Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

My favorite books are..

A Clockwork Orange by Burgess-
    This is a book about a fifteen year old criminal who has done it all; rape, murder, arson, assault, theft. Irrevocably violent, Alex, the protoganist, gets caught and sent to the slammer. Alex undergoes a mental treatment called the Ludovico Technique designed to make him mentally unable to cause any sort of violence against another human.
    There's a movie based on the book, directed by Stanley Kubrick.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin-
    Currently four long books are out of this fantasy series, which features multiple protoganists. The King has died, and the seven great houses are vying for control over the throne. A mature read, it details scenes of rape, incest, tortue, and great voilence.

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb-
    A bastard child is raised to become an assassin for the king. The book has very deep and involving writing, and the characters are very human and understandable. The main draw of this trilogy is the incredibly involving writing and great characters.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyOnlyStar
    A Clockwork Orange by Nabakov-
    This is a book about a fifteen year old criminal who has done it all; rape, murder, arson, assault, theft. Irrevocably violent, Alex, the protoganist, gets caught and sent to the slammer. Alex undergoes a mental treatment called the Ludovico Technique designed to make him mentally unable to cause any sort of violence against another human.
    There's a movie based on the book, directed by Stanley Kubrick.
    That film is incredibly famous , almost surely more than the book.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Luckas04! Kubrick made lots of awesome movie. Hmm... that gives me an idea. What book(s) do you think: Which great movie comes from a book adaptation and which movie turned out really different from the book?
    As for fantasy I personally think Lord of the Ring was a great book movie. I know there're lots of edited scenes from the book, but overall that LotR trilogy really turned out to be great.
    As for book movie that sucks, i voted for the adaptation of the first two part of The Bourne trilogy (The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy) and Timeline, from a book by Michael Crichton, which was poorly translated on the movie.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bakashijinsan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i don't like movies turned into books and books turned into movies coz i just end up criticizing the adaptation. i firmly believe that a story that was meant to be told in a form of media is at its best in its original. (just my opinion)

anyway, probably one good book-to-movie adaptation would be, yes as ichimaru gin n tonic said, LoTR and for me, The Green Mile. (i watched the green mile not knowing that it was a book written by stephen king)

i'm not into movies that were taken from books so i can only point out a few.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably there was only a movie adapted from a book which I liked, but I don't remember which Maybe Dune, bit in this case I probably saw the movie before even knowing about the book, so maybe none. But generally I really disliked movies adapted from books I liked.

I started readind The Bourne Trilogy, for the second time ; unfortunately I saw the movies before knowing about the books, neverthelles I disliked them.

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luckas04
    Probably there was only a movie adapted from a book which I liked, but I don't remember which Maybe Dune, bit in this case I probably saw the movie before even knowing about the book, so maybe none. But generally I really disliked movies adapted from books I liked.

I started readind The Bourne Trilogy, for the second time ; unfortunately I saw the movies before knowing about the books, neverthelles I disliked them.
    Which do you dislike, the movies or the books? I like both actually. I think both are good for different reasons. The movies are vastly different to the (excellent) books, but they make great stand-alones.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kadoman
    Which do you dislike, the movies or the books? I like both actually. I think both are good for different reasons. The movies are vastly different to the (excellent) books, but they make great stand-alones.
    The movies, many time I was disappointed by movies adapyed by books I loved. It's a lot of time I don't see a great movie.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bakashijinsan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The movies, many time I was disappointed by movies adapyed by books I loved. It's a lot of time I don't see a great movie.
    exactly the main reason why i'm not into watching movies that are adaptation of books. the same with movies made into books. i'd like to enjoy them in their original form.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

On the whole, I agree that movie adapations never match the books for experience, but then, do we really expect them to? They are two totally different mediums. Lord of the Rings movies are actually outstanding on their own, without the book for reference, even though they'll never come close to matching the book (and what would?). I think the Harry Potters films are much the same - this last one was extremely well made, and very watchable on its own without knowledge of the book. In other cases, some movies turn out better than the books as in the case of The Godfather Trilogy.

But to get back on topic, I am currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and watching the BBC mini-series adaption as well. Both are excellent so far!

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Harry Potters films are much the same - this last one was extremely well made, and very watchable on its own without knowledge of the book.
    Did you like the Harry Potter books? I loved the first one and eagerly awited for the second. After reading it, I stopped collecting these books. Then I read from the third one up to fifth hastily without much attention, now I started readind the sixth one 2 times and in both occasions I stopped.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you like the Harry Potter books? I loved the first one and eagerly awited for the second. After reading it, I stopped collecting these books. Then I read from the third one up to fifth hastily without much attention, now I started readind the sixth one 2 times and in both occasions I stopped.
    Why did you stop collecting? Any particular problem with the 6th book that made you stop?

I read the 1st Harry Potter book and yes, I loved it. I thought it was very entertaining and hugely imaginative. I got as far as the 3rd book before I realised it wasn't 'crossing over' for me anymore. As well, if memory serves me correctly, I thought the 3rd book had some plotting problems, espeically towards the end that Naruto fans wouldn't let Kishimoto get away with! So I haven't read any more books since the 3rd but I've kept up with the story (more or less) by watching all the films (which I think are great entertainment).

Don't get me wrong any Potter fans out there, I think the stories are wonderful, but the narrative style just isn't for me.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did you stop collecting? Any particular problem with the 6th book that made you stop?
    Simply after reading the second book I thought it wasn't worth, I was very disappointed. I think the problem was that the story goes in circle and it ends where it started. Sorry, I don't think I'm capable to explain that in english

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to love Harry Potter. I was younger when they first came out, so I got really into them. I'd read the whole series at least once a week XD But as I've gotten older I haven't read them. I just watch the movies when they come out ^^ I am excited to read the 7th (and final) book when it comes out next July.

I just finished a play called "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde, and it was really good XD Very satirical on the topics of marriage, courtship and society in general in old London.

I'm getting ready to start the play "Waiting for Godot" by....um...some guy XD It's a extistentialism work ^^

I'm back :3

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake
    I just finished a play called "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde, and it was really good XD Very satirical on the topics of marriage, courtship and society in general in old London.

I'm getting ready to start the play "Waiting for Godot" by....um...some guy XD It's a extistentialism work ^^
    I'm currently re-reading The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite "classics" writer.
    Waiting for Godot is by Samuel Beckett.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't read plays because the way they are written. It's a pity.

New Reply
Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast