Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Dragonzair's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Quote Quote:
    Are Harry Potter considered to be children's books, anyway?
    Like what Pimmy said. It became somewhat of a tenn book in 4-6. XD

"Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Puella Magi 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Galth's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, GK, i didn't know that... The dude was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzair
    Like what Pimmy said. It became somewhat of a tenn book in 4-6. XD
    Hehe, so i'm Pimmy now? Well, it actually sounds cute in english...

You were already Pimmy when GK introduced me to you on MSN! XD ///DZ

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brede's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried Eoin Colfer before? The Artemis Fowl series is quite funny. The 'hero' is so full of himself but at the same time, it is this that makes him likable.

On a more serious read, "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro is really thought provoking. The suspense builds up so gently. And the ending...well u have to read it for yourself. I felt reluctant to close the book and 'let' the characs 'go'. Just don't expect a Disney style wrap-up. This book will make you question about 'life'.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brede
    Anyone tried Eoin Colfer before? The Artemis Fowl series is quite funny. The 'hero' is so full of himself but at the same time, it is this that makes him likable.
    I have read four Artemis Fowl books, is that all there is at the moment - really liked the series, especially 3 (and 4), everybody loves the anti-hero criminal - though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes - he was so badass in the beginning

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes - he was so badass in the beginning
    Yeah, i agree, Artemis was so much more fun to 'hate' as he originally was 

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kusachu's Avatar
    Sasuke doesn't kill people, they fight him and then kill themselves.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okyatoks
    Whew!!!

You've got quite a list there, Kusachu... I've read The Prince, The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, and just scanned through Tao Te Ching...

BTW: Have you read any Camus or Asimov books?
    Nope! Good?? Reccommend me some and i will most likely check them out! XD i am always looking for new stuff to read! XD OH! and i highly reccommend any of the versions of Bushido/Hagakure if you liked the art of war and the book of 5 rings... I read through them like it was nothing and then read them again! XD i still pick them up and read random passages now and then. very good stuff. *nods*

OH MY GOD! Real Ultimate Power by Robert Hamberger is one of the funniest books i have ever read!!! And it is about NINJAS! XD (i can't remember if i mentioned that before...XP) The guy even has his own website...which is also hilarious...i wish i had a link to put up...

If anyone cares: Google either Robert Hamberger of Real Ultimate Power and go to that site!!! XD BWAHAHAHA!

[TiDhA.info]
    "My heart was calm and still. Still and pure. However, it was purely evil. The only thing I desired was to grow stronger." ~Vegeta

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bibichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Khaludh
    though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes - he was so badass in the beginning
    I agree, too. I really liked Artemis' "anti-heroness". It made the series stand out from the masses. But at the end Artemis lost some of his charm and the story became "mainstream".
    But I like the books anyway.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if it's mainstream, the only book i disliked was the second - he became a little more "normal" after that...

( and again bibichan turns out to have good taste xD )

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not currently reading anything but this thread has given me a few good idea on what to check into.

Great books though:

Dark Tower Series: If you're a Stephen King or a fantasy fan in general you're doing yourself a disservice not reading this series. By far my favorite works of his and ties into alot of his books like Insomnia, Salem's Lot, The Stand, etc.

Harry Potter: I know its been kind of beaten to death here, but its definetly gone from me being skeptical when I first saw all the hype with books 1 and 2 too it being my favorite book series ever. Nothing even comes close.

Eragon/Eldest by Christopher Paolini: A trilogy thats two books in. Good fantasy series

Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice: If you've never gotten a chance to go through these, give them a chance. From Interview with the Vampire to Memnoch the Devil they all kept me spellbound when I was a teenager.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code may have gotten all the hype (good book too) I think this book which takes place beforehand might be even better. Also check out Digital Fortress if you're into computers at all.

Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Another Fantasy series similar too but better than IMHO the Wheel of Time series. Check it out if you're into fantasy

I could list out more but those are the series that I check out immediately if something is released. All excellent, worth a read if you like the genre or have a spare weekend (uh per book).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently reading The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad, Three Lives by Gertrude Stein, and Light in August by William Faulkner (all for an English class; trying to get them finished by my exam on Monday). The Secret Agent is kinda bland (Heart of Darkness was better by far); Three Lives is mixed ("The Good Anna" is pretty unexciting, but "Melanctha" is rather good; haven't gotten to "Lena" yet). Haven't read enough of the Faulkner lately to give a justifiable assessment for it.

Also reading Jacques Lacan: A Feminist Perspective by Elizabeth Grosz, for the hell of it. I don't buy into psychoanalysis at all, so some parts cause me eye-rolling. I find the theory much more interesting as a set of myths than as something to analyse with.

Last book finished: White Noise by Don DeLillo, for the same class. Rather amusing, particularly if you've got some basis in post-structuralism, I expect. Some great ironic humour in it.

Best book ever written: The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. MAN. That book is a killer. Starts slow, has some heavy parts of extended dialogue, and is rather long, but by the time you're into the last stretch your mind is blown by how amazing the book is. Interestingly, it's not my favourite Dostoevsky (Notes from Underground for that); nor is it the favourite of a friend of mine who also agrees on its amazingly-greatness (she went for Crime and Punishment).

Other Really Good Books: somebody mentioned The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake on the first page. Concurred on that, especially the second book. It's a brilliantly busy and dense world contained almost wholly within one gigantic castle full of elaborate rituals and nearly empty of people, but everyone has their own thoroughly-wound plot. Recommended, definitely.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a gorgeous little story. Very touching and insightful. (Incidentally, there was an anime series that I remember watching as a little kid; I'd like to see it again to remind myself of more to it than just the theme song).

Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker is great. Weird experimental novel that is Not For Children. Includes Persian lessons and a book report on The Scarlet Letter which is more interesting to read than the actual Hawthorne book.

I would be remiss to not mention William S. Burroughs, who is also Not For Children. Of what I've read, Exterminator! is my favourite (though his work is so incestuous that to read one book of his is to read part of half a dozen of them, at least). Haven't read Naked Lunch yet, but I'll be getting to that when I've got a bit more time.

In other reading news, I've been wanting to read Neuromancer by William Gibson again. I consider it a light read, but I'm a dork for weird dystopian scifi sometimes, especially if you throw in AI or other artificial lifeforms and the philosophical questions thereof - moreso in movies than books, actually, but eh.

=D 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tamerlane's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some interesting books Sejma.

Quote Originally Posted by sejma
    Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker is great. Weird experimental novel that is Not For Children. Includes Persian lessons and a book report on The Scarlet Letter which is more interesting to read than the actual Hawthorne book.
    Anything would be better to read than the Scarlet Letter....I mean it was interesting from the point that it was written so long ago, but it was not a book that you walked away from with a very warm and fuzzy feeling. Too much prejudice.

Of course that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that there were people out there that liked it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member eQuek's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

A swedish book by the name of "Ondskan" is great, "ondskan" would be translated as "the evil".
    It's about a young guy who has to change school. The new school is friggin torture (literally sometimes). The author is Jan Guillou.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Another Fantasy series similar too but better than IMHO the Wheel of Time series. Check it out if you're into fantasy
    I have read/am reading both, and i cannot refrain myself from saying that

SoT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WoT ( opinion )

Wheel of Time series tends to become a little boring at parts, by dragging the story endlessly, and the Sword of Truth series only did this once, but that time it was a writing masterpiece, because Terry Goodkind likes to make the reader FEEL the emotions of his characters, so when they were travelling through an endless desert landscape, he stretched it for that reason...
    Spoiler: Chainfire show

amazing...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Harry Potter is nice ^^
    And yes, ur a admin so just change the name

Just placed a amazone order on :
    1. The art of war by Sun Tzu
    2. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
    3. Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
    4. Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn
    5. Brilliance of the Moon allso by Lian Hearn

Cant wait to get em
    lol, I actually already have Art of War by Sun Tzu!

I'm such a geek
    Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.<br /><br />

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped following the Wheel of Time series after the 1st book. I just don't have the patience to read thru a never-ending series. BUT having said that, my sis just loves the series and has read every single one more than once. The same thing goes for the Eragon/Eldest trilogy. I can't help feeling a patchwork of elements from other series/stories here BUT again, my sis disagrees and loves it. You can imagine the 'lively' discussions we have at home about these 2 series.

We both agreed on the Chrestomanci series tho and just about every book written by Dianne Wynn Jones - Howl's Moving Castle, the merlin conspiracy, etc. She's got a good sense of humour

New Reply
Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast