Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    + wallking from home to university (or work) and back. With just this I managed to drop about 6 kilos in 2 weeks even without managing my normal food income.
    ...How long do you take to walk from uni to home? and how many kms are we talking about here..? I've been walking for 3 days now for 1 hour from my school to home but I don't run.. I wonder if it is any use though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    ...How long do you take to walk from uni to home? and how many kms are we talking about here..? I've been walking for 3 days now for 1 hour from my school to home but I don't run.. I wonder if it is any use though.
    Walking is the same as running, although the latter burns the calories more. But I am sure that your walking for one hour will definitely get you in shape. However, if you have just been doing that for three days, the effect is still not yet visible. Continue that for several weeks and try to maintain a healthy diet alongside that form of exercise, and most probably, the effects will finally start to reveal themselves.

It would be, of course, better if you can add more forms of exercise to that one. Why not do from your home going to school? You might get sweaty, yes, but it'll do you a whole lot better.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well ideally brisk walking for an hour would be equivalent to jogging for 30 minutes... at least that's what I read.

So I never stopped under an hour when I tried to lose weight the first time. It was the best thing to do since I was new to exercise, I was fat and heavy that time so I couldn't really jog as I had no stamina too.

effects from walking for an hour a day, plus a no-rice, low-starch (no cakes, white breads, etc), low-sugar (no ice cream, no artificial juices, no sodas) diet showed results in two months. then I relaxed a little bit on the diet and increased my exercise to make up for it, since I also built a little stamina and felt lighter to do more things.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, walker or runner, you'll get most benefit if you aim for thirty to sixty minutes a day. It doesn't have to be all at once — three or four fifteen minute blocks through the day is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lynch
    There's going to be much less injury associated with a low impact exercise such as walking, and that's why we can advocate walking for
    a lot of people, especially if they're overweight or have a cardiovascular condition, they're still going to get a lot of benefits from a brisk walk
    The impact of running on your joints can be more than three times your body weight, every step is triple the impact of walking. You have to train your body to get used to the jarring. Ultimately for walking or running — find your level, then build up slowly and the benefits will come, both in weight loss and general health.

And when your body is used to running, after you've slowly increased the strain during your walking/short runs which'll make it easier for you to run for longer distances you will see the real results.

In terms of weight loss, running wins hands down over walking. In general, you have to walk nearly an hour, to get a similar weight-loss benefit to a half hour run. So continue like you do now, and then increase slowly. It's an exponential increase of calories burned and distance/speed you've moved.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In my home area in Manila, I cannot do walking nor running as my form of exercise because there are lots of trucks and buses in front of our house unless I want to be hit and smashed my brains to molecules. As a substitute for that exercise, I walk up and down our stairs instead. I do it for 30 minutes every day after I get back to work from school.

I recommend doing that exercise because you have no costs at all! Plus, you'll definitely sweat a lot due to the gravity you are opposing in just going up the stairs. I'm planning to adding weights on my going up and down the stairs.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I just can't stand doing that kind of exercise I get bored out of my mind, really. Even treadmills kill me because I can't stand being in one place. >.<

That's why I like walking (in Makati, steel, and UP/Ateneo campuses in the metro) or jogging or swimming- I get to go places and see people and different scenery.

That, or Billy blanks

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd kill myself if I start running in our damned street of ours so I guess I have no other choice left than to walk up and down the stairs. But hey, it's still fun! I always listen to music so that I don't become too conscious of the time I'm working.

Music is definitely a very useful aid in exercising. It lets me become unmindful of the time. You wouldn't realize you'd have exercised 30 minutes already.

Tae Bo is one of the best forms of exercises but I'm afraid to try it out because I'm afraid I'll be the first one to quit especially in Tae Bo tours in famous department stores. It'll be embarrassing!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

ah but I don't attend a Taebo class. I just do it at home with the videos. It aint too bad, especially because Billy Blanks is a cool guy ^^

My sisters and I all do his workouts on our own since we live separate lives but we do get competitive during homecomings about keeping our figures

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Channy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been biking alot lately im sweating and i can feel the pain the next day in my legs and stomach so i must be doing something right i wanna try and lose 50-60 pounds by the summer

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

that's a draaaastic weight loss by trying to lose 60 lbs in two months! are you following some "biggest loser" program or something?

My weight loss of 30 lbs happened in two years, gradually. And because of this experience I firmly believe that gradual honest work is the way to go. With gradual loss the skin can recover, at the same time your metabolism adjusts properly so you don't go through withdrawal, or a backlash in weight gain.

I've tried crash dieting of different methods, and I do lose some weight but after a week or so I gain even more than I lost because of the adverse reaction to the sudden weight loss and drastic change in diet.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwingcrash1 View Post
    I'd kill myself if I start running in our damned street of ours so I guess I have no other choice left than to walk up and down the stairs. But hey, it's still fun! I always listen to music so that I don't become too conscious of the time I'm working.

Music is definitely a very useful aid in exercising. It lets me become unmindful of the time. You wouldn't realize you'd have exercised 30 minutes already.
    I agree, I can't run for 30 minutes..I don't think 2 rounds around the stadium is 30 minutes so I walk from school to home, today's the 4th day and with music, I'm kindda enjoying it. Music really takes your mind off

Well, I'll be keeping this up for 2 months first and see what it will bring me

Oh and I can't walk to school in the morning unfortunately.. It starts at 7.20a.m and if I do, I'll have to start at 6 in order to be on time and to be honest, the traffic here is bad for me to walk that early.

..and I'll have body odor.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurray for the men and better luck next time for the girls; I've read once in a study that men tend to lose weight faster than women. Here it is:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...d=37981&sc=801

And 60 lbs in just two months? I think that's possible if combined with both diet and daily exercise.

Let's get it on!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Channy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well when i went to Germany in the summer of 09 for a month i lost 30 pounds just by biking and walking everywhere so its possible

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I've tried crash dieting of different methods, and I do lose some weight but after a week or so I gain even more than I lost because of the adverse reaction to the sudden weight loss and drastic change in diet.
    Crash dieting has never been an effective method to begin with. I believe dieting needs preparation and not just an immediate halt or refrain from eating.

If possible, a person has to start off with something like 1 and 1/2 cup of rice and a vegetable viand (non-salty and non-sweet, with minimal oil). If he gets accustomed with the new lifestyle, he should try to reduce it a little more until he can finally control his oral urges. Little by little, this can finally be called as proper dieting. Of course, exercise will expedite the process of weight loss because he can burn the calories taken.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwingcrash1 View Post
    Hurray for the men and better luck next time for the girls; I've read once in a study that men tend to lose weight faster than women.
    that can easily be observed if you watch Biggest Loser. The women really have a hard time.

Firstly, the breasts shrink before anything else does >.> That's a sad fact, i'm afraid.

Here's a shocker though. Shoe size! The 30 lbs weight loss for me caused my shoe size to get smaller! maybe the fats surrounding my feet disappeared??

New Reply
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast