Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Just to clarify one thing: Getting in shape is not always equal to loosing weight, but often the opposite.
    For the specific case of Zeltrax, it definitly is. 110kg for a 168cm really is a lot. I mean, what does a 180cm tall bodybuilder weigth with his abstruse amount of muscles and doping? Like 120kg afaik. And that's a totally impossible ideal for the "average" person who just wants to get in shape.
    For 168 cm 70kg can be quite fine imo even with a good muscle mass, so in this case there's definitly a lot of weigth to lose.

I'm quite sceptical about nutrition plans. I think common sense, a little maths and basic knowledge about food is absolutely sufficient. But as an example it's probably good to have one.

I still think that it's easiest to build up a mix of training and good nutrition step by step.
    Stamina-> Stamina & Muscles -> Stamina & Muscles & Nutrition
    Stamina first, because it's good to have some before starting on the muscles - but there doesn't have to be much delay until the next step. Muscle training next, but without changing nutrition so much right away - it's hard enough to stick to one of these things for starters.
    Nutrition last, because at that point a better physical shape of stamina and muscles will make burning fat much easier. And when one is used to the physical strain already, it makes it easier to cope with the change of foods.

For myself I found that a certain balance of food is kinda important. I couldn't control it properly anymore when I ate too few for breakfast, I'ld always search for more food then and ultimately gain more calories then I'ld have gotten with a more normal breakfast.
    However, I also started thinking that the type of food really is overrated and only the amount bothers. An example:
    When I only ate a yoghurt for breakfast (150kcal) and dropped food during break exept for one of these watery cocoas from a vending machine (like 200kcal), I'ld always get hungry during work. Since we could eat the chocolate we produced (yayy, great job ) I obviously couldn't keep my hands from it. But even if chocolate has a lot of kcal, very little already helps a lot when eaten in the right moment (really improves the momentarily shape when one is low on blood sugar). 10g of most types are around 40-50kcal only, but can be totally sufficient and a great boost from 12:30 until work ends at 14:00.
    That makes ~400kcal for the morning including work, so a lunch of 800kcal still leaves a lot of daily requirements open (around 50%).

Now obviously this isn't anywhere near healthy for long term, but reduces the time for cutting weigth considerably. When body is in a good shape beforehand, it's simply the fastest way. That's why I said that training comes first and nutrition comes in a second stage.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do know this, I just wanted to clarify that the two parameters doesn't equal each other "Size & Weight" since it's a common mistake.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Yes I do know this, I just wanted to clarify that the two parameters doesn't equal each other "Size & Weight" since it's a common mistake.
    Ah allright, but I guess most people can seperate muscle mass and body fat percentage already

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Well most people can't, hence why a lot stop eating when they work out etc. They "loose weight" by eating too little, or working out too much, which results in a loss of muscles, and when you loose muscles, you loose more weight than you would do with the same equivalent of fat. Therefore they believe they're doing the right thing when they're not. It's basically common diet knowledge and I simply wanted to clarify it before I gave my view on the six meals theory which has worked for me, and for my friends who tried it.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew a friend who really lost weight because he counted his calorie intake and burning. wow, what devotion.

When I'm hungry I eat. And I always used to look for junk food ((chips for breakfast, lunch, dinner)- hence I got salt crystals in my kidney which wounded my urinary tract and caused me to pee blood for a time.

I curbed that by replacing junk with seeds (watermelon, pumpkin) and nuts, until eventually I don't look for it too much because it's too much of a hassle to eat seeds sometimes. -_-

Yakult (cultured milk) and yogurt really help in weight management and overall internal health since it keeps your digestive system in optimum performing capacity.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Yakult (cultured milk) and yogurt really help in weight management and overall internal health since it keeps your digestive system in optimum performing capacity.
    For me more than anything else it helped to have a very solid daily routine and to get up very early. Also, to follow the saw not to eat late in the evening/not much in the evening in general.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd really say that count calories and drop the ammounts of food drastically won't get a person somewhere unless the person is a beast. To manage one's weight and get in shape people should eat practically the same at the begining, maybe a bit less (depends on the person), but the person should clearly increase their training more and more. Loosing weight and gaining muscles is a challenge in some way.
    About dropping weight for about 20-30 kilos in 6 months... that's possible, though it would be a bit of a shock to the body. If the person has actual time to run I'd say it will help, especially if the person can manage mycrazy program of running from 4 up to 10 kilometers a day + wallking from home to university (or work) and back. With just this I managed to drop about 6 kilos in 2 weeks even without managing my normal food income.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically, I should work on my stamina and lose weight, then try to gain muscles or something similar to that..?
    Anyway, walking back from my school to my house is a good idea that I've thought of, I'll try when school doesn't realizes late.
    I don't drink, but I do drink quite a lot of sugar drinks.
    To put it short, I'm an overweight person with a lot of unhealthiness in me and I have to start to change to become a healthier person.
    So is it recommended to run or is it better to do those exercises, or both..(whew..that'll be exhausting for me)?

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Start by walking a lot, then switch to running shorter distances, then longer, and then add additional exercises I'd say.

Don't drink any sugar drink at all. Switch to herbal tea, water, fruit juice (sugarless).

And have patience.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's the best. It isn't nesesary to push yourself too hard, but anyway you should progress even for a little every day, every week and you'll surely see progress in a month or two.
    Of course it would be better to quit soft drinks and food with many calories, but the thing is you don't need to quit it in a moment. First you should reduce for some degree, than more and then quit completely. The drinks can be quited in one go, but instant quiting other food will make a shock for your body, so it should be slower, but actually making healthier food list. Though I'd say not the food itself is important, but it's ammount.

If there is a posibility to swim you can try it. This summer I was running and walking + swimming every day and even though I was eating in McDonalds every day and eating chips at home I didn't gain any weight.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    So is it recommended to run or is it better to do those exercises, or both..(whew..that'll be exhausting for me)?
    Exhausting is good, how else is it supposed to work?
    Muscles need an impulse to grow, they have to be challenged to the best amount possible. This is best done with the proper exercises, because they make sure that all the strain works on the muscles. If you don't execute them properly, a lot of the impulse will often go on bones and sinews, which obviously isn't healthy, will hurt and will minimise the training effect.

An example for dumbell training: The dumbell has to be lowered very slowly. That's really working on the muscle. If you drop it quickly instead, that has two negative side effects:
    -It won't be a slow, constant strain anymore, but a sudden peak when you catch the weigth again. This goes on links, bones and isn't good for the muscle at all
    -Muscles get the most impulse when they're working without a single break and go into the unaerobic area (I'm not certain if I use the right term here, but 100% about the method)

Especially for simple excerises like dumbell counts: Do as many repertitions once you're in the area when you actually think that you can't do a single one anymore. It's a common technique to have somebody slightly assisting your movements, once your muscles can't work anymore, to have the best training effect. But always make sure to do proper movements.
    Also, muscles are better in countermotion than in motion. Even if you can't raise a dumbell another time, the muscles will still be able to slower the downwards motion. Let's say you're using a dumbell on one side only and the biceps is totally at it's limit already, you can assist the upwards motion with your other arm, and only let the biceps do the downwards motion.

If you really can't do both at once, then better start with running or biking for stamina, until you got used to that part, before adding muscle exercises.

Let's just say it's good that you've been drinking sugar drinks up until now. Dropping them already lowers the amount of useless calories you're gaining instantly
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 23, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah its good to drop the sugar drinks.

I don't drink soda/cola, I haven't been drinking it for 8 years now. Changing it to Juice (in fast food) turned out to be quite expensive here. And until about two years ago I drank flavored drinks and tea all the time, and still ended up dehydrated (because of my salt intake). The doctor told me pure water and drinks had different hydrating effects so I dropped that too. Besides, there's a lot of sugar in commercial drinks.

The juices that I can drink now are full-strength fresh juices. Also, flavored drinks or really diluted ones are just added sugar with much of the nutrients and antioxidants gone.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

My two cents, its also depends upon genetics. When I was younger, I used to have so much cola and sugar drinks. I used to put lumps of butter on the toast...hope you get my point but I never gained a pound. Same happened with my father when he was young. But for last year a two, I have gained weight. Even though I avoid sugar, skip a meal a day, avoid cola drinks, nothing seem to helped. I walked a lot briskly, that didn't help. Perhaps playing different sports all my life required a little more from me. Anyway, my father had the same issues and he gained weight when he reached the same age as I did. I have seen people who when eats, make me think, they must have some metal parts to digest. They literally abuse the word eating >.>, but they don't gain the weight proportional to the butchery they called eating.

I have again started some rope skipping, push-ups, crunches, etc. I will work my way to some weight exercises in couple of days. At the moment, I am just sticking to light-normal workout.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be genetic but more a matter of age and metabolism, thorn, in your case.

I mean, we all ate a lot of chocolate and butter and candies and cake when we were kids. Of course as we get older, there will be more restrictions.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    It may be genetic but more a matter of age and metabolism, thorn, in your case.

I mean, we all ate a lot of chocolate and butter and candies and cake when we were kids. Of course as we get older, there will be more restrictions.
    I am not that old and I am talking about a time frame of one year or so. Off course age matters, but again a person lives next to me who is 60+ and he eats all the time. Yet he is thin and has been like that forever.

New Reply
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast