Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Martial Arts thread

Schrödinger's cat 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anax's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Martial Arts Thread

Tae-Kwon-Do (ITF) for 2 years, though I also attended two seminars, so by the time I stopped/quit I was at half red belt. I'm really out of practise, though Tae-Kwon-Do is purely Taijutsu, thus not what I was looking for anyway. Still, I'm not the person to be involved in fights.

@ Bibichan

When my father was in Uni he was trained unofficially by one of those kung fu sensei's you have to seek (of course he was merely taught 5%-10% of what the sensei's son and daughter knew, but that's another story). He often told me (and still does) that the key in kung fu is to kill your opponent with as less strikes as possible, as quickly as possible, perfection being an one-hit-kill. He told me that his sensei had received the training army generals receive, to be able to survive assasination attempts. He even had a vast knowledge of poisons... Anyway, you make it seem that Ninjutsu is somewhat like that (whereas Ninpo is not, at least according to Shoto Tanemura's book that I've read). So, is it? And what do you think is the use of such a martial art nowadays?

@ Iluvatar

Actually it's not a katana, unless you mean it in the general "sword" way. My sword is a tachi. I'd like to have a Katana too and feel the difference in weight and length. In Kavala there's an Iaido school (opened recently) and I think a Kendo school. What do you say, do we join together?
    ~Schrödinger's Cat

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bibichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anax
    Anyway, you make it seem that Ninjutsu is somewhat like that (whereas Ninpo is not, at least according to Shoto Tanemura's book that I've read). So, is it?
    Most of the techniques I have come across so far do not allow a second attack by the attacker. You have to consider that the jutsus orginate from the techniques used by ninjas back in the days. They had to be efficient to carry out their missions.
    In contrast to martial arts like Karate or Judo, Ninjutsu does not have tournaments, because
    a) it's about mastering your own life, not the martial art
    b) it's based on every day life.
    There is no second place in a real fight. When you're being attacked, maybe even with more than one opponent, you can't afford to have the opponent stand up again.
    My senseis also always tell us to get the hell out of there, if he happen to be in a real fight, especially when there are multiple opponents.
    From what I know about Tanemura, he used to be part of Bujinkan, but he left it to teach a whole range of martial arts in his own dojo, but I may be wrong.

Quote Quote:
    And what do you think is the use of such a martial art nowadays?
    I can only speak for Ninjutsu. It's supposed to help you master your life by gaining confidence in your own abilities. Actually, that's what's it about.
    When you know what to do to defend yourself in a fight, you make a more confident impression and you're less likely to be attacked. Still, running around attacking people just because you can, because you're learning martial arts is NOT the way it's supposed to be.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done Tae Kwon Do for about one year and half, my favorite was sparring, i have won couple medal from tournments at my school had hosted

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member okyatoks's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I read about Master Hatsumi's work in a book by Stephen Hayes. I really wanted to join the dojo but I'm afraid I'm miles away...way, way far away from the place, even it's affiliates.

at most, I could only see him and his school from afar:

http://www.nybujinkan.com/hatsumi.php
    http://www.bujinkan.co.za/H3.html
    http://www.bujinkan.com/index.html

well, that's life.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got five years of karate wado-ryu behind me, and I'm in my second year for kung-fu wushu.
    Had some judo as a kid, but no memories now, except for I was really bad at it ! (as heavy as a shrimp !)
    I'm happy to see there's some amazing martial arts experience here ! Even if here is everywhere !
    Need for heat ?

Post Thanks / Like

I boxed for 4 years, and attended my uncles Shotokan karate dojo every other summer when I visited California. As for boxing, I believe anyone can do it, so saying you can do it is no big deal because whateva', but I've trained under Emanuel Stewart himself; and for those who don't know, he's trained 2 heavy-weight champions and countless other famous boxers. He has a gym in the middle of Detroit, MI. called Kronks Boxing Gym. He's a really goofy old man. But tough to please for sure.

Anyway, Kronks has closed actually this February, Emanuel wanted to retire and he donated the Gym to the goverment which turned it into a rec-center for a a couple months but then decided to close it to renovate it into a Library. Sad, really....

I have a 75lbs. boxing bag, speed bag, and jump ropes at home so I like to train a bit a few times a week, and I workout a few hours a day, 5 days a week at another Gym i'm a member at: Lifetime Fitness.
    YATTA!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member white silver's Avatar
    In an island at the center of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

[font=tahoma][color=green]Wing Chun, although I haven't practiced for a very long time, I began taking lessons again, this time with some grappling, and other street self defence techniques

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member eQuek's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

3 years of aikido and about a year of kung-fu
    I quit aikido because we never did anything new and kung-fu because I got bored :/

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

i have practiced Bujinkan for about three years too, my grade is 6th kyu
    but as Bibichan wrote earlier it's not about the grade's personally i think it's about, but the feeling,
    calmness or the amount of controll you have over your opponent.
    That is what bujinkan is for me anyways, controll and also as great-master hatsumi said "bujinkan is the martial art of distance".

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ninjutsu on and off since I was ten and kickboxing for about 9 months.
    <br /><br />&quot;I&#039;m not bad, I&#039;m just drawn that way!&quot;

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Martial Arts!

Do you practice martial arts? Talk about Styles, weapons, Ranks, or favorite Martial Arts Practitioners.

Personally, I have a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I've also Studied Karate, Jujutsu, Kung Fu and Boxing. My preferred martial arts weapons are Nunchucka. I'm also a big fan of Japanese swords and I hope to study Kendo when I go to Japan next semmester.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Martial Arts!

I have a black belt in runkido. It's an ancient form of martial art. When u see the enemy, u start taking faster steps. If the opponent gets closer, u concentrate on your strength while thinking: "Run, kiddo!" And so you ran...

Just kidding, I used to study aikido for several years. Nowadays I practice martial arts using joysticks.

Post Thanks / Like

Wushu for acrobatics as i am a street tricker (Matrix kinda stuff flips, kicks etc) and an acrobat so it helps alot.
    Tai Chi to help with my Qi and Qigoong
    Kung Fu for an understanding in old martialarts
    kick boxing and Muai Thai for practical street fighting
    thats all the martialarts im doing at the moment used to do tae kwon do a while back and absaloutly hate karate.
    Sorry :S

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member lee-nus's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I have a black belt in runkido. It's an ancient form of martial art. When u see the enemy, u start taking faster steps. If the opponent gets closer, u concentrate on your strength while thinking: "Run, kiddo!" And so you ran...
    funny you should say that, as 'runk' or 'runka' means 'to jack off' in swedish... so what you're practicing is nothing other than "the way of the masturbating hand" or something! xDxD[br]Posted on: June 20, 2006, 03:52:35 AM_________________________________________________Daioten: when i lived in japan (moved home to sweden, three months ago) i practiced kendo.
    other than that, im a black belt hapkido instructor, and i've participated in the haidong gumdo world championships... sorry, couldnt resist... but it IS true...
    my favorite weapons to practice with are bo, nunchaku and whatever japanese swords i come across...

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

my absolute fave is the tai chi sword

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast