Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Getting in Shape Thread

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Arth's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Getting in Shape Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogance View Post
    DRINK WATER!!!! <snip>
    So next time you go out for a meal, and the waiter asks you what you want to drink, pass on the beer and soda and just say WATER, plus it can save you some money as well. =)
    No beer!!?? You must be kidding me!!

I hear that walking and other light exercise is the best exercise for losing weight.
    Doing exercises which keeps your heart rate below 120~130 uses energy that is broken down from fat instead of ATP in your muscles.

In other words:
    - lighter exercise makes you lose weight
    - heavier exercises makes you grow muscles

It's not as simple as that, but meh. It's generally true
    ~ Arth

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's true what you say Arth, that if you wanna loose weight you should do kinda do light cardio, walking and light excercises. And generally it almost IS as simple as that

Since ATP is a more effective energy source your body is using it when you're stressing - i.e. running 200m and using fat when it's not in such a hurry - i.e. walking 2km.

Of course, that's only a third of what you need to do, since it doesn't help unless you eat proper and sleep proper.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Arth's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Yes it's true what you say Arth, that if you wanna loose weight you should do kinda do light cardio, walking and light excercises. And generally it almost IS as simple as that

Since ATP is a more effective energy source your body is using it when you're stressing - i.e. running 200m and using fat when it's not in such a hurry - i.e. walking 2km.

Of course, that's only a third of what you need to do, since it doesn't help unless you eat proper and sleep proper.
    True that

Vigorous exercises can make you lose a lot of weight if you do it for long enough though.
    It takes roughly 2 and a half hours to use up all your ATP (although it depends on the exercise), and then your muscles switches from using ATP to using fat as an energy source. Or something to that effect >.>

That's as far as my sketchy dietary knowledge goes ^^
    ~ Arth

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

oooh you guys are saying some interesting stuff about atp and all... hehe.

It's true that you need to sleep properly too. when I asked my professor about this though, all he said was "because it's how nature made you. You sleep at night and wake up in the morning. That's all there is to it"

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Your teacher needs to read up on it because that's not really the only reason >,> jeez

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the easiest ways I've found is pay attention to how you feel after you eat. Cuts out a lot of bad food as you get tired and cranky. Good food makes you have more energy and concentrate better.
    On the atp thing that's one of many things to pay attention too. Like a lot of people explained there are tons of ways to lose weight which is why there are so many crash diets. Muscles need energy to be rebuilt so it is good for losing weight. Drinking cold water apparantly burns calories and eating apparantly does too which is one reason experts say eat 6 small meals a day(though plenty of people do just fine with 3).
    Oh like babyosai I try to work out to get better at singing but sleep is my enemy.
    Last edited by tasuki00; June 15, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

In College, I did a lot of the simple diet, lots of pasta, sushi, antioxidants, and lessened meat, shitload of drinking. Maintaining 165-170, never getting away.
    When I was in High school I was 200 lbs, and I dropped down to 140 by senior year by unhealthy dieting, starving/cutting out meat/fish.
    I've worked at a gym for the past year.

At 22, my metabolism was fucked, I got a blood test and it said I had serious lack of nutrition that was affecting my red and white blood cells (probably my energy and emotions too).
    But I can tell you two ways that will work. I speak professionally about this, listen if you want. THIS IS NOT A LOSE WEIGHT DIET, this is a convert your body to a healthier version of yourself diet. I don't care about losing weight diets, I care about diets where you don't lose a pound and the % fat in your body drops to half, while your muscle mass doubles.

How to be healthy, hard way:
    Spoiler show

This takes some getting used to, but if your schedule can afford it, it is soooooooooo worth it, you have no idea. Eating 5 times a day sounds like such a b.s. thing, but come Christmas dinner time, I could eat and eat and it didn't bother me the next day because I sped up my metabolism enough that I could mess up once or twice a month without worrying.

And.. the "easy" way. (More expensive, even though you're just replacing food costs with supplement costs).
    Spoiler show

Ultimately, I would suggest mixing both, supplements aren't something randomly made up, we don't suddenly get enough vitamin C and B 12 by changing our diet, and despite drinking 2 Oj's (12 oranges) and 2 spinach salads, I didn't improve my iron levels until I took supplementary vitamins. You can't harm yourself with daily vitamin supplements because they exit in your urine.

General tips:
    If you're going to eat fish: Big fish > small, big fish are full of protein like tuna/salmon, small fish are also good for you, but provide more fat for less protein.
    Chicken: Boil/bake yourself, avoid store bought stuff, sauces and breadcrumbs/frying.
    Beer:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Lohnt; June 16, 2009 at 08:22 PM.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tasuki00 View Post
    Oh like babyosai I try to work out to get better at singing but sleep is my enemy.
    Do you have any special exercises? Or is it just fitness to increase your lung-capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohnt View Post
    General tips:
    If you're going to eat fish: Big fish > small, big fish are full of protein like tuna/salmon, small fish are also good for you, but provide more fat for less protein.
    Just a quick question. I know exactly what I eat and stuff nowadays but there's one thing I haven't thought of before... I'm eating a lot of tunas and I know it's really healthy because it has approx 25% proteins and Omega 3 but I haven't researched that much on the fish-topic so do you know another fish that tastes almost as good (impossible to, tuna = love) and that is healthier?
    Preferably something canned since it's expensive and I'm a poor student

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The 5 components of fitness are as follows:

- Muscular strength
    - Muscular endurance
    - Cardiovascular endurance
    - Body composition
    - Flexibility

In order to be considered truly "fit", each of these aspects should ideally be maintained or worked at a good level. Most people usually concentrate on the first 2-3 however. I notice flexibility isn't much of a winner among people(especially guys), but it's important to be mildly flexible as it helps posture and in the long run it helps with back problems and other such issues when one gets old.

Stretching is a good way to improve flexibility. Since stretching is a must for workouts, it honestly shouldn't be too complicated to add an extra 5-15 minutes of dynamic and static stretching to improve flexibility.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is just waaay to troublesome... I'm applying for the Musical Academy 2011 in Umeå and I need to be inhumanly fit for that ;<

With that I mean I have to be really flexible, atm I'm an old hockey-player which = stiffness... I have to do stretching like 3-4 times / day - the whole year... I also need to take dance classes in jazz-dance too... Need to work up my breathing capacity so a lot of fitness has to be made... the dynamic muscles I have are more than enough, I just have to work on the static ones... Since ballet is a course you have to take when you choose musical...

Anyone got a good tip on how to combine static muscle work-out with fitness and flexibility... Like an endurance flexibility exercise or something...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

tae kwando!? maybe

i was following a fitness(it was more kick boxing then anything) dvd the other day and it started off with warming up the joints; neck-shoulders-back-hips-knees-enkels-elbows and wrists. then the muscles; joging on the spot-squads-skipping-bush ups etc.
    the first half was a introduction to boxing and the second half involved kicking. in the last part teaches some breathing techniques and stretching(its important to keep joints/muscles warm when doing this).and because it made stretch every muscle on my legs, i was able to perform a split on my first ever session. and now im able to reach 10 inches past my toes.

the only thing left now is to find a balanced diet. i either eat too much food or drink too much water. thats why a friend of mine told to devide my stomach space into three. 1/3 for food - 1/3 for water and 1/3 for air. it happens to me sometimes that when i overeat it gets hard to breath.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well you could always drink tea.

Tea is healthy because it detoxifies.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@Blai: Flexibility is worked on by bending muscles past their normal limit. Usually it's done in pairs because well, you can't pull your leg back farther than it can go naturally alone lol

There are many stretching routines(once again done in pairs) that help improve flexibility. The trick to it is to go until you reach a point of discomfort(not hurting, discomfort) and to maintain that position for a given amount of time(normally a few minutes is enough, lest you start tearing too many muscle tissue). Also note you have to be careful of bone structure when trying to improve flexibility. As a dancer and gymnast, I've had years to make my skeletal structure adapt to the moves I do. henceforth, I can sometimes move bones off or at the edge of their respective joints, which isn't an option for people who haven't trained like this.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know about the thing when it comes to being a gymnast since my sister was a gymnast teacher and when I was like seven I could do ridiculous things, but my mom had me stop around the age of nine/ten so I'm like... not that flexible... I was like wondering if there were some type of exercise where you could improve for flexibility, while strengthening your muscles. I know we had a couple of those exercises at icehockey but I can't remember them... ;/

Thanks for the info Mimi! (Off to find someone as weird as I am to halp me)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Do you have any special exercises? Or is it just fitness to increase your lung-capacity?

Just a quick question. I know exactly what I eat and stuff nowadays but there's one thing I haven't thought of before... I'm eating a lot of tunas and I know it's really healthy because it has approx 25% proteins and Omega 3 but I haven't researched that much on the fish-topic so do you know another fish that tastes almost as good (impossible to, tuna = love) and that is healthier?
    Preferably something canned since it's expensive and I'm a poor student
    Cod, haddock, flounder and sole are all relatively cheap frozen fish. You can probably get 12 pieces of fish steaks that will easily last you a week if you eat 2 a day. (And eating meat/chicken once a week). Salmon is a little more expensive.
    In general all large fish are high in protein and low in fat, some are high in cholesterol though but in general will provide you with high omega 3 and nutrients you'll normally lose. I guess Catfish/shark would also qualify.

Try avoid adding additional salt to fish, substituting instead garlic (goes with nearly every fish), pepper, oregano and ginger. In general all canned fish, even small ones like sardines/crab have decent protein, but I prefer to avoid them due to high sodium ratings.
    Also with tuna, prefer water brine over oil cans.

And always try to steam/boil/bake it, with a simple sauce like lemon and oregano/oil.

Just remember not to get discouraged by your budget, I know about having no budget due to school, I'm still in that situation with my MBA program now, but I try to sacrifice other things in order to eat better.
    If you don't spend the money now on a better diet, you'll pay for it later at a gym or knock on wood a doctor/surgery.

In general fish diets are difficult, unless you're a chef and follow a lot of foodnetwork/have time to look up recipes/can just afford sushi.
    But they tend to work sooooo much better than meat protein diets. Chicken breast diets are really only for bodybuilders. Chicken may work better for gaining muscle mass, but it is incredibly stressful on your body, and you have to have a personal trainer constantly pushing you to the next level.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast