Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: 目玉 (Need a bit of help before I screwed my trans again -*- )

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

目玉 (Need a bit of help before I screwed my trans again -*- )

Hi~! X3

Just how long does it take me to understand that when we have questions, posting here is fine . . . (just read back at the translator guide) . . . -*-

OK. I'm curious, because I don't think I understand what any of the dictionary is telling me when I search it up.

I came across this in Embalming ch.4:

. . . 充電器が
    施設が . . .
    目玉 . . . があ

And I'm not convinced that the 目玉 in this context is supposed to mean "eyeball" or "scolding", which is what all the dictionary said and I don't get anything else other than those two definitions. So, I think I need some help with this before I make any silly guess and screwed up my Embalming translation again. Is it means something like . . . treasure? Possession? I'm not sure, but I'm just guessing it at the context of not only this part but another part where I found while reading Tegami Bachi:

この[獣]は次の興行の目玉なんだ!!

I seriously don't think it can mean either of the two definition I found in the dictionaries in either the these two context. So, I'm just curious as to whether there is any other meaning of 目玉. As I said, I want to get the translation out to be as correct as possible before the RAW comes out, so it doesn't affect the scanlator who wants to use it.

Thank you in advance for helping. ^_^"

EDIT: Solved.
    Last edited by Ju-da-su; March 12, 2008 at 04:52 AM.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member niphredil's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 目玉 (Need a bit of help before I screwed my trans again -*- )

For that part of TB, the context made it pretty clear that 目玉 was something like big attraction, maybe even big hit / main event, as part of a sideshow exhibit. Sorry I can't be more helpful on your particular q but would that bring it any closer to making some sense? I'm afraid I can't say much more because I don't know the context for Embalming ch4 :/

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it does make sense . . . *trying to think of a word*

Here is the image from Embalming (just in case someone might need it to get the picture ^_^"). So . . . something like . . . *can't think of an English word* . . . like, "exhibition"?

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shrimpy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately i dont think we can answer the question unless we read the entire chapter because, i'm just guessing here (i haven't been keeping up with embalming yet) - the frankensteins are rebuilt humans, right? that guy lost his laboratory or something like it. maybe he had an important part, in this case an eye, that he needed/was going to transplant, or something? hard to say

IF it was not a physical object, then...*perhaps* "my life's work!" although this would be highly questionable, i've never seen it used like that.
    Last edited by shrimpy; March 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Frankenstein, in Embalming's case, is the reanimated corpse with electrode somewhere on their body, so I don't think he really means the eye, since the corpse already got their eyes (like, the creator, Weiss, actually took the body when the person is either not dead yet or just died and just make a Frankenstein out of that. ^_^")

I'm not good at summarizing things, and I'm not sure if it will help or not, but . . .

Spoiler show

So, that's why I guess that he says something like "my treasure" (the research) or "my dream" from the context. But I'm just afraid that it won't be correct if I just guess. -*-

EDIT: OK, I got it now. Thanks for anyone who replied anyway. ^_^"
    Last edited by Ju-da-su; March 12, 2008 at 04:52 AM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shurou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Happened to stumble upon this thread... I know it's long over, but in case you didn't get what I got (and since this is only gonna take me like 2 minutes :P), here's the deal:

目玉, in fact, SHOULD be translated as "eyeballs", or, to make it sound a bit less disgusting, simply "eyes". This is because when the dude wanted to turn the girl into a frankenstein, he kept his real daughter's eyes/eyeballs because that was the one and only difference between his daughter and Edel. And since the old man wanted to bring back his daughter just the way she was, he would of course be anal about the eyes.

Conclusion: You were right the very first time around

New Reply