Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best female character in Gantz

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Avishek's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Best female character in Gantz

Now that we're coming to the end of Gantz, and with most female leads dead or not involved in the final battle, I want to reminisce.

Who was the best female character in the manga?

And what was her shining moment?

Please discuss
    Reading is a good habit.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Coolperson1145's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best female character in Gantz

Sadly one of the weak points for this manga, it has no strong female characters. In fact, just about all the girls were used for fanservice but some of them stand out and have some personality at least. Reika by far being the most developed and really just the best female character in the cast. I say her shining moments were having some good leadership in the Osaka mission and I wish she had more moments like that.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda disagree. There are several strong female characters in the series. Sei, Reika, Tae (not physically, obviously). Tonkotsu as well.

Kind of overshadowed by BULLSHIT (Kishimoto/Anzu) but there it is.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member A_N_G_E_L's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate how all the girls in that manga get overly obsessed over a guy. It feels like the female characters are just there for the male audience and characters. I had some hope for Mary, but then she fell for Kaze. If Sei would not be so easy and fall in love to some teenage dude, she would be awesome too! Also would like Reika a lot more if she didn't fall for Kurono. Katou's fangirls are the worst!>.<
    Definitely one of the main things I hate in Gantz!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

The best female character...ahmm...overall...Tae?

Can't deny Reika was developed...let's say she wasn't that bad until the Rome mission but when she made that other Kei all her development went to the toilet, it was that terrible.

Oh wait...that woman who gave Tae that shirt in the alien ship!! Yes! that is the best female character of all GANTZ!...too bad she was killed. Or maybe that girl who was defending Kei when he decided to go back to the ship and leave all that naked people in the streets.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Eksh's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see

Kishi - Was ok. Too naive imo, but helped with the plot
    Lara Croft - Liked her. She felt more "fitting" to world of Gantz - Not naive as Kishi (As weve seen a few panels since she joined) and she was pretty strong. Felt bad when she died and hoped she'll revive
    Reika - Overall a decent character as well, and an interesting addition, seeing that she is a super famous super model. Didn't like her whole act with Kei2, though
    Tae - She was a great plot device, making Kei's character progress and show other sides and was a great part of the plot (And a vital part of the plot when she was a mission target herself) A saga which I really liked. Problem is, in the current saga, she is, in my honest opinion trash. Doing nothing much beside crying and calling Kei's name, giving us same actions with Kei himself (I can expect it from Tae, but I won't accept a behavior like that from the fucking main character). Not to mention making Nishi die (Nishi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tae). So she did pretty good (not by herself, but what she made Kei do) But eventually turned to nothing to an annoying character

Imo - Lara wins

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Avishek's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Sei was also one of my favourite characters in both the anime and manga. But her continuous fliriting with Kei made me believe that she may just fill the void that Tae did later on. As she felt more suited to Gantz, way more than most of the others, I was at first horrified that she died and later on just disappointed. Seing Kei and Sei take on the aliens would have made my day as would have been more believable. Instead I got treated to Kei crying out Tae's name and vice versa.
    Reading is a good habit.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna say Reika XD Probs cause she is a celeb and fall for the protagonist lol.
    Her shinning moment was the Oni mission, the fight with the shape shifter and saving Inaba was pretty cool.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Reika, even if she later became too obsessed with Kurono. The entire Kei 2 part was just more on that obsession, but she was still a good team member after reviving him. i.e, reviving kurono again was stupidly selfish, but it was her ONE bad thing in the entire story, and if gantz had been functioning normally, the old man would have been revived instead. But really, if the person you love has told you that if he didn't have a girlfriend already he'd go out with you, and you had Reika's chance, I can see many people doing it, to hell with the ethics of it. For me her best moment would probably be during the beginning of the oni mission (her team lacks the balls to do any fighting, she still manages to clear the entire room of aliens. Sadly, off-screen).

As for other girls in the series:

-Tae was ok because she helped kurono's character development, but she became pretty annoying by having an obvious character shield during the entire katastrophe arc (her survival here was way too unbelievable)
    -Sei/lara croft totally falling in love with kurono after having just met him sort of made her pretty lame. She was an alright gantzer though
    -Kishimoto: she was too much of a bitch to Kurono and too much into Katou. Kei 2 had a similar situation to her, and he wasn't so annoying, although I guess talking to Kei 1 helped him.
    -Anzu: starts alright, but then sacrifices herself to save katou even if she has A 3 YEAR OLD SON. Really, girl? Her contribution to catastrophe hasn't reall been that great either.
    -The rest (tonkotsu, izumi's girlfriend, ryou's girlfriend whom kurono had a crush on back in the day): All of them are pretty much there only as part of the guy they are dating's character development. Tonkotsu at least acts as a moral guide of sorts and is given a personality

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think her obsession or whatever you want to call it with Kurono added to her character.

Tonkotsu was pretty interesting. Shame they didn't explore that relationship a bit more.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Coolperson1145's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    I think her obsession or whatever you want to call it with Kurono added to her character.

Tonkotsu was pretty interesting. Shame they didn't explore that relationship a bit more.
    Crap, how did I forget Tonkotsu?! I change my mind, I think she's actually the best female character. She may not have been a Gantzer but she added so much to Cherry's development in a positive way. I felt sad when she was killed off so early though it played into Cherry's last arc(which I honestly think was the best part of the Katastrophe arc.)

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to Cherry + Tonkotsu really should have happened to Tae imo. It's fine that she happened to survive everything (more or less) as I was reading through it because it seemed like Kei would never find her. I mean seriously, she was driven away in a flying spaceship to a completely unknown apartment building, all the while Kei was making very tough decisions to stop and help out strangers. They should not have found each other.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, come on, kei and tae finding each other is about as close to a happy ending as gantz can deliver (and in the next minutes, kei is teleported away from her again, Classic gantz trolling at its finest ).

As for Reika, I think what she did was alright considering the way she had been shown and it indeed added to her character. it just didn't put her in a nicer light, which is how characters in this show had been evolving. Then again, Sakurai sort of evolved into a way darker character by the end of the story as well. To be honest I think Tonkotsu deserved better. But this story is just that mean. I sort of find funny the rants about George RR Martin (writer of a song of ice and fire/Game of thrones) and how he kills off all of your favorite characters by thinking "oh come on, you obviously never read gantz"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member A_N_G_E_L's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost forgot Kill Bill! Really liked her! Good looking, a great fighter, not annoying and stupid! Even though I don't care for the Vampires(hate the whole Vampire concept!), I like that the relationship between her and Hikawa was not one of those flashing in-your-face-lovey dovey relationships. They liked each other but didn't really show it.
    In that case I would say Kill Bill is my favourite girl!

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Great fighter? She lost her only fight! lol

still a pretty interesting character. mysterious as fuck the way HS somehow brainwashed her after stealing her away from Kurono's brother.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast