Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Your still gonna give up . There is no way your surviving one of those when there is no one forcing you to do it. See the most intense work outs I've done were conditioning for footbal and then the coaches would be looming over you which forced you to get through it or else you'd be in trouble. When you have a man on your TV telling you to do it its not the same motivation factor or fear if you will to keep doing it. He's not gonna know if you go to your fridge to grab a beer or not . A coach on the other hand would .

Well have fun and good luck, try not to die even though you will .

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I know. Well, I won't give up. I'm a masochist in that way; I love to work out until it hurts. Simple as that. If I run, then I run until either my calves are hurting or something else happens which forces me to stop. Basically; I exercise until my body tells me to stop. It's something I've had with me since I was working out with my icehockey team. If I wouldn't have loved it, I'd had nightmares. 1 hour cardio, 90mins on the ice, then 90mins cardio, with an old man standing in front of you, screaming how lousy you are if you can't complete the exercise.

In this case, I'm going to be my own coach, my own motivator and my own "threat".

I don't care how extreme or "insane" it is. If I start it I have to go through it or I can never live with myself. I'm confident I won't do the same amount of reps and as intense as they do, and I'm confident I won't be able to do that the 2nd time I go through it, but I'll definitely improve my body and that's the important thing.

You'll see. I'll upload a before picture on MH in my thread and then I'll put a pic every 14th day or something.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually my physical shape was really bad for a long time. I had an auto immune disease attacking the muscles when I was ten, fortunatelly it's been identified quickly (there are stories of people roaming around with this disease for long years until a doctor had the right diagnosis ) so it could be treated. It's been destroying muscles quite rapidly so I wasn't able to get up on my own for some time, followed by physiotherapy and high dosed cortisone therapy. Name of that disease is dermatomyositis (Skin- and muscle inflammation). It's really rare but at least painless.
    It's quite remarkable how soon muscles can recover from such a blow, however I kinda stopped training on a certain level on when normal living was possible, walking and such stuff. It's really frustrating do to sports with very low stamina you know.
    I really was able to participate in normal life again very soon but I was kinda tired most the time so I couldn't really bring up the will to train my body alot next to school. Guess I should be quite thankful that my body weigth didn't explode for some reason, a doctor told me that it was related to the medication however.

So ever since I finished A-levels this may I spend my time training. Got a small grace period before starting work/study (gonna need extra qualification to study medicine since my a level grades were a little too bad to start right away). Currently I'm mainly bicycling (3-4x/week approx. 25km each lately) and doing some ordinary training like push ups, dumbell and such stuff. As usual I've way more knowledge about things than motivation to do it but it's working out quite fine.
    Only issue still is running. Either the sinnew or muscle at the lower shinbone/upper foot is in really bad shape since it has been used so less for a long time so it's starting to hurt quite easily. Well, it's gonna adjust with time so bicycling is the better choice for stamina allone so far as I couldn't push my stamina to a limit by running before that issue is fixed.

I'm really undisciplined with food. Rather with the type of stuff I eat then with the amount though. Thank god I seem to be lucky with predispositions as I don't gain additional weigth, also I rarely eat sweets exept for tic tacs

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Haha, I know. Well, I won't give up. I'm a masochist in that way; I love to work out until it hurts. Simple as that.
    It's easier with power training than with stamina for me. If it's really the stamina lacking the pain is much worse than if it's a simple muscle imo. However the high intensity training methods aren't even really painful, but they feel really effective. Forcing out a few more repetions than the muscle usually could handle with assistance has quite an impressive aftermath. It's surprisingly painless though, sometimes I just can't really lift a mediocre weigth with my arm the day after training for example, but there's no "real" pain to it like in aching muscles. The muscle just refuses to work.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; September 16, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many of you guys in this thread have a weighing scale? And how often do you check it?

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehehe, I have but I don't check it anymore. I will check it before I start Insanity and after, as well as measure my width.

To be truthful I think it's more common than you'd think. Even though we don't walk around telling everyone that we just weighted ourselves I think at least more than 50% of the guys does that. And it doesn't surprise me either. Most of the guys who cares about their body weights themselves, and a lot of guys does that. Almost everyone I know, but that might just be because I hang out with people who are similar to me, or it's something specific for swedish guys, I don't know.
    Last edited by blai; September 17, 2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a tape measure though. Oh wait, I do, but I don't measure my "vitals". I think it's frustrating to have to measure my waist and all. Especially frustrating to shop and what sizes they have are so impossible to get into!!! And I'm not even fat!

I have a weighing scale, and I've had it ever since I started on my weight loss program. I weigh myself almost everyday, to check how much I've gained so that I know how much I have to work to lose them. Since I'm now on the maintenance part.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

What program are you using Agnes, for how long have you used it, and are you seeing good results?

I finished the fit test and with pretty decent results but I haven't measured my body yet. Mostly because I'm incredible displeased with it at the moment and it'll just make me go even more /emo on my ass.

I feel it's weird that I've gained weight, and it can't have been muscles because I haven't been working out at all lately, and since I don't, shouldn't I become bigger, but decrease in weight because my muscles turns to fat... Well, the thing is that I haven't become bigger at all. Quite frankly I've thrown away some clothes because they are too big for me... I'm now at 32" waist, M/L in shirts and about 198.4lbs... Earlier I was 33/34" waist and about 184lbs...

Oh, and my results from the Insanity fit test. You do the sets for one minute and then you rest for one minuteThanks to phatbabymama @ youtube for uploading those vids so I can leech 'em.

I'll be back with my awesome improvement in 14 days and after 60 days you guys have no right to be slackers, if I can do it, so can you!

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Last Breath 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Pft, my year in the army has made me pleased with myself for life. Nothing can beat the shit they threw at us there. But I've kind of been slacking for a year now, but I've slowly been starting to pick training back up. My friends that I live with now are keen on it too, so we'll definitely get back on a serious track soon. It's not like any of us are in bad shape, in fact I consider myself to be in pretty good shape considering I haven't done that much for a year. Guess that year in the army really paid off and still is in effect to some extent huh?

One thing's for sure, I won't pick up any programs like the "insanity" program. I've followed a similar one before and while it rocks it's not my style. I rather do it steadily over time. I know with myself that I only need ~3 months to be back at my best (military condition), and that's 3-4 training sessions a week, and in the army I was in a really good shape. But I really recommend people to try out programs like the insanity one Blai is doing, if you are mentally prepared that is. It sounds weird but it's more mentally exhausting than physically, as you'll have to force yourself A LOT. The mind always breaks before the muscles. Just one tip (not for you Blai), do ~2 warm up weeks before you start the program if you haven't trained in a while. You can't enter the program getting all stiff and messed up right away, it would ruin it. As for me, time to get back to my serious mode again.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, I also feel that "considering" my lack of training I'm in good shape, but I'm not in any good shape. It all depends on what we want to reach. I'm thinking you don't want to get a an 8-pack of abs or huge muscles or anything like that but rather work out because it's healthy. I on the other hand, work out because I hate the body I've got from years of slacking :P

Also, thanks for excluding me with your tip, makes me feel like a pro!

Aaaaand don't forget to motivate each other \o/ woho, there's nothing like a pat on the back or some cheering while working out... Or if you are like me and prefer someone yelling in your face how useless and disgusting you are if you can't complete it.

Last Breath 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I work out to get into good shape. But no I'm not aiming to become "the sexiest muscle man of all", but simply enhance my natural good looking image (see how awesome that sentence was?). I've never been much of a six-packer so I've given up aiming for super six-packs, although I have "natural" six-packs that appear very quickly, but only slightly and that's enough for me. Then my abs are nicely trained and it's visible that I'm fit, but still retain my natural look. My body is in general quite naturally built for training, so in my honest opinion I end up looking really good without having to work my butt off although I have to put in a considerable effort especially in the first two months, aswell as eat well. I can show you some pictures of my army times if you want sometime (man that sounds awfully gay...). But to my point, I aim to become well defined, look healthy and well trained, aswell as show others that I care for my body. Not to become superman.

I excluded you because you had started, and I didn't want to sound like I was lecturing you about what you should have done before starting the program as I have no clue what you have actually done, or how you've prepared. Plus I know you're a pro trainer from beforehand so yeah, kind of a pro there, heh.

I hate people yelling at me. It reminds me way too much of the officers in my platoon. But a few "Come on, only two more!!" never hurts and is always welcome!
    Last edited by 3c; September 20, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Actually I work out to get into good shape. But no I'm not aiming to become "the sexiest muscle man of all", but simply enhance my natural good looking image (see how awesome that sentence was?). I've never been much of a six-packer so I've given up aiming for super six-packs, although I have "natural" six-packs that appear very quickly, but only slightly and that's enough for me. Then my abs are nicely trained and it's visible that I'm fit, but still retain my natural look. My body is in general quite naturally built for training, so in my honest opinion I end up looking really good without having to work my butt off although I have to put in a considerable effort especially in the first two months, aswell as eat well. I can show you some pictures of my army times if you want sometime (man that sounds awfully gay...). But to my point, I aim to become well defined, look healthy and well trained, aswell as show others that I care for my body. Not to become superman.
    Noted. I also believe that my body has a great base, and while I don't look like I'm in shape, it's very easy for me to GET in shape. I find it very easy to progress with my work outs. For example, one of my friends has arms almost twice as thick as me but I still lift more than him, and last time I started to work out I went from 16 to 22kg's on my dumbbells in two weeks time.

I want to work my butt off. I seriously want to feel pain because I'm raised with the speech "no pain - no gain" so when I work out I want to feel my body break, so I can re-build it in a better way. :3 Sounds weird, ne?

Yeeeeeesh, let me see nuno in his glory days

Also, damn that was a precise explanation. Didn't expect that!

I excluded you because you had started, and I didn't want to sound like I was lecturing you about what you should have done before starting the program as I have no clue what you have actually done, or how you've prepared. Plus I know you're a pro trainer from beforehand so yeah, kind of a pro there, heh.
    I run 5kms three times a week, I walk 6kms a day and I still have my muscular base from 9 years of ice hockey, tennis and football.
    Anyways, yes, a warm-up week is a must because it's not a build-up program where you progressively increase difficulty and it's neither for people who give up easy or who frankly doesn't have the stamina. You don't have to have the body of a god, but a decent base is necessary. I must say I was able to cope very well and my results were very close to what the "pro's" on the CD had when they started.

I hate people yelling at me. It reminds me way too much of the officers in my platoon. But a few "Come on, only two more!!" never hurts and is always welcome!
    Really? It reminds me of my sadistic coach from my later ice hockey years and it just spurs me even more because not only did I survive him, I'm also going to show that *insert random cuss* that I will survive him too since he's not half as bad as my sadistic coach.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Program? nothing, really Blai.

except that I try to have enough fiber, and least carbohydrates as possible. I used to do burpees 4-5 times a week, plus at least an hour of walking every day. But now I just do some taebo and ab exercises 3 times a week. just for maintenance and overall cardio health, of course.

I think what really worked for me was the walking part. I did it any way and every where I could, as much as I could. It's the one thing that has had great impact on my weight, I think. For the other exercises, they've contributed to toning specific muscles already.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Truefan21's Avatar
    Looking over Sasuke's gravestone with joy
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Congrats on being a hero member truefan.

Cardio is definitely necessary. As the name suggests, it is for your cardio-vascular health. It also burns the fat and excess calories that you take in. It gives you extra wind and increases your stamina. But I read you have to keep cardio exercises and strength exercises on different days so that the cells in your body won't be confused how to use up the energy.
    thanks
    well i did some jumping jacks as a form of cardio it worked my love handles reduced
    For those who thank forums are for praise and worship think again http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=157

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You Blai, my friend started insanity as well. He's more of my build too. He was an offensive lineman with me in high school and he got hurt too. So he's like a good test subject for the program. So if you like it and he does well too then maybe I'll give it a shot ....MAYBE!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Truefan21's Avatar
    Looking over Sasuke's gravestone with joy
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

so how long do you need to exercise to do a full body work out and how many times a week should i do it
    For those who thank forums are for praise and worship think again http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=157

New Reply
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast