Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Finished reading "And then there were none"
    It lived up to my expectations but didn't surpass it.
    Good book tho, now I'm off to other agatha christine's books.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah well there's another light read I remember.

It's for kids but literature is literature nonetheless. I saw the movie first, but my sister let me read the book called "The Mighty".

It's a story about a friendship between a very smart but sickly kid, and a slow-minded big kid.

Just easy to read, but very sweet, tragic, and inspiring.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    thanks baboysai, I'll definately check this out sometime when I got time to leisurely read again...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't read the book, but I watched the (disney?) movie of White Fang, which was really good at the time I watched it (as a kid), though I saw WF2 (later on, as an adult) and it sucked, lol.

---------------------

about Where the Red Fern Grows:

Big Dan and Little Ann (the dogs, hehe) are suuuuchhhh a cuuuuuuteeee couple, seriously dogs know how to truly LOVE someone else!

You WILL CRY! Tears of happiness and Tears of sadness, like you have never known! Well, I did anyways *blush*

---------------------------

Iron Will (I saw as a movie though, not sure if it's a book too) is another great... movie... lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110157/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Will

it's about a race of sledding dogs... and... I won't spoil the ending...

Spoiler: Warning a huge hint of the spoiler ending! show

-------------------------

hehe, someone, actually read that, yay! The rest of the site is great too, about the Mongols, as they're quite fascinating as well, hehe. But, Mongol history, culture, and etc... isn't for everyone, lol

(the Mongol women section is a fun read though, laughs. Unless, it's been changed since last I read it. When I read it, it talked about this girl who physically pwned all these males who wanted her as a wife/mate, hehe)

------------------------

Have you seen shows of that english guy, don't know his name, on TV, who lives with wolves. I saw a new show teaser where he's now infusing his new wife into the pack, but it hasn't been on since... they're making it into a DVD series (for money obviously - So, I'm waiting to buy it lol). but in this "teaser" show, he's trying to infuse his new wife (get his wife accepted) into the pack, and so the alpha-male wolf is testing her mental strength, climbing up on her (~100-150 lbs) shoulders and having her neck between its teeth too, to see if she is mentally/emotionally fit/strong to be in the pack (if his wife will freak out or not), and the guy started to freak out quickly as it was his wife just cm's away from death even though he knew and briefed her that this is exactly what would happen, and he goes into the pen to end it. The wife passes anyways, and she eventually is allowed to be the wet-nurse/nanny for the alpha-females newborn cubs by the alpha-female.

anyways, it was sooo cool and "on the edge", hehe

but despite all what seems to us to be dangerous and "wild"/chaotic, the wolves DO have an extremely complex social structure and the guy is able to understand it perfectly, allowing his wife to not only survive it, but to be successful and integrity into the pack, into a role that could never be documented before, the alpha-female's world of (using another to) raise/nurse her cubs (a human female too).

and the wife was using a bottle for the nursing... for any of you who have a perverted mind like me

(anyways, I am so going to order buy it when it comes out!)

----------------------

about animal intelligence:

there was a "recent" show, well now its been some time, that talked about our new knowledge/awareness of animal intelligence:

animals fully understand the concept of deception

If you have dogs, you should be fully aware of this!

As long as you're paying attention (and a dog understands that you use sight/eyes), the dog acts all innocent and won't do anything bad... but as soon as you close your eyes or look away (and after some time passes, as the dog is making sure), the dog knows it's now free to do what it wasn't suppose to do, such as steal food...!

the same is seen with other animals too. One scientist would face the food in front of them and these monkeys/apes would not take the food. the experiment is done again, and the human scientist would face away from the food, and the monkey/ape would take the food.

(in hindsight, the scientists realize how obvious it is that animals truly understand the full concept of deception, and its not merely an instinctual behavior by them. As in the wild, they have to know deception in order to survive. Let's say you got a bunch of monkeys in a group. Well, if you can successfully steal food from the other monkeys and they never know it, that's very advantageous, as if you were to get caught, they'd mob-murder you or banish/exile you from the group. And then with all that stolen food, you can go up to that hot female monkey and show her that you can provide for her and your+her now-soon-to-come-baby-monkeys-hehe, like no other male monkey and you get to mate with her, whereas every other monkey has failed to do so, giving you the Nat. Sel. edge of being selected as a mate by her over the other male monkeys)

(which is exactly the same behavior in humans, human females *DO* desire a male who can provide, and that means wealth/money, which means that male human has to be able to make more money than other males can. I can't compete with Bill Gates, as he is far dominant to me in acquiring wealth, the ability to provide for female humans. Wealth is a MAJOR factor of a successful relationship vs an unsuccessful relationship-divorce in humans)

oohh... almost forgot... an experiment was done... and these monkeys/apes literally understand the mathematical concept and principles of economics just as we do! I forgot what exactly was the experiment but I think it involved opportunity costs/bartering, not getting ripped off-lol/understanding values-amounts, and other such basic economic principles that we had previously thought only humans were capable of understanding.

there's this female dog (at least I think the female animal was a dog), that has like 1,000 stuffed animal toys in its "toy room", and knows them ALL by verbal name! the human trainer-scientist says get the purple giraffe and the dogs gets it (and can find it, lol) !!!

but, what was even further amazing... the human trainer-scientist, hid a new stuffed animal into its "toy room" with 1,000 stuffed animals in there, and asked the dog to find the new stuffed animal by verbal description, and the female dog was able to (quickly too)!

(I soooooo need that dog.... with how messy my house+room is and with trying to find my stuff !!!!! LOLOLOLOL)

lastly, they discovered this with some animals as well:

self-awareness (using the dolphin's experiment)

the dolphin trainers/scientists placed a mirror into its tank, and the dolphin would curiously go look at it.

first the dolphin thought it was another dolphin, and tried to get its attention. but, it realized something more was going on. it would then discover the mirror and try to look around/behind it, realizing the mirror's doplhin as a reflection, understanding the concept of a reflection, that it was able to see itself. Suddenly the dolphin starts examining itself, and trying out things (like how it looks when doing things, such as like how guys and girls practice for their first date or in trying to impress or talk to the other gender)

than, to make absolutely sure, the scientists/trainers called the dolphin and they like drew a design on the dolphin making sure the dolphin felt it, as soon as they were done the dolphin immeditately went to the mirror and turned to see what those humans had done to it, at how it looked!

also, the dolphin would go to the mirror and see how cute/attractive it was, like how girls will do with their bodies+clothes+make-up+hairsytles and guys too with their stuff. Trying different things, for a male dolphin: "hmm, do I look more cute, for getting female dolphins, if I do 1 roll to the left and then 2 rolls to the right, or if I do a front roll and than a back role"

etc.. etc...
    It's nice to see people so enthusiastic!! Lol Humans are to an extent animals so we are much more similar to animals than we think we are xD the heated discussions i have with people yeesh and they always end with 'but we have a soul!' haha i sometimes need to give up lol

iron Will i havent heard about that in so many years! i loved that movie i need to re watch it i completely forgot it aaa!!!

There's no need to be embarresed about crying its a good thing shows you have a heart and you're not some robotic douche who thinks tough means not crying and looking cool when its just stupid things and stereotypes...

Have you watched Eight Below? It had such a beautiful ending i was sad and happy and i cried and grinned like an idiot haha
    for whose interested its this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_below

A good read unrelated to dogs is Septimus Heap ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon
    A good read unrelated to dogs is Septimus Heap
    I'll check it out too when I can finally find time for leisure reading, argh!

-------------------------------------------------

ya, I'm a bit of an animal geek/nerd...

(not many of them around, so I get really excited when I find someone who is interested in too or likes animals too or read the same animal books as me, and I can actually talk about animals, lol)

I watched eight below, but had a very different opinion of it than you, it sucked, lol.

(note, I hardly remember it, so I may have some things off and be way off about some things too, meh)

first, I care about dogs, so I didn't like watching a movie which entire plot is about dog after dog dying, due to the stupidity of the humans and also who only care for themselves (as was setup in the movie, anyways, lol)

second, there was nothing else to its plot, .

third, a "bitter-sweet" ending isn't even a "bitter-sweet" ending, it's just bitter, or worse, sour!

hey, 9 out of 10 of your dearly beloved precious children died, but guess what, 1 of your 10 dearly beloved precious children survived! isn't it a wonderful ending? UMMM.... NO!

hey, there's a hostage crisis involving 100 hostages, now in our police raid, 99 of those hostages got killed, but we managed to save 1 hostage, don't we deserve ceremony and awards? Isn't it a great and wonderful ending, isn't everyone happy with our police raid? UMM.... NO!

--------------------

P.S.

umm.... Humans ARE animals, pffft. The greatest egos/chauvism of such humans doesn't alter this, lol. I can think as a human, that I'm beyond an animal, but this ain't Harry Potter and Hogwarts, this is reality. Just as I can think that I'm the sexiest guy alive that all the hottest girls of the world are swooning over, that doesn't mean its actually so, lol.

"but we have a soul"....

"And all the other animals don't?" -HK

HK: "please, show me where my soul is! (I feel like Oluquoii in Bleach, where's this "heart", is it here?, here?, or here?, lol) And then show me how all the other animals don't have a soul!"

and there's the philosophical argument(s) which scientifically proves there's no such thing as a Soul, but I'll not trouble you with it, lol.

Homo sapiens sapiens = the species of animal that we, humans, are

Homo = Man (Humans)
    sapiens = wise

Homo sapiens = wise man

Homo sapiens sapiens = (modern*) wise man

*modern as in 70 tya (thousand years ago), which was when the Tobo Mtns'/Volcanos' eruptions occured creating us as the surviving species of hominids (humans), to today

biologically, we are apes
    behaviorially, we are virii (plural of a virus, which is singular)

"Humans are just hyper-social apes with a gun" -HK

"There's only two types of creatures, beasts and monsters, so if we're not beasts, then we are..." -HK

and Mr. Smith in the Matrix trilogy movies, describes/explains how we are (behaviorally) virii quite well, hehe.

Or, just look at our history too, at what we've done to every place we've inhabitated on this planet Earth, moving from place to place, consuming all of its resources and destroying that spot, just like a virus does, moving from host to host, before it dies along with the host, and before we die with that destroyed spot on our planet Earth.

or, our behavior; our excessiveness+waste and how we treat each other as well for that matter.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; May 08, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    I'll check it out too when I can finally find time for leisure reading, argh!

ya, I'm a bit of an animal geek/nerd...

(not many of them around, so I get really excited when I find someone who is interested in too or likes animals too or read the same animal books as me, and I can actually talk about animals, lol)

I watched eight below, but had a very different opinion of it than you, it sucked, lol.

(note, I hardly remember it, so I may have some things off and be way off about some things too, meh)

first, I care about dogs, so I didn't like watching a movie which entire plot is about dog after dog dying, due to the stupidity of the humans and also who only care for themselves (as was setup in the movie, anyways, lol)

second, there was nothing else to its plot, .

third, a "bitter-sweet" ending isn't even a "bitter-sweet" ending, it's just bitter, or worse, sour!

hey, 9 out of 10 of your dearly beloved precious children died, but guess what, 1 of your 10 dearly beloved precious children survived! isn't it a wonderful ending? UMMM.... NO!

hey, there's a hostage crisis involving 100 hostages, now in our police raid, 99 of those hostages got killed, but we managed to save 1 hostage, don't we deserve ceremony and awards? Isn't it a great and wonderful ending, isn't everyone happy with our police raid? UMM.... NO!

--------------------

P.S.

umm.... Humans ARE animals, pffft. The greatest egos/chauvism of such humans doesn't alter this, lol. I can think as a human, that I'm beyond an animal, but this ain't Harry Potter and Hogwarts, this is reality. Just as I can think that I'm the sexiest guy alive that all the hottest girls of the world are swooning over, that doesn't mean its actually so, lol.

"but we have a soul"....

"And all the other animals don't?" -HK

HK: "please, show me where my soul is! (I feel like Oluquoii in Bleach, where's this "heart", is it here?, here?, or here?, lol) And then show me how all the other animals don't have a soul!"

and there's the philosophical argument(s) which scientifically proves there's no such thing as a Soul, but I'll not trouble you with it, lol.

Homo sapiens sapiens = the species of animal that we, humans, are

Homo = Man (Humans)
    sapiens = wise

Homo sapiens = wise man

Homo sapiens sapiens = (modern*) wise man

*modern as in 70 tya (thousand years ago), which was when the Tobo Mtns'/Volcanos' eruptions occured creating us as the surviving species of hominids (humans), to today

biologically, we are apes
    behaviorially, we are virii (plural of a virus, which is singular)

"Humans are just hyper-social apes with a gun" -HK

"There's only two types of creatures, beasts and monsters, so if we're not beasts, then we are..." -HK

and Mr. Smith in the Matrix trilogy movies, describes/explains how we are (behaviorally) virii quite well, hehe.

Or, just look at our history too, at what we've done to every place we've inhabitated on this planet Earth, moving from place to place, consuming all of its resources and destroying that spot, just like a virus does, moving from host to host, before it dies along with the host, and before we die with that destroyed spot on our planet Earth.

or, our behavior; our excessiveness+waste and how we treat each other as well for that matter.
    True Eight below was very sad, and left a bitter taste i still liked it though because it was the oldest and most likely to die which survived and i think around 3 survived, it was a movie i loved and heted at parts so i cant really say much about it :/

Lol i remember engaging my friends in a discussion where i said 'How do you know animals have no soul?' and they're like 'umm umm because because i say so' its so hard to find people with good comebacks i literally pwned them from there on haha funny thing is i am religious lol
    seems i live to break down the stereotypes xD

I dont know if there are souls or what not or whatever i just know that it seems people are forgetting what it means to be truly human (human not a human being as in human)

Back to books;
    Agatha Christie is also a very good writer i love her!
    James Patterson's 'Sail' is also a very good family thriller quite cool ^^

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Borrowed the two first books in the A Song of Ice and Fire story :3
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

A short one, Mtsyri, M. Lermontov.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just finished reading The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw today. No, not Cinderella. :P Somehow I finished it, although it felt kinda hard for me to keep reading the book until the end... I think I got bored with it because it has too many descriptions, while I''m the type to keep moving on with the plot and development of the characters.

I'm reading The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare now, completing my Mortal Instruments Series. :P

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to pop in to ask
    has anyone read Ellery Queen's books?
    I might want to pick the series up if its really that good.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member indieRokker's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit 451, To Kill A Mockingbird and The Bible hands down!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I cried reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

What great story writing! The creepy undertone on the whole thing is what made it a deeply moving and compelling story.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To Kill a Mockingbird:

for me, it was a required book to read in school.

it's a really good book though, it really addresses the wrenching issues within it. very emotional, as you described, "making you (and me) cry (or maybe I was angry instead, lol)"

(unfortunately, I can't really remember at all what it is about lol, hence my abigious line above, lol)
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; May 21, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yes hege. Initially I was also "forced to read it" by my mother when I was a kid, and back then I could not grasp the gravity and the darkness that the book was trying to tell.

I read it again, in my twenties now, and wow, it meant a whole lot differently!

I guess this was the case for me too about THE LITTLE PRINCE. A friend once told me that you ought to read The Little Prince every x years, as you go through different phases of life, because it would give you different depths.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I unfortunately, have the opposite experience... sighs...

when I was a kid, I loved a lot of books, but some of them I tried to re-read, and they just weren't as good as they were, as I'm now an adult.

also, this is the same case with the Narnia movies.

when I read Narnia when I was little it was so awesome, but now as an adult, those Narnia movies were awful, so sappy, corny, simple, and boring.

I'm sure the books are much better, the movies probably leave out a lot, naturally like all movies compared to books, as film and text aren't really conversion'able, lol.

But, still I'm worried if I did try to re-read the books, they too might end up just like the movies.

-----

though, so far, I don't re-read books. As I'd rather just read a new book. Though, with now how I've completely forgotten some of my most dearest beloved stories/books which I had thought I'd NEVER forget, maybe I might re-read them some day, lol. But, still not yet, anways, hehe.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if I find a book bad the first time, i never bother reading them again.

But some books that I find really good, or books that I know I didn't understand too much, I read again. To the first, because I just love a good read, given it's tried and tested, I know it's never going to disappoint me. To the second, if it really did have good reviews (mostly from family members) and I just didn't get the story- or I know I never gave it much thought, I'd reread it to give it another shot.

re: Narnia
    I also tried to read Narnia. Unfortunately I picked this up during college, just before the movies were announced. And I didn't appreciate it too much.

re: Books and Movies
    So far, the only movie that surpassed the book(s) would be LOTR trilogy. I found the books dragging and a pain to read, but the movies were stunning and glorious and epic!

Other than that, I have yet to see a movie that satisfied me if I read the book beforehand.

New Reply
Page 51 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast