Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: BioMeat Nectar

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

BioMeat Nectar

Title: Bio-Meat: Nectar
    Genres: Shonen, Horror Survival
    Author: Fujisawa Yuki
    Artist: Fujisawa Yuki
    Publication: Originally published by Akita Shoten
    Start Date: 2000
    End Date:
    Number of chapters at review: Completed; 12 volumes
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 43 Chapters

General Overview:
    In order to solve the world food crisis and handle the problem of waste, a new creature was biologically engineered to resolve such crisis called Bio-Meat or BM. With its' ability to self-replicate quickly and endlessly devour almost anything, will BM live up to the hopes of mankind or spell doom?

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 6
    The art isn't terribly bad nor is it terribly good either. It's something that could be looked over. Personally, I'm neutral about it so it would've gotten a "5," but the BM are such cute suckers that it bumped up the score to "6." The layout is pretty simple so there isn't any confusion when reading it.

Plot: 8
    So far, the plot has been pretty straight forward but it keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. Personally, I can't wait for what's going to happen next. Though the plot is pretty simple, it doesn't stray too much away from the main point of the story which is trying to survive.

Characters: 5
    No real depth to the characters other than a little background building. Since this is a survival horror, that could be forgiven because the main focus is about surviving. So far, it's still hard for me to accept the unlikely characters as who they are because of their maturity levels and uniqueness.

Theme: 10
    It's a pretty interesting theme. It's basically an eat or be eaten one. Unlike other survival horrors where something super-natural is involved (typically undead creatures), BM are man-made creatures. Herald as a scientific achievement, BM both serve as a food source and a waste disposer. But unlike other animals, BM are truly dumb animals. They lack any intellectual sense and only thrive on their most instinctive trait which is the instinctive desire to find and eat food.

Originality: 9
    For the most part, it's very original with the exception that Japan is the center of it all again. Unlikely survivors coupled with instinctive cute creatures makes BM an interesting read for the most part.

Overall: 9

I recommend this manga to everyone. As for survival horror genre, it's been over-done plenty of times with the super natural. Of course BioMeat Nectar could be called a Sci-Fi survival horror or whatever a person wants.

In reality, there are food shortages in certain parts of the world and there are problems with proper waste disposal which needs to be solved. BM seems to be a sarcastic work in it which relates to mankind and mankind's improper use of science in trying to solve issues, expensively, which could on the other hand be solved by genuine aid and the endowment of knowledge. Instead, mankind has created a creature that would allow mankind to continue living their current luxurious life style. Even scarier, the mass populace don't even know what they are truly eating when they eat BM eat.

Will do. I'll get the pictures as soon as possible and thanks. Did you wanted me to add these pictures at the bottom? Also, I hope they are within regulations.

For pictures on what the Manga looks like:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by njt; March 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BioMeat Nectar

Hmm sounds interesting but I'm a bit torn by the art work
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My first opinion of the art wasn't too well thought of, but don't let the art get to ya. The only thing that's the real killer would be the old ladies which are just terrible ugly and the old weirdos.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nappo-san's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this manga! The only thing that bugs me is the art. -__-

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fugitive's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!
    This is a good read. I'm just starting volume 4. The art doesn't bother me at all. Sure, I've seen better, but it's not so terrible that it detracts from the story.

Also, thanks to SnoopyCool for releasing this.
    http://www.snoopycool.com

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting. never heard of it before. Is this something close to battle royale ?

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fugitive's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Sounds interesting. never heard of it before. Is this something close to battle royale ?
    Survival and graphic deaths are the only things that I see that it has similar to Battle Royale. It's mostly focused on people running away from and being killed by creatures. Though I wouldn't say it's your run of the mill monster horror.

Give the first volume a read to see if you'll like it.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried, I hate . It didn't do it for me, no real defaults but it's simply just not for me ... I confirm that graphics are not as bad as expected.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply