Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Truefan21's Avatar
    Looking over Sasuke's gravestone with joy
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Are push ups effective in getting your body in shape?
    For those who thank forums are for praise and worship think again http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=157

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Truefan21 View Post
    Are push ups effective in getting your body in shape?
    Yes they are. Pushups cant be used in variety of manners, effecting in different parts of the bodies. For example, if you place you hands close together, a good exercise for your back and your triceps.

By the way, started some push ups, skipping rope, some crunches, some barbells, etc.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    Yes they are. Pushups cant be used in variety of manners, effecting in different parts of the bodies. For example, if you place you hands close together, a good exercise for your back and your triceps.

By the way, started some push ups, skipping rope, some crunches, some barbells, etc.
    Yea push ups can really do a lot. I've even got some push up bars which allow me to go deeper into my push up making it even more effective. Plus the bars help me with the angling of my hands as you mentioned which makes getting doing those variations of push ups easier to do and more effective. It goes to show what two simple bars can do to make an already simple and effective work out even more effective .

I have a jump rope and I love doing that as well! I used to do it in my high school gym and actually got pretty good at it. I was kinda a freak of nature because I was such a big dude and yet I could jump rope like a fairy . The problem is now that I really don't have a place to do it in my house because the ceilings are too low and I really don't want to go outside where everyone can seem me jumping rope . I wish I had a solution to that issue because it really is a great work out .

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I have those bars as well. By using them, a considerable force is exerted on upper body, mainly on chest portion.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only that but push ups work your triceps as well and I feel that even more with the bars. Because you end up going deeper into the push up and have more room allowing you to dip farther than you would while just doing regular push ups on the floor, you need to use your triceps more, and your arms in general just to stabilize your self so you don't fall over. In the end I am a man who loves benching but man the push up bars really make my chest burn .
    Last edited by Arrogance; July 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, push up bars are really useful to work on your muscles. To build up the upper part of the body is the most useful thing))

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

you guys should try burpees then. push-ups is just a component of it, and it's a full body workout that doesn't need any equipment and too much space hence the nickname "prison workout".

It gives good results, just needs 100% commitment to stick to it. You can search the stuff on the net and on youtube.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I have a topic for discussion and I'm curious if anyone else has faced a similar problem as I have. I've been weight lifting for many years now. Farthest back I could remember was me messing around with play weights when I was little this way I felt involved while my dad would be working out. I'm pretty experienced with it all and honestly could give some good tips but the one problem I've always had that doesn't seem to go away is the difference in size from my right to my left arm. My question for discussion is if anyone else has had the same problem. That no matter what they do one bicep and/or tricep on one arm ends up being smaller in size to your stronger more dominant arm (in my case the right). I've tried many things. I tried more weight for my left arm to try and get it stronger if I'm curling, and that didn't work. Right now what I do is I keep trying to do more reps with my left arm every work out and its the best results I've had yet they are not the ones I want. My left arm will always be weaker than my right and I know that but I don't want it to be noticeable . Especially when your packing on body mass, the small imperfections become more noticeable. What I'm looking for is to at least get my left bicep CLOSER to being the size of my right this way it isn't that noticeable of a difference at first glance. Any suggestions and anyone else who would like to share their stories, I'm all ears. Even if your surprised and never had that problem or heard of it then tell me your secret why you never had it . Thanks for listening to my rant .
    Last edited by Arrogance; July 17, 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same problem and I'm also right dominant so when I heavily worked out a couple of years back while still playing Ice-hockey, I always added 10% additional weights on my left arm and then I did 25% more reps. Of course not when I'm maxing, but when I'm doing additional normal work-out with, for example, 53lbs dumbbells on left, 59.5 on my left. 20reps on right, 25 on left. That worked really well but it took time. It took about a year until they were even, and even so, I had to have more weights/more reps on my left arm to prevent it for happening again.

I've taken a year off from heavy work-outs, only been running 7.5kms twice a week regularly but I'm going back this autumn to my old routine (slowly ofc) with first month working out twice a week, running twice, and then 2nd month working out four times a week, running twice but there's something I'm kinda interested in that baboysai mentioned above; durpees. How do they work, really? Full body work-out? If I understand it right it strains your legs, bi/tri and breast, right? Or does it include trapezius and/or thorax? Just curious because I wanna start with some outdoor work-out (without any real equipment) like this, this normal sit-ups etc.

Oh, and also, LOVE THIS VIDEO <-- A dog doing squats with its owner xD
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Blai. Yes your last line about having to keep adding more weights and more reps is true in that it shows its a constant struggle trying to keep your left arm up to your right arm in size (or vice versa). Like there are times my left arm feels great and it looks closer and then there are days it doesn't. So its one of those things that has always bothered me because its an always changing thing. Plus if your active one day like playing sports that require you to use your dominant arm more then that gives that arm an advantage over your less dominant one. So what is the answer? Not to go play sports this way your arm stays the same? Of course not, its inevitable as a said early that one arm will be bigger and stronger than the other but my goal is to at least get them close to each other. Its a constant effort you gotta give and I thank you for the input Blai

O another thing is that if you could imagine how annoyed I must be with my biceps, my legs were the same way after I tore my ACL and Meniscus in high school while playing American Football. Because my leg was injured so long, and because I had to compensate a lot wit my right leg, to this day my right leg is noticeable bigger than my left . Over the years since the injury and the surgery though my left leg has returned to standard size, my right leg still has an advantage in strength and stability since it was never faced with injury and surgery but I don't have too much of a problem anymore. It was just funny that way back when there was actually a noticeable different in mass on each leg lol. Thanks everyone for listening to my rant.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

A-ha ha ha ha ha *frown*

I was out running today and my god I'm not really in such good condition as I thought. Did some nice work-out too and I guess I'll be back in my "old" me in ~4months.
    *pant pant*
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can run for fun like when I'm playing sports or something, but ever since my injury I lost all the stamina I once had. I can run but not long distances and if I run for a while I'll be out of breathe easily. Its not even about my leg hurting, because it doesn't when i run, its just that I that whole year without being able to be as active as I was set me far back in terms of my bodies metabolism and respiration. I moved on from the running for now and am just sticking to the weight lifting. If I had a bike I would substitute my lack of running with bike riding this way I'd get something in, but I have other financial things to worry about and I need to get a car first before I can spend on the luxury of a bike. Plus running isn't as appealing to me as weight lifting and bike riding so its a harder thing for me to push myself to do because I'm not a fan of doing it. In order for me to run I would need to be happy and motivated to do it and that I'm just not there in regards to it.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I've always had that doesn't seem to go away is the difference in size from my right to my left arm. My question for discussion is if anyone else has had the same problem. That no matter what they do one bicep and/or tricep on one arm ends up being smaller in size to your stronger more dominant arm (in my case the right). I've tried many things. I tried more weight for my left arm to try and get it stronger if I'm curling, and that didn't work. Right now what I do is I keep trying to do more reps with my left arm every work out and its the best results I've had yet they are not the ones I want. My left arm will always be weaker than my right and I know that but I don't want it to be noticeable.
    Yes, I have the same problem. The difference is that I'm right-handed, but my left arm is fisically more developed and has practically half bigger bicep. And nothing can change it)) Not even the hard training. I'm thinking now that it is a fisical speciality of a body. And I have the same with the whole body. The left part has more muscle mass than the right.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, just a random thing but

apparently coconut water contains more electrolytes than most sports drinks and has higher potassium than banana, so it is better if you drink this while working out.

19. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Truefan21's Avatar
    Looking over Sasuke's gravestone with joy
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

so which is better bench press or push ups
    For those who thank forums are for praise and worship think again http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=157

New Reply
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast