Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The Getting in Shape Thread

Okay, I think we could use a thread like this: especially all us otakus and fujoshis who barely do much else but read manga and watch anime, hang out on IRC, and eat chips and ice cream for dinner at home. Even if it hasn't happened to you yet, it could happen that you start to feel your body getting a little more vulnerable to illness, weight gain, and so forth, so...

First, I'd like to go over some things though:

Spoiler: Disclaimer, Should Everybody Be Thin...? No! Main point is to stay healthy. show

Anyway, back to this thread. I'm 27 going on 28 now, and I've never considered myself to be very out of shape - the most weight I've gained has been 240 pounds (109 kg) and I'm usually around 210-220 pounds (95 kg-100 kg) - though I was 200 pounds (91 kg) when we started MH, oh well - because I've played sports and worked out and used to exercise routinely in my life. However since age 25, I'm finding that my body has been starting to change for the worse, as in, I think, feeling older, muscles not as responsive, having less energy, weight starting to be much tougher to lose, and I've never been as sick and depressed as much as I have been the last two years.

So I've been trying to change the way I think about food, too, and I've been dieting and trying to change my lifestyle for the last two years, but I've never been able to stay with any particular plan. I'm too spontaneous, I think, and I become too bored with any one routine if I stay with it too long. So I'll admit it: I'm making this thread for a purely selfish reason but I think it could help other people as well. I'd like suggestions as far as:

1) What healthy, good food could help. Throw all the suggestions you can in here!
    2) More suggestions for exercise routines (preferably without having to order exercise equipment, I can't really afford the expensive kind, and I doubt most of us here can)
    3) Different ways to stay healthy
    4) How you stay in shape if you don't mind revealing your secrets. (As long as it's not sex-related =P )

And if you're also somebody who has a problem staying in shape nowadays, feel free to talk a little about yourself and what you think you're going to have to do, and to come here to ask for help, of course.
    Last edited by Gold Knight; March 25, 2008 at 09:58 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member thegreatest08's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Try to eat healthy stuff, ie Banana, sugar (just joking), apple (apple a day keeps a man healthy....something like tat). DONT EAT FATTY STUFF!!!

Not sure if this helps: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/754357...n_12_weeks_we/

Try to have a Jog in the morning.
    Try to play sum soccer or sumthing.
    Last edited by thegreatest08; March 17, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Credit Goes to Akasunanosasori!!!

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well... i think you've encountered some of my posts about that particular topic, GK. all over MH, at random moments. I have reduced the stuff I eat, surprisingly realizing that if I pay attention to what my stomach is telling me, it gets full easily, I just don't like to listen before.

to answer your first concern, should anyone be thin, not necessarily, but there are health concerns. Being overweight causes trouble physically. And it feels better (not just mentally and emotionally) to be fit, breathing healthy, being able to move about more efficiently, etc.

I for one, don't really care about how people should see me. Except the fact that when I grow fat i don't fit into my clothes anymore, and that's a problem economically Especially when it gets harder to shop for clothes. But, I want to work out because 1) I need the cardiovascular training for my singing. That's really my no. 1 reason. 2) I had been having breathing problems lately, that I understood to be because of my inactivity, 3) I am very weak and easily tire which I know is a sign that I'm not healthy, 4) i don't wanna look like some of my aunts and uncles when I grow old. -_-

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Emily00's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I head out to my class I'll throw some things of mine in here.. make sure you eat lots of small meals throughout the day rather than 2-3 big meals, try to do about 4-6 small to medium meals. Also if you're not very healthy or pretty overweight and you're just starting to do exercise or cardio, rather than going straight to the treadmill you should start with a spin bike or a recumbent bike because in the end you'll just hurt yourself starting out with walking/running on a treadmill.

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my brother, who is a medicine student about this too.

This is his answer, the best way to avoid gaining weight is to not eat any carbohydrate late at night. Preferably no carbs after 7 or 8pm

Reason for this is that carbs take a long time to process. So unprocessed carbs will just go to your fat. That's a big no no.

So next time for dinner, eat some fish, chicken, nuts (they don't have lots of carbs but they are filling), and drink lots of water.

Water has ZERO calories and it is one of the best appetite suppressant. Drink lots of water before taking any meal. That way, you will not be able to eat a lot. Plus, water helps clean up the toxic in your body, keeping you healthy and slim.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'll share my story, as I learned a very important lesson from it: we don't need as much food as we think we do, even if we're exercising and we don’t need to spend money or do anything extraordinary to lose weight.

* at this point I’d just like to say this is just my opinion based on what happened to me; I’m no doctor and I’m not preaching.

As you know GK, I'm from Australia and, like America, we're a fast food car culture. To give you an idea of how much I *didn't* exercise, I wouldn't even venture down my front steps to go check the mail. What would I do instead? I'd pull my car into the driveway, stop the car past the letter box, wind down the window and check it from the driver's seat! How lazy is that?

I was overweight from about the age of 23 to 27. Yet I didn't live off junk food, or guzzle take-away, or eat whole tubs of ice-cream and the like. I ate a variety of food that you'd deem nutritious. My problem was that I
    • ate too much
    • too often
    • and did very little physical activity

When I eventually moved to the UK to live, initial poverty and lack of a car forced me into a very different lifestyle and adopting a very different attitude to food, which I retain today.

I walked absolutely everywhere, and covered considerable distances (say, up to 1 hour a day), whilst pretty much surviving off essentials such as bread and basic fruit and veg.

I ate no meat, deserts or pre-prepared food because those were expensive.

I literally ate:
    • bread (white, although these days I prefer wholegrain just for taste)
    • pasta (white)
    • milk (full fat)
    • cheese (full fat)
    • tinned tuna
    • tinned kidney beans
    • apples and pears
    • carrots, zucchini and broccoli

Those were the cheapest items on offer and that was my weekly food budget gone right there.

Because I had so little money, I had to ration my weekly shop, so of course, the portion sizes were teeny (well, to my mind they were teeny since I was going to bed hungry; I have since come to realise those portion sizes were actually appropriate and it was just my body adjusting).

Eating those foods and walking up to 1 hour a day, I lost a whopping 15kg in just 2 months without even thinking about it. One cold day I put on my Aussie-sized-jeans and they fell to my ankles. I couldn’t believe it.

How ironic too, that there I was doing more physical activity then I had in years, yet I was eating less then I had in years. But I felt great! I had loads of energy, my skin and hair improved and hey, I lost a truckload of weight! And what had I done for it?

Nothing extraordinary.

I hadn’t spent hours at the gym, or gone on a celebrity diet, or consumed copious diet shakes, or bought a plethora of exotic superfoods, or avoided carbs in favour of protein, or cut out fat altogether (in fact I still don't buy anything low fat, or diet). All I’d done was eat some healthy essentials three times a day and walked. A lot. At this point, I did invest in some reference books on the subject of health and tried to educate myself.

That brings me to the lesson I’ve learned resulting from my personal experience: as human beings, we don’t require that much fuel to function.

Our bodies are actually really bloody efficient, to my surprise. Unless you’re an athlete or a laborer, or exercising excessively, we really don’t require as much food as we think we do to function on an ordinary level (by ordinary, I mean our usual fairly sedentary lifestyle and yes, I count my 1 hour of walking a day as fairly sedentary. After all, our bodies are designed to endure much more than that). I still am genuinely surprised at how little I need to eat and still have tons of energy to get around and do things. **

Even during my pregnancy, the doctor told me I wouldn’t need to increase my overall food intake – only to continue eating healthily – and that I needed to increase my calorie intake in the third trimester by 300, which sounds like a lot, but is actually the equivalent to a piece of cheese and a glass of milk.

Obviously, I’m not as povo as I was back then and, I do indulge in the odd take-away and junk food now and then, and I now incorporate more in my daily diet, but you know what? Not that much more.

Anyway, I haven’t looked back. I never have put the weight back on, not in 7 years. Er...except for right now, being nine months pregnant.

So, what worked for me:
    • 3 square meals of ordinary food a day
    • smaller portion sizes
    • red meat kept to a minimum (instead I ate chicken and fish)
    • walking briskly up to an hour a day every day (weekends we used to travel and sight-see)

I found that the exercise really does have to be daily and it really does have to be up to an hour. Anything less never seemed to do much, for me anyway. But it was just walking. Nothing special.

** When I say 'little' I don't mean an apple and carrot stick a day. I just mean 3 sensible meals a day. Oh, and I don't have desert, unless it's honey on a piece of bread or a piece of fruit. I'd probably have desert once in a blue moon.

Well, I don't mean to preach, just saying what my personal experience has been.
    Last edited by kadoman; March 18, 2008 at 05:15 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

All I would recommend is to eat well, but exercise a lot too.

Eating well contributes to you actually having motivation to keep slim, because you know what you like, and know what is healthy and good for you, and also because you don't have to make yourself go on diets that restrict you to one certain thing or make you eat only one type of food, like the 'no carbohydates diet'.

Exercising is the best way to lose weight, in my opinion, but too much exercise, I think, would be bad for you. I would say a maximum of up to 2 hours flat out of pure exercise a day, probably a couple of days a week, anymore then that would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Leen
    Water has ZERO calories and it is one of the best appetite suppressant. Drink lots of water before taking any meal. That way, you will not be able to eat a lot. Plus, water helps clean up the toxic in your body, keeping you healthy and slim.
    Agree with you there Leen, water is probably the most essential thing to anyone who wants to keep in shape. It's also good for keeping your body hydrated, especially when you're doing a lot of exercise.

(About the diet thing, I actually haven't done any myself, I just know from watching TV. xD)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hollow Kurono's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok coach HK is here:

Do as i say,dont be lazy.You can eat,as long as you dont lay on you bed after that,every morning do some workouts,or go run in the park for an hour.The key to loose weight its not to be lazy.Not beeing lazy its what helping,i eat lots of stuff,but i workout everyday,cause i dont wanna be fat and other reasons.But the biggest key is not to be lazy.Get up at 8 in the morning,strech out.Run in the park,do some push ups,sit ups,lift some dumbells.Eat healthy,drink lots of milk to help your muscles,eat some curd in the morning for your bones.Or go watch "Rocky" that should motivate you.

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa...i just realise Kado's post is really inspirational.

Personally, as much as i believe that exercising does help to keep in shape, i don't do it due to lack of time and a otaku busy lifestyle. I basically eat normally, but watch my diet when i'm a bit over my normal weight. Once that happens, no oily food at night if possible.
    - Drink lots of chinese tea or tea without sugar and milk after any oily food intake to wash away excess oil.
    - No whipped cream with coffee or on cakes
    - Strictly no snacking.
    - Eat proper meals and no heavy dinner/supper after 10 p.m. (that will be when you put on weight the most)

Of course, there were certain periods in my life where i'll treat food as enemies and fussed that they taste horrible, and don't eat at all. That is quite efficient in losing weight, but i'll feel tired and listless throughout the day.

As for exercising, I know a lot of people believe in exercising to keep trim and build up muscles, but I have seem them putting on weight once they stop. Somehow, the muscles turn to fats and they look more 'meatier' than ever.

Besides this, appanrantly, running isn't a good exercise as many of us believe. If you are a regular runner, in the long run, when you grow old, running tends to give joints problems, the gum at your knee caps are worn out, and you'll suffer from pain. Doctors actually recommend swimming as the best way to keep fit and trim.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts..though i have to admit, the lack of exercise makes even climbing a flight of steps tedious for me

▲Away till end June. ▲

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i kinda have some attention disorder so i didn't read the whole post .. but i have some pretty good idea what you want to know..

Healthy food..... hmmm interesting.. you should try variety of food
    fruits---- if you afraid of them then when you thirsty instead of drinking water eat fruit instead like oranges, tangerines, watermelons, grapes, honeydew, etc...
    vegetables- you know sometimes food can be very dry and stuff.. if you not a big vegetables-fan then you should eat them as side disk along with really heavy flavor food (mainly salty) , try cucumber, tomatoes,... sometimes you could replace vegetables with fruit...

Don't eat too many heavy meals, eat many many more meals but much smaller...

take vitamins ...

if you a person who like to chew something all the time.. gums work just fine..

As for exercise...

well when i read eyeshield 21 .. i got a strange kind of energy .. .. use this with your favorite manga... like do simple 20 sit ups or push up or dumbbells or what ever you think of before reading a chapter.. you know..

I usually exercise before going to sleep and in the dark for relaxing reason... or when you wake up to wake you up... .. swimming really help in the summer..

DONT DIET... i sometimes eat like 2 days of food in one day.. and sometimes just forgot to eat in 2 days straight..

Eat slowly to enjoy your food but not too slow that the food got boring and warm...
    Boneless stuff is way too boring ... .. asian people like me have habit of gnawing on bone and finishing everything on their plate...

Anyway playing sport is good... but some athletes eat like no tomorrow for they have to maintain a certain weight or get big.. it crazy and i'm sure that ain't healthy...

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I realized my first post was rather too long so I decided to spoiler tag most of it. I didn't really want to come off as all preachy lol, but somehow I did.

Thanks all for the posts so far. I've been actively jogging lately and ... I haven't been able to knock off eating so much (usually I have two helpings at breakfast and dinner both, and I'm trying not to eat three big meals every day) but I've taken to eating more oatmeal and drinking more water lately. But I know I'll get sick of that eventually, so keep the suggestions coming

We might get a treadmill too in May. It gets kinda tedious having to walk/run on the same concrete roads every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nami
    As for exercising, I know a lot of people believe in exercising to keep trim and build up muscles, but I have seem them putting on weight once they stop. Somehow, the muscles turn to fats and they look more 'meatier' than ever.
    Unfortunately that's the big problem for me, heh. I was very active exercising and working out during my high school and early college years, and I built up a lot of muscle because of it. I never used to gain or lose weight either way no matter how much I ate - but now I do because I don't exercise nearly as much as I did, blah. But I guess it's no use looking back on that, and I'm happy to be a stronger, bigger guy anyway - but because of it, exercise is definitely a must for me.
    Last edited by Gold Knight; March 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this image put things into perspective for me:

My main problem has always been eating. Eating right requires a lot of work. To make a decent "healthy" meal, you've actually got to cook (if you want something palatable) or buy that premade health food crap that tastes like cardboard. Why go through all the work of making a healthy meal when you could just pop a hot pocket in the microwave, grab some fun size milky ways, and dump some Lucky Charms in a bowl with milk and BAM! you've got brunch.

So now what I'm doing is making my sack lunches (I refuse to eat the slop they call food that the mess hall is dishing out!) at the beginning of the week. This way I don't get lazy and pop in the hot pockets instead of eating something (somewhat) nutritious. And since I'm fat, I can eat about 3000 calories a day right now and still lose weight, so I shoot for about 800-1000 calories a meal. I've found it's more important to watch fat than calories anyway.

EDIT:
    For a good place to count calories, go here. It's the USDA MyPyramid site, and it helps you count food intake and energy used during exercise. It's kid friendly and government approved!
    Last edited by mrcongojack; April 06, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post

This is his answer, the best way to avoid gaining weight is to not eat any carbohydrate late at night. Preferably no carbs after 7 or 8pm

Reason for this is that carbs take a long time to process. So unprocessed carbs will just go to your fat. That's a big no no.
    Yes, I have heard that elsewhere too. It's better to stop eating carbohydrate after 7 or 8 pm

a question: does beer contain carbohydrate?

I think some sports, even if it's a walk can do great things too together with a healthy and a regular dinners
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wonder why most of the people who wrote to this thread are Americans.....

When I think about America, I always think of fast food. And fat people. Yay America, this is how we think about you (not everyone in here, but me and my friends).

I would say, the best way to stay thin is eat only as much as you use. I mean, why do people anyway eat more? Huh? I actually never go outside, I just spend all my spare time in internet. And guess what? I'm not fat. Thats only because I don't eat lot. Maybe once or twice in a day.

And there is another way to stay thin too. Eat well, but eat always at the same time of the day.
    Last edited by Punky fish; April 07, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
    You really think they like to rock in the space? Well I don't know.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post

so I guess that's bye bye to Italian restaurant dinners

Quote Quote:
    So next time for dinner, eat some fish, chicken, nuts (they don't have lots of carbs but they are filling), and drink lots of water.

OMG! that's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

oh yeah, I'd like to add that keeping healthy is just as much as a mental challenge, as it is a physical one. The problem for me has always been the mental part, even before I even get to the physical aspect.

Is there any tips of how to mentally commit to staying healthy? and then to stick with it without giving up mentally?

New Reply
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast