Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Monster

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Kusako View Post
    Monster is monstrously lovely......art repeating though...just like 20th Boys and 21th boys...and now Billy Bat...no original
    It's true that character designs are often repeated in Urasawa's work. However, his art style changes subtly from series to series. Monster's style is different from 20th Century Boys style which itself differs from Pluto' style. I can understand how some people might find that a negative. For me, the locations are rendered so well that it makes up for character repetitions. And Urasawa's emulation of western fairy-tale art styles is rather impressive.

That said, Monster's strengths lie in its thematic exploration and masterful plotting. Urasawa creates suspense and terror that doesn't force you to jump out of your seat as if you were watching a scary movie. His brand of terror creeps into your mind and soul long after you've witnessed the twists and makes you question humanity and the nature of evil. I probably should have explained that distinction in the review I wrote.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Monster

I agree as well with what has been said before me...not Tamotsu, lol...

But the fact that the art doesn't change...of course this doesn't warrant a low mark on art per this manga, but I think that sometimes this repetitive style can be spotted amongst characters from the same manga...there are many characters in Monster that just look alike...with that said...

^^I agree with blackjack612 as well...the strength of the story is the careful plot construction and suspense...

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2