Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Gantz

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner idlefingers's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Gantz

Title: Gantz
    Genres: Seinen
    Author: Hiroya Oku
    Publication: Weekly Young Jump
    Start Date: Oct. 2000
    End Date: ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 268
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 268

General Overview: Kei Kurano was an average teenager until he and his friend Masaru Kato accidently end up dead after being hit by a subway train. The next thing both boys know they are in room with a big black ball, which forces them to hit the streets of Tokyo and kill alien targets, or be killed themselves.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 10
    Oku is a mad genius when it comes to art. He's unique in that he blends in photography with his own drawings. The faces are realistic, and the art is so detailed you can read the chapter 10x over and find a new detail that was missed each time. That and Oku's natural ability for creating characters with beautiful bodies makes the art for Gantz worth checking out alone.

Plot: 6
    The main plot is to kill aliens while fighting for their own survival. For each alien killed points are given, until a reward is earned. Unfortunately, even as far as current readers know, Gantz and the purpose of it is still shrouded in mystery, and once the big reason is revealed this number would probably go up.

Characters: 10
    Gantz is known for its exploitation of women, guns and violence. But it makes up for it in character development. The violence and sex is what hooks people, it's the development that keeps one reading. Character development is easily on par with the art.

Themes: 7
    I believe the MAIN theme is how anyone can rise to a challenge and change for the better. Gantz is known for it's outstanding character development, and we see this change take place in not only the main character, but several side ones as well. There is also the idea of doing everything possible in order to survive.

Originality: 9
    I can see where someone may argue the originality of the story, but no one can say the aliens lack originality. Everything from onion heads to birdmen to hentai women (don't ask, just read). When they are in a mission every chapter brings a new surprise.

Overall: 9
    When I did the math my scores added up to an 8.4 but I'm going to bump it up to a 9. Gantz is my current favorite manga, and even with the missions sometimes dragging I'm almost never disappointed. Art, character, originality, as well as emotion all adds up. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect manga is the plot. Either way, highly recommended!!

Spoiler: Mature Content. Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 16, 2008 at 12:38 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member fluke32's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz

Although you say GANTZ is you're favorite manga ATM, you seem to be missing some of the more important key points. In fact, I think that the way you have described the theme and plot of this manga are lacking. Kill All Aliens is the general idea, but not both the plot and the theme.

The Overall Theme of GANTZ isn't simply "Kill all Aliens" but in fact, actually is "survival in the supernatural world" while the plot is "people being forced to participate in a sick survival game after each individual's deaths where they become hunters of so-called aliens".

These plot and theme design makes the manga more intriguing and more attractive to readers for this is the day and age where people like watching reality shows. Gantz shows that essence of realism in how some people have to literally "kill" in order to survive.

And with that said, I agree that this manga is a 9/10. My math went like:
    Art - 10/10
    Plot - 8/10
    Character - 10/10
    Theme - 8/10
    Originality - 9/10
    Overall - 9/10
    Last edited by fluke32; March 07, 2008 at 03:46 AM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fluke32 View Post

The Overall Theme of GANTZ isn't simply "Kill all Aliens" but in fact, actually is "survival in the supernatural world"...

[/B]
    Well, I was being halfway tongue in cheek with the KILL THE ALIENS thing... I believe the MAIN theme is how anyone can rise to a challenge and change for the better. We saw Kei do it, as well as Muscle Rider, Reika, and even Izumi to a point. But often that idea is overshadowed by the KILL 'EM ALL mentality of the manga.

And I disagree that the theme is "survival in the supernatural world". I guess it could be applied, but it's a pretty generic idea which could describe just about every other manga, from Bleach to Amatsuki, Inuyasha, Ayashi no Ceres, Shinigami Lovers, Bokurano, Gantz, etc. etc.. You get the point.
    Last edited by idlefingers; March 08, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idlefingers View Post
    Well, I was being halfway tongue in cheek with the KILL THE ALIENS thing... I believe the MAIN theme is how anyone can rise to a challenge and change for the better. We saw Kei do it, as well as Muscle Rider, Reika, and even Izumi to a point. But often that idea is overshadowed by the KILL 'EM ALL mentality of the manga.

And I disagree that the theme is "survival in the supernatural world". I guess it could be applied, but it's a pretty generic idea which could describe just about every other manga, from Bleach to Amatsuki, Inuyasha, Ayashi no Ceres, Shinigami Lovers, Bokurano, Gantz, etc. etc.. You get the point.
    Well my point was that it has to be said. It is a review after all. We can't say that this is a proper review to everyone if it doesn't describe the manga fully. But anyway, that's the my only quip on your review, other than those, nothing much. But still I think you can do the review better, that's all.

PS
    The reviews were made so that it could interest a lot more people to look at the mangas, but with little detail I don't think it will get that many attention. And we don't want that to happen even to this epic manga, right?
    Last edited by fluke32; March 10, 2008 at 07:14 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fluke32 View Post
    Well my point was that it has to be said. It is a review after all. We can't say that this is a proper review to everyone if it doesn't describe the manga fully.
    I can see what you're saying, but I think the plot description pretty much describes the survival in a supernatural world part. And if someone who read the review didn't catch it, then they should by now after reading our discussion about it.

Even so, I'll probably revise the theme, so that it's not so tongue in cheek. Reading it over, I think it's out of place.

I'll reword the plot as well to include the whole "survival" thing, because you're right, thre is much more to it than killing aliens.
    Last edited by idlefingers; March 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hollow Kurono's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 10
    Oku is a master and the way he draws and his style is amazing to watch..the way he re-created the aliens from Japanese folklores is amazing,no just beutifull.The way he draws the chrachters,the way he draws them sexy girls and to put them into the tight/black Gantz suit is worth reading.Im telling you the way he draws them aliens is just beutifull.

Plot:9-10
    Well its definantly not 6.The plot is not only to kill aliens but to survive and to get back to your ordinary lifes.This manga isnt always focusing on the missions and action,but love,betrayels and other stuff which make a great manga.Oku shows theyre life behind the Gantz room which are preety disturbing and Oku is giving some loosers a chance to become no loosers and to get back at theyre bullies.This manga isnt only about killing aliens,just read it and you will love it.

Characters: 10
    The charachters are amazing,Kurono Kei,Katou Masaru and many more.And everyone is different,has there own style,theyre own vision and look on life,the way he created those charachters and showing theyre lifes and stugles is just perfect.In this manga even the main charachter can die,just see it and you wont regret it.

Originality:10
    You must respect OKu,what he did is amazing,the originality is insane,the main charachter has no powers,just an ordinary human...but can compete with any alien,the way he made those suits that make people stronger,the guns,the time lags of those guns and made Gantz like a game,game of life.The way he made the main charachter beeing a loser and other stuff,for me the best manga ive seen and Kurono Kei is my charachter,for me hes no loser.

Overall:10
    Last edited by Luckas; April 14, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurono, that's a good review, but you dropped a major spoiler bomb in it. And the reviews are suppose to be spoiler free.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idlefingers View Post
    Kurono, that's a good review, but you dropped a major spoiler bomb in it. And the reviews are suppose to be spoiler free.
    LOL! Yeah! Now the thrill of knowing the story has literally been thrown out the window! At least put spoiler tags on the parts where you just said one of the story's ending.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vespir's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

gantz is one of my favorite mangas

MH's Most Fashionable Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Shinsatsu's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

The plot should at least get an 8 at this point, even before the revelation of the true purpose behind Gantz.

New Reply