Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

The only movie which MIGHT surpass the book i read (or is on the same level) is Howl's Moving Castle

Also finished The Heart of the Matter by Greene who rightfully says he hated this book, i agree, but maybe i didnt understand it, its for school so ill have to reread it will comment later on it.For now all i can say is the characters are annoying, the main is a goody two shoes with too much pride and the plot is too sad.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, you mean Howl's was not a Studio Ghibli original (story)? I didn't know that... I'm curious about the book, if that's the case.

speaking of rereading, I'm currently rereading Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It's one of my favorite works by Gaiman, and I also loved the movie, surprisingly.

And I have my sights on the classic The Prince by Machiavelli.

and the new book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother which I could totally relate to, when I read parts of it in a bookstore. My mother raised us in such a similar manner

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

So nobody knows about ellergy queen's books?
    Anyone here particularly interested/into mystery genre?

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Ah, you mean Howl's was not a Studio Ghibli original (story)? I didn't know that... I'm curious about the book, if that's the case.

speaking of rereading, I'm currently rereading Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It's one of my favorite works by Gaiman, and I also loved the movie, surprisingly.

And I have my sights on the classic The Prince by Machiavelli.

and the new book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother which I could totally relate to, when I read parts of it in a bookstore. My mother raised us in such a similar manner
    Nope Howl's is a Dianna Wynne Jones novel and a really good read =]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howl%27s_Moving_Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    So nobody knows about ellergy queen's books?
    Anyone here particularly interested/into mystery genre?
    I love mystery, usually they are thrillers but i love them xD like Agatha Christie which would be crime

No i havent read any of hers sowwy ><

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Its okay, I just wanted someone to recommend me a few of queen's book but I guess I'll ask somewhere else.

I'm still reading Agatha Christine's books tho, I'm not really a fast reader so I'm now only reading "The Sittaford Mystery".
    What's your fav books by christine?

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Its okay, I just wanted someone to recommend me a few of queen's book but I guess I'll ask somewhere else.

I'm still reading Agatha Christine's books tho, I'm not really a fast reader so I'm now only reading "The Sittaford Mystery".
    What's your fav books by christine?
    Till now i only read one and i fell in love with her writing and im planning to try Murder on the Orient express and a bunch of others.

The one i read and was brilliant, but i cant remember its name bet it remains one of my fav. crime books, maybe someone can hlp me find it again i really loved it and i wanna reread it, it was a story on a detective who met a woman who told him about his hometown and then got killed. The detective reads her death on the newspaper and decides to go investigate. there he meets loads of people and some incidents lead to the death of many people, it turns out to be the nice old lady who was killiing people and he gets a lover too in the end who was his prime suspects (who dies) wife i think but didnt love him and married for some need??

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read a few books by Christie. Back when I was in sixth grade or something. I quit the mystery genre in high school, for some reason.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've recently started readin Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicles. Finished The Name of the Wine and avout halfway through of Wise Man's Fear. It is good this far. Funny things is, while it is obviously different, it still reminds me a lot of Harry Potter. More mature though.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the first one and was eagerly awaiting the seconds ones release. But when it did come out, a surge of indifference took me. I still havent read it. Is it good?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is good. I liked the early book more though. Now I'm on the "Counsellor of kings"-part mentioned in first book, and not really into it. Or atleast I asume this is the king. Feels bit cliche at few points. But still, I like it.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently reading a novel titled "Blue Bloods" by Melissa de la Cruz. I think it has a unique way of telling from most novels I read, a different way of how the author presents the plot. It feels somehow strange and confusing at some points, yet interesting since I get to try something new and different.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member shuha27's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently reading "Frankenstein" and have to read "The Giver" and "Digital Fortress" for AP English over the summer. Can anyone tell me is "The Giver" and good. I hear "Digital Fortress" is good because Dan Brown is awesome!

Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

"Digital Fortress" is to die for good believe me you wont regret reading that, but imo Dan Browns bestest are "Dav Vinci Code" by far and "angels and Demons" while "the Lost symbol" is insteresting but not quite as fun as the others, I'm only halfway through and ended up dropping it but will continue it soon when i get the courage to try it again. His novels are always amazing but very tiring :/

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuha27 View Post
    I'm currently reading "Frankenstein" and have to read "The Giver" and "Digital Fortress" for AP English over the summer. Can anyone tell me is "The Giver" and good. I hear "Digital Fortress" is good because Dan Brown is awesome!
    I presume you're reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I have read, so if you want to discuss it or need help with it, I can try to discuss it with you or help you with it. I never took an AP english class, I was busy enough with math and science, but I probably could have taken an AP english class (as well as an AP history class too), as I love to read and understand stories really well (though at that time, my writing wasn't very good lol, and I hated to write as well at that time). Also, it's been a long time, so I probably don't remember too much about Frankenstein, but I know some of it's major concepts/themes, and maybe if you refresh me, I could recall it and be able to help or discuss it with you.

also, what do you think of it so far?, do you like it or not?, is it hard or boring to read? etc etc etc?

---------------------

I don't know anything about the other two books though. Except that The Giver has an award and thus is likely to be a great book, as that's why it was given the award, hehe. It's a pretty famous book.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; June 25, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member shuha27's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    "Digital Fortress" is to die for good believe me you wont regret reading that, but imo Dan Browns bestest are "Dav Vinci Code" by far and "angels and Demons" while "the Lost symbol" is insteresting but not quite as fun as the others, I'm only halfway through and ended up dropping it but will continue it soon when i get the courage to try it again. His novels are always amazing but very tiring :/
    LOL thank you =]
    I still have to read "Angels and Demons" and the "Da Vinchi Code" I will read them after I finish "Digital Fortress"

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    I presume you're reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I have read, so if you want to discuss it or need help with it, I can try to discuss it with you or help you with it. I never took an AP english class, I was busy enough with math and science, but I probably could have taken an AP english class (as well as an AP history class too), as I love to read and understand stories really well (though at that time, my writing wasn't very good lol, and I hated to write as well at that time). Also, it's been a long time, so I probably don't remember too much about Frankenstein, but I know some of it's major concepts/themes, and maybe if you refresh me, I could recall it and be able to help or discuss it with you.

also, what do you think of it so far?, do you like it or not?, is it hard or boring to read? etc etc etc?

---------------------

I don't know anything about the other two books though. Except that The Giver has an award and thus is likely to be a great book, as that's why it was given the award, hehe. It's a pretty famous book.
    Well I'm on chapter 18. I have to admit some of it is really boring but after the so called creature tells its tale its get better. The book is okay to me and sometimes it can be confusing at times as well. Sometimes I just try to get the book over with because I also have AP chemistry homework and Pre-Calculus homework over the summer but so far I get most of it.

Thank you so much and if I need help I will surely ask you =]
    Last edited by shuha27; June 26, 2011 at 02:21 AM.

New Reply
Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast