Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1199

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Requesting for book suggestions : A good novel where the main lead is cynical & only think about himself first... I mean the lead shouldn't act like some idealistic idiot & fight a battle for his friends/world. He should agree to use any dirty trick (like killing innocents) for his own personal goal without thinking about moral or any preachy stuff. No sacrifice for his loved ones, etc. Any genre is fine. Maybe someone like Tyrion or Arya from ASOIF

Thanks.

Noblesse Forever!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I can give you some fantasy recommendations. A famous example has to be the series called, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson. It's about a writer in our real world who gets leprosy and then is transported to a normal fantasy world. The main character Thomas Covenant is, to put it mildly, a bit of a dick and his actions on more than one occasion are outright evil. The series itself is quite well regarded but I have only read the first book (Lord Fouls Bane).

A more modern series is the Broken Empire Trilogy by Mark Lawrence. This series is excellent, it begins slowly but it gets better and better with each book. The main story is about a empire that is torn by civil war. The main character is a young man (a royal) who leads a group of outlaws/criminals across the destroyed empire in his quest to take the throne for himself. The young man has a dark and twisted past (murdered family etc) and has no morals. He does some quite fucked up things and doesnt give a shit about anyone else. Innocents are killed for fun etc.

Another series is the The First Law trilogy, like Broken empire its part of the new darker fantasy grouping that has come into the fore since ASOIAF became successful. I have yet to read it fully but from what I know it is similar to what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well, how about Crime and Punishment? it's not like the lead's a hero, btw. He's just crazy. haha.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    I can give you some fantasy recommendations. A famous example has to be the series called, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson. It's about a writer in our real world who gets leprosy and then is transported to a normal fantasy world. The main character Thomas Covenant is, to put it mildly, a bit of a dick and his actions on more than one occasion are outright evil. The series itself is quite well regarded but I have only read the first book (Lord Fouls Bane).

A more modern series is the Broken Empire Trilogy by Mark Lawrence. This series is excellent, it begins slowly but it gets better and better with each book. The main story is about a empire that is torn by civil war. The main character is a young man (a royal) who leads a group of outlaws/criminals across the destroyed empire in his quest to take the throne for himself. The young man has a dark and twisted past (murdered family etc) and has no morals. He does some quite fucked up things and doesnt give a shit about anyone else. Innocents are killed for fun etc.

Another series is the The First Law trilogy, like Broken empire its part of the new darker fantasy grouping that has come into the fore since ASOIAF became successful. I have yet to read it fully but from what I know it is similar to what you are looking for.
    Wow! Thanks a lot for all those suggestions I completed the first book in Broken Empire triology, and I'm on the middle of second book. I like the series. I will start other books after completing the broken empire series.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    well, how about Crime and Punishment? it's not like the lead's a hero, btw. He's just crazy. haha.
    I like crazy protagonists so thank you for the suggestion! ;-) Actually I'm just tired of simple heroes or anti-heroes... I like to see realistic protagonists. No real life guy will sacrifice himself for the world or anything like that, and neither will he allow himself to be treated like some pawn.

---

Still looking for more books with realistic main character and good plot Thanks.
    Last edited by strixflash; April 15, 2014 at 09:33 AM.

Noblesse Forever!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading the first hitchikers guide to the galaxy last weekend... Fun enough for a short book, I should be finishing it today or tomorrow at the latest.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mitokomon's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

sadly realistic behaviour is not usually given to the the characters in fantasy books, so i have to say imperium's suggestions look really good. When i have the time i'll definitely read them

One book i can recommend to you is the pledge. it's a crime novella which was a movie script written by the same author. But in the novel version the author criticizes crime novel genre and its elements. Without the beginning or the end it does feel like your normal crime story, there is a killer, his victims and a detective set out to catch the criminal. But in the beginning the author explains his idea of crime stories having nothing to do with real life. And set out to make the story realistic author lets real life events play a huge part in the story and the characters react to these events as human beings rather than typical crime story characters, who are usually calm and collected. It's definitely a fascinating story thanks to the author's excellent writing.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Thanks...I will read it as well ASOIF has some realistic characters so I was hoping for more in fantasy genre

I am also looking for romance novels (no fantasy/super natural). Male MC would be preferred but female mc is fine as well if she is strong (I enjoyed The Grand Sophy where the female MC was a strong character).

Noblesse Forever!

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

A super fast and easy romance comedy read with Male lead, would be Love Story by Erich Segal. You can read it in one night or something.

There's the more recent Train Man, or originally "Densha Otoko" which was made into a Japanese live-adaption series. Unique experience reading off of forum posts (as in, the novel is a compilation of supposed real forum posts on 2ch) about a geeky guy posting his encounters with a particular girl and how people began to follow his posts about his encounters.

If you're still looking for some fantasy, try Neil Gaiman's works. And his heroes are usually the ordinary joes, and never preachy.

There's the Artemis Fowl series- it's a children's book I believe. But if you don't mind it, Artemis Fowl is pretty unconventional for a children's book: 12 year-old millionaire genius and criminal mastermind who, after some research, is convinced that leprechauns exist- thus he stages an elaborate trap to kidnap a leprechaun and get the gold.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to start reading Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind today. Besides that I just bought Gone Girl and Constellation of Vital Phenomena.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Started reading some alternative and controversial literature. Sex & Character by Otto Weininger, it's rather antisemitic tho ... also it basically is a big bashing on women. This one is Mein Kampf level controversy, funny enough reading Wittgenstein got me to read it.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I am going to start reading Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind today.
    I think your going to enjoy that. The Name of the Wind is one of the best new fantasy books to come out in a while. Top stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I rather hated Name of the Wind >_< Start was good with lead being smart & somewhat cynical, but after the lead got admission it totally went downhill. Nothing creative for me to even call it slightly original... heck it hardly felt like fantasy. The lead also started to annoy me. There was no plot development later on, and the writing was average. Male lead running after his love interest got really boring as it was just repeition for many hundred pages of same boring things without any development. The sequel is even more boring.
    Last edited by strixflash; April 25, 2014 at 03:45 AM.

Noblesse Forever!

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Really? I loved it through and through. Though several times the series left me emotionally devastated. So I'm almost glad I was reading them as they came out since it gave me like a year to recover.
    I'm not saying I didn't like The Deathly Hallows (absolutely loved it), I'm just saying that as I approached the end of the book, I knew that the series was going to be over forever and got really anxious about it. ...Then again, I wish that I would have just skipped over the epilogue. That I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Does anybody here know of any monster books?

By that I mean like the written equivalent of the movie Tremors? Or Predator, Godzilla, Jaws, The Blob, or anything like that. Something where you got people and something scary eating them (Ghost's don't count). I'm in the mood to find something like that and I'm not sure where to start.

It doesn't need to be award winning fiction for anything like that. A solid B-Movie in book form would be ideal.
    Attack on Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    I think your going to enjoy that. The Name of the Wind is one of the best new fantasy books to come out in a while. Top stuff.
    Yay! I was going to start reading Name of the Wind next, too so I'm glad to hear it's going to be good. It was suggested to me by my P-chem lab partner, who mentioned that even though it's a fantasy novel, the author seems to have a solid grasp on physics and chemistry to an extent. Looks very appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by strixflash View Post
    I rather hated Name of the Wind >_< Start was good with lead being smart & somewhat cynical, but after the lead got admission it totally went downhill. Nothing creative for me to even call it slightly original... heck it hardly felt like fantasy. The lead also started to annoy me. There was no plot development later on, and the writing was average. Male lead running after his love interest got really boring as it was just repeition for many hundred pages of same boring things without any development. The sequel is even more boring.
    Thanks for the review. I'll give it a shot anyway. I don't really need a flashy plot to keep me entertained. Grapes of Wrath is one of my favorite novels after all. As long as the writing is well done and the characters are interesting, I'm happy to stick with it.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Name of the Wind was is brilliant in my opinion. Really loved it, fun, interestingm exciting, well written and a very interesting world and setting. Simply amazing. Then came the sequel and pooped on everything.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night I read the best book. Cracked by Eliza Crewe.

It's protagonist is the most entertaining character, possibly ever. The whole thing is about a modern era half demon girl, who eat's peoples souls. Bad peoples souls...usually. So she's basically a serial killer but my god is she a charismatic one and an absolute joy to read about. Witty, hilarious, manipulative, and completely unapologetic.

Spoiler: This is a sample of what her dialogue was like. show

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    Attack on Titan.
    Ah yes, Attack on Titan...suffice it to say I'm not a fan of that one.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 04, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

New Reply
Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast