Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Luffy vs. Zoro! Who would win?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member marte1980's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy vs. Zoro! Who would win?

Quote Originally Posted by Freakzin View Post
    well if you think about it, anyone can get sliced up by swords, maybe just not franky, so it shouldn't be that bad for luffy, i think luffy's greatest enemies are logias, not swordsmen
    Well, Logia users are the worst enemies of everyone, except for other Logia users when the elements have some particular match ups.
    But, except for that, in general I agree with you, swordsman aren't the worst enemies for Luffy, Logia users are a lot worse.
    SPQR
    ------------------------------
    O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!
    Sondern laßt uns angenehmere
    anstimmen und freudenvollere.
    Freude! Freude!
    ------------------------------
    You highest men whom my eyes have seen, this is my doubt about you and my secret laughter: I guess that you would call my overman—devil!
    What is great is so alien to your souls that the overman would be terrifying to you in his goodness ...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Navid.'s Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

They have fought each other once already in the manga and it was a complete draw, and I believe if they were to fight again it would be another draw.

I don't know if it's because of the fans, the target audience are boys in their teens, but it's obvious Oda will always give Luffy the main opponent to cement the idea that he is the main character of the story...

Even here within mangahelpers (which I like to think is filled with a more mature group of people) you can these days notice the outcry when a second character is getting as much attention and power as the main character, in this example Naruto and Sasuke.

To talk a bit more logical about it, as I said they have already had one fight... a draw. From there they have had their own power-ups and conflicts, and as someone mentioned Luffy seems to always reach the very brink of his life to defeat the strongest opponent while Zoro hasn't reached the same state since Mihawk.

In fact we see Luffy activate and use his Gears on a regular basis since their introduction yet Zoro has not gone back to using Azura since his first use (which pretty much annihilated Kaku at the time.

So I still believe if they were to fight again, it will still end in a draw.
    - Even with my eyes wide open, I can't see a thing -

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they are about equal.

Lets not forget that for most of the manga Zoro has been injured or lost. If he wasn't seriously injured or lost then Don Krieg, Arlong (who a 100% Sanji couldn't beat) and the guy who ate everything would have been been completely stomped by having both Luffy and Zoro there. When Luffy and Zoro are both fighting enemies Luffy usually wins and immediately passes out from injuries while Zorro is still healthy enough to fight marines and walk around.

Buggy - His devil fruit is Zoro's weakness.

Cat claw guy - Zoro goes to save the girl and doesn't try to fight the next guy.

Don Krieg - Zoro is almost killed by Hawkeye so he can't fight.

Arlong - Zoro is pretty much dieing yet he still beat Hachi and holds Arlong off. A healthy Zoro makes this arc end quickly.

Eat everything guy- Zoro gets lost so he and Luffy don't stomp everyone.

Crocodile - If Zoro knows his weakness he can win. Zoro also fights Mr. 1 who I think would be Luffy's worst enemy since he couldn't even punch him, kind of like Zoro and Buggy.

Enel - Luffy happens to have the exact power capable of hurting him.

Lucchi - Very strong but here is no reason to say Zoro couldn't win. Luffy wins and can't even move afterwards while Zoro defeats Kaku and is still capable of fighting an army of marines that attack them.

Moria/Oz - Luffy wins because he gets the one time power up of the shadows and then gets help from the others to defeat Oz.

Overall I think they are about equal. Oda has done a great job of sidelining Zoro from the captain's fights without making him appear weak or turning him into a cheerleader.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Superman's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6thangel View Post
    I think they are about equal.
    Your right.
    If Luffy dont activate one of the gears or both they are equal.

If i think about.... did you mean only in strenght or in fighting style+strenght?
    March 28, 2006—Pampering pets with designer goods isn't so unusual—and now even your houseflies can get outfitted in style.

The fly has cooler glasses than me!!!
    EHHHHHHH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE CONTACTS WOOOOOT

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member neomaster121's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

no he doesn't mean equal without gears he means nearly equal with

Zoro has proven he can handle Gear 3 Zoro easily deflects OZ attack

Gear 2 doesn't increase speed it is SORU which he uses and Zoro already countered Kaku who used Soru So Shut Up about gears boosting luffy far above Zoro unless you can show some facts which there are none with thiller bark to counter each claim u could make about gears

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/474/04/

Zoro deflecting oz's punch, with prue power...
    so i think you should retract some of the rubbish you were saying about Zoro fighting luffy with gear 3

He uses Soru here http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/401/06/

then reuses Soru again http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/401/08/

now in the second page zoro's view was blocked and yet he still reacted and defended against Kaku who was using Soru

Please calm down. ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Luckas; April 28, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

luffy has his gears
    zoro has asura.

simple

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted KnuckleheadedNinja's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

a see them drawing if they fight again.

"Too much hope is the opposite of despair... an overpowering love may consume you in the end."

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member admirenkiwi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol whats the point of asking luffy vs zoro when we all know that answer >_>
    luffy of course!
    i havnt found anything to dislike about one piece yet.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ANBU4U's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neomaster121 View Post
    no he doesn't mean equal without gears he means nearly equal with

Zoro has proven he can handle Gear 3 Zoro easily deflects OZ attack

Gear 2 doesn't increase speed it is SORU which he uses and Zoro already countered Kaku who used Soru So Shut Up about gears boosting luffy far above Zoro unless you can show some facts which there are none with thiller bark to counter each claim u could make about gears

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/474/04/

Zoro deflecting oz's punch, with prue power...
    so i think you should retract some of the rubbish you were saying about Zoro fighting luffy with gear 3

He uses Soru here http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/401/06/

then reuses Soru again http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/401/08/

now in the second page zoro's view was blocked and yet he still reacted and defended against Kaku who was using Soru

Please calm down. ~ Luckas
    All Soru aren't created equal. You honestly think Blueno could keep up with Lucci?

Speaking of Blueno, his fight with Luffy proves the same point, as both could use soru.....and yet Blueno could not keep up with luffy after he started using the technique. (Which his body is only fast enough to preform in gear 2nd btw.)

And yes, gear 2nd does increase Luffy's speed. Just look at ALL of his techniques in gear 2nd.
    Whats the diffrence between them and normal Luffy?
    O yea....they're faster
    So why on earth wouldn't luffy in general be faster? That would make no sense at all.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

i remmeber oda once saying luffy and zoro are equal but with different abilities that back eachother up, dunno remember where i readed that

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANBU4U View Post
    All Soru aren't created equal. You honestly think Blueno could keep up with Lucci?

Speaking of Blueno, his fight with Luffy proves the same point, as both could use soru.....and yet Blueno could not keep up with luffy after he started using the technique. (Which his body is only fast enough to preform in gear 2nd btw.)

And yes, gear 2nd does increase Luffy's speed. Just look at ALL of his techniques in gear 2nd.
    Whats the diffrence between them and normal Luffy?
    O yea....they're faster
    So why on earth wouldn't luffy in general be faster? That would make no sense at all.
    Luffy's main speed increase while using gear 2 is his soru technique. Blueno said it himself. Also i wouldn't think there would be such a difference in speed between the top 3 cp9 when it came to soru. Its soru which luffy uses in gear 2 for the speed.

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ANBU4U's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neomaster121 View Post
    Luffy's main speed increase while using gear 2 is his soru technique. Blueno said it himself. Also i wouldn't think there would be such a difference in speed between the top 3 cp9 when it came to soru. Its soru which luffy uses in gear 2 for the speed.
    It doesn't change the fact that luffy is faster in general in gear 2nd.

Case and point...he can't even use soru unless he's in gear 2nd. His body isn't able to handle the move.

What, does luffy use Soru on his fist too? Is that why they're faster?

Gear 2nd increases Luffy's metabolism, which increases the speed at which all of his muscles work. ALL of them, from the ones in his arms, to those in his thighs and shins, to his very heart. Their all faster.
    Soru adds to that speed yes, but my point is that the technique only amplifies the users base speed...it doesn't propel the user at some pre-determined velocity like...o...Goku's instant transmission.

Franky could keep up with Fukuro, but he couldn't even begin to get past Lucci.
    Zorro could keep up with kaku, but that doesn't mean he could keep up with Lucci and Luffy.

You say you don't think theres a big difference between the top 3 of CP9. I say thats absolutely ridiculous.

Look at their Douriki:

Lucci- 4000

kaku- 2200
    Jyabura- 2180

Everyone Else- Sub 850!

There are clearly 3 leagues within CP9. Lucci, Kaku-Jyabura, then everyone else.

Add that to Franky's statement (that the rest of them would have been annihilated by Lucci) and I just can't see why you'd just assume there isn't a major difference between the top three agents of CP9.
    Last edited by ANBU4U; May 01, 2008 at 02:21 PM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Schrödinger's cat 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anax's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Popo View Post
    This is fiction. Oda did his best to give everyone his own enemy he fits best to.
    boss against boss, sword against sword (and woman against sanji ). Zorro would have no chance against Enel, but i doubt Luffy could have beaten Mr.1 back then.
    Mr. Popo and I agree. Seriously, the guy summed up in a paragraph what would have taken me pages to convey

I only need to elaborate on two points.
    One is purpose. Why would those two fight? In OP a character's "drive" is what decides the outcome of most battles, not their sheer "stats".
    Second is compatibility. Presumably no one in the Mugiwara crew could take down Perona, apart from Usopp. Presumably Mr. 1 would have sliced and diced Luffy back then.
    On the other hand, drive can sometimes make people overcome compatibility issues (with a little help from Oda's ingenius, albeit nonsensical plot tools). So, when Luffy couldn't beat Crocodile's power, he used a water barrel. . .

My personal opinion is biased, since Zoro and Dracule Mihawk are my favorite characters in OP, but I think Zoro could defeat Luffy... under the right circumstances. What are those? A setting were Zoro was a pirate hunter and Luffy wasn't trying to be the pirate king perhaps?

Lastly, let me point out that character battles are situational and are bound by each manga's plot. To try and remove the characters from their context and pit them in a fight to the death in some imaginary arena, sometimes means to strip them of powers such us, terrain, morale, drive, moral support etc. Also, in the end, who are we to speak in a definitive manner? Sometimes, not even the mangaka knows in their head, whether X could kill Y. They might not even want to know. So, let us speculate in peace, without spewing bile at each other.
    ~Schrödinger's Cat

16. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANBU4U View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that luffy is faster in general in gear 2nd.

Case and point...he can't even use soru unless he's in gear 2nd. His body isn't able to handle the move.

What, does luffy use Soru on his fist too? Is that why they're faster?

Gear 2nd increases Luffy's metabolism, which increases the speed at which all of his muscles work. ALL of them, from the ones in his arms, to those in his thighs and shins, to his very heart. Their all faster.
    Soru adds to that speed yes, but my point is that the technique only amplifies the users base speed...it doesn't propel the user at some pre-determined velocity like...o...Goku's instant transmission.

Franky could keep up with Fukuro, but he couldn't even begin to get past Lucci.
    Zorro could keep up with kaku, but that doesn't mean he could keep up with Lucci and Luffy.

You say you don't think theres a big difference between the top 3 of CP9. I say thats absolutely ridiculous.

Look at their Douriki:

Lucci- 4000

kaku- 2200
    Jyabura- 2180

Everyone Else- Sub 850!

There are clearly 3 leagues within CP9. Lucci, Kaku-Jyabura, then everyone else.

Add that to Franky's statement (that the rest of them would have been annihilated by Lucci) and I just can't see why you'd just assume there isn't a major difference between the top three agents of CP9.
    The douriki just mentions their strength lvls in normal form nothing more nothing less so you saying that Soru would be completely different speeds within the top 3 is your own opinion unconfirmed by anyone

Also if his soru is faster how far fast do you think lucci's soru beats kaku by?

gear 2 may increase his attacking speed as well but again it doesn't increase it so far that lucci couldn't deal with it and when you talk about franky for one he barely knew all of them and thier strengths and weakness also lucci with shigan was preety deadly so with luffy's rubber body he was less impacted by the attack.

But i still maintain that Zoro could deal with gear 3 and beat him with power as shown in the manga page i've shown. Gear 2 i still maintain that luffy's speed wouldn't overpower him

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Luffy is slightly stronger than Zoro. 'Cause Luffy is the captain, usually the captain in a crew is the strongest and he is also the main protagonist.

I don't wanne play Luffy's attacks vs Zoro's attacks, that's pretty idiotic imo, since there are too many scenarios you could come up with.

New Reply
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast