would say vinland saga has a more feeling of an epic,than berserk,even though the later rather conspicuously tries to become one. May be that's why vinland has done better so far. Instead of trying too hard to be all epic and great, it sort stayed within itself and patiently kept exploring and increasing its own boundaries.
    I think longevity and sales figures would beg to differ. That being said, if you meant "done better" as a statement of preference, then that's something entirely different, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    I think one interesting thing to note is, that Berserk isn't really much about society or human interaction (with society), it's really a lone wolf scenario of interesting individuals clashing which each other.
    But in VS it's a lot about behaviour towards others and in society, even though it took Thorfinn quite a while to realise that. Here nobody is totally independend like Gatsu or Griffith are, which also makes it much more realistic in social terms. Even stray dog Thorfinn always was or is part of a certain group and has his dependencies.

This ultimately makes VS a little more adult imo.
    Sometimes I think people get tricked into thinking Vinland Saga is deeper (for lack of a better term) because it's rooted in real history, and doesn't have a fantasy setting. Berserk is just as philosophically deep as Vinland Saga is in my opinion, but the view of it gets clouded by it's Fantasy Epic nature as well as the gore. If you don't think Guts has dependencies than you're forgetting about his past and present (don't want to spoil).

Moderator message by: Roflkopt3r
    My reply is really going far into Berserk now, so I made it a Berserk Thread
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; April 17, 2011 at 04:20 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think longevity and sales figures would beg to differ. That being said, if you meant "done better" as a statement of preference, then that's something entirely different, but I digress.
    Nope i meant 'done better' as from the pov of quality,not sales and longevity. And there are ways to get that 'personal preference' factor out of equation when one really wants to judge the quality,so no point trying to downplay everything into 'personal preference'.

I think one interesting thing to note is, that Berserk isn't really much about society or human interaction (with society), it's really a lone wolf scenario of interesting individuals clashing which each other.
    But in VS it's a lot about behaviour towards others and in society, even though it took Thorfinn quite a while to realise that. Here nobody is totally independend like Gatsu or Griffith are, which also makes it much more realistic in social terms. Even stray dog Thorfinn always was or is part of a certain group and has his dependencies.

This ultimately makes VS a little more adult imo.
    I agree to this. Miura got it wrong in what makes the epics epics. its not just the great struggle of the characters,its that despite all the strange fantasies,the worlds in them does reflect our worlds. An epic deals with a great scope and that's why, in them one would find almost all of the human elements coming into play in different characters without much partiality to any of them.

Berserk has become way too much concentrated on two characters and their rather fancy rivalry.

Vinland saga on the other hand has been so open to its world so far.Many characters with many varied goals,moving the plot in such way that shows so many layers of its society and world...its scale has been quite grandiose. Its been very near to the perfect mixture of introspection and looking at the greater scope of the wider world.

But i will be lying if i say i'm not worried a little at this stage. I hope yukimura won't turn VS into a philosophy-centred one. That will be a let down for me.
    Last edited by ashher; April 17, 2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm I shouldn't have written that last sentence... Berserk's depth is really often underestimated, and I don't really mean that Vinland Saga is deeper than Berserk. I just mean that it's much closer to reality not only superficially (no fantasy monsters and stuff) but also in it's social interactions and dependencies.

The choice on how many characters Berserk focusses also really doesn't have to do anything with it imo, and again this is going quite far into the corner of analyzing Berserk, which obviously isn't the goal of the Vinland Saga Board.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm I shouldn't have written that last sentence... Berserk's depth is really often underestimated, and I don't really mean that Vinland Saga is deeper than Berserk. I just mean that it's much closer to reality not only superficially (no fantasy monsters and stuff) but also in it's social interactions and dependencies.

The choice on how many characters Berserk focusses also really doesn't have to do anything with it imo, and again this is going quite far into the corner of analyzing Berserk, which obviously isn't the goal of the Vinland Saga Board.
    wonder what is meant by that vague deeper word. i didn't say VS is deeper myself either.

and we need a place for berserk vs vinland saga apparently

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    Askeladd killed Sven (or Sweyn if you want) in early of 1014 if I recall it correctly.
    Then we know that Einar was brought to Ketil's farm at the end June of 1015. There he started working with Thorfinn. Then we saw a "Knut's methods" (or Canute if you want) at some part of year 1015. After that in september 1015 Einar and Thorfinn "Needs a Horse". In October they started planting seeds. In November the seeds sprouted out and Thorgrin, son of Ketil, comes back to the farm. Later the servants ruined Einar's and Thorfinn's plantation, which leads to fight. Thorfinn lands a first punch and after that he's knocked out and in his dream he meets people of his past (Thors, Askeladd, Bjorn...). Einar show his might and puts a epic fight againts servants. Servants wents away to tell their master about this.

In latest chapter we've transfered into year 1018, when Knut is going to his brother.

This might be better.

June
    - Einar arrives at Ketil's farm where he meets Thorfinn

June - September
    - Knut begins to fall under the curse of crown

September
    - Einar and Thorfinn meets headmaster of Ketil's farm and begin some kind of friendly relationship with him

October
    - Einar and Thorfinn starts planting seeds

November
    - Seeds sprouts out and Thorgrin, son of Ketil, comes back to the farm
    - Servants ruins Einar's and Thorfinn's plantation
    - Which leads to fight
    - Thorfinn is knocked out and in his dream he meets people of his past
    - Einar show his might and puts a epic fight againts servants
    - Servants goes away to tell their master about this

- Knut is going to see his brother and still falls deeper and deeper under the curse of the crown

Thorfinn is probably 19 or 20 years old in Slave arc. Einar is 20 years old. But maybe even 21 during arc, because we don't know when he have birthday And for November, It's not definitive that all of that happened in November.

If you want to edit or add something then go ahead. I hope that I didn't wrote some incorrect informations. But I hope thats not the case.

EDIT: Now when I re-read Slave arc (again, I wonder how many times I already read it) I really admire how well does Yukimura thought up new characters. Einar is simply awesome, great understanding friend and his character is simply epic. Ketil is a kind man who wants to help people (as we saw from the robbery incident). Old Ketil is wise old man who slightly guides Thorfinn and Einar in their lives of slaves. And Patil, I find this character very but very interesting, he was a slave, worked hard and bought freedom for himself but stay with his former master, I assume that he is aware of Ketil's kindness. He sympathize with other slaves but he is still fair and that is what makes him interesting in my eyes. As we saw in robbery incdent he comes up with utterly fair and logical resolution.
    I wonder what he will do when Einar and Thorfinn gets to the master after recent fight.

But damn, Yukimura Makoto is genius. And when it comes to the characters he is awesome genius. He makes real believable charaters. I'm sorry but I just can't find a better mangaka than him. Still I like many other mangakas like Okamoto Rin (or Lynn if you want) and Hiro Mashima (great shonen mangaka).
    Last edited by You Say; April 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

6. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    Nope i meant 'done better' as from the pov of quality,not sales and longevity. And there are ways to get that 'personal preference' factor out of equation when one really wants to judge the quality,so no point trying to downplay everything into 'personal preference'.
    I often have a hard time chalking everything up to personal preference as well. However, when you have two works of the caliber of Berserk and Vinland Saga, which one is better, etc can really only be left up to personal preference. Maybe it's a cop-out, but I prefer to let people have their opinions, rather than look for something that is as definitive as saying one is "done better" than the other, and implying that personal preference has nothing to do with such a statement.

But I digress...

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that a lot of the objective measures of quality for Vinland and Berserk are equal, or close enough to equal. The art, writing, character development, and pace are so good in both that any difference is a matter of preference. Fans of realism might prefer Vinland, fans of fantasy/mythological settings might prefer Berserk. Neither series have any glaring weaknesses, or flaws, to give one a critical edge over the other.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for information. In the last volume (10) of Vinland Saga were bonus pages for 71. chapter. Awesome drawing as always.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by saladesu; May 03, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: 3 images rule

11. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't translate but that's some epic facepalm in the bottom corner of page three

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I can't translate but that's some epic facepalm in the bottom corner of page three
    That's a kinda weird angle for that arm by the way (and his hand looks strong like a bench vice)
    Really curious about what happens there!
    Spoiler show

Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a miniature of this months Afternoon issue. I must say that is awesome again. I only wonder why Yukimura keeps coloring characters on color pages in such a... interesting way. He gives them a greeny blond hair. Now a blue on a clothes (highly unlikely in year 1018). I like this different style, but still I like more "normal" colors like classic blond and lighty brown clothes. But nah, let's just enjoy this awesome cover.

And I'm sorry to moderators for my previous post. I will make sure that it won't happen again. When I gets some high quality version I'll put it into Color/Cover thread.

Still I wonder what happened in this chapter. Maybe there were even Thorfinn and It wasn't only Knut's chapter... Too bad that Einar didn't get his place on the cover.
    Last edited by You Say; May 07, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

16. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. Been reading VS for a while, but didn't realize there was a subforum here at MangaHelpers XD

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vespertine's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, have this been licensed outside japan?

Thanks.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    Vinland Saga is licensed in France, Italia and China. But not in Great Britain or USA, which really makes me mad.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like where Thorfinn is going. Trying to live with Christian ideals in the XI century must have been nearly impossible.

New Reply
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast