Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Most Beautiful Male 2013 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Game of Thrones; the only one from that list that I've read.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    I finally finished The Fellowship of the Ring! Now I have to decide what I'll be reading next.

The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers
    A Song of Ice and Fire : A Game of Thrones
    The Alchemy of Air
    Catching Fire

Take a vote! I really can't decide.
    If there's any doubt about wanting to read The Two Towers after just finishing Fellowship, that probably says a lot. I can't recommend Game of Thrones (not my flavor of fantasy) and I've never read "The Alchemy of Air".

So...Catching Fire, I suppose.

It's a quick, easy, and enjoyable read so I don't think you can really go wrong with that one.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Game of Thrones; the only one from that list that I've read.
    You should probably read Lord of the Rings before you die... Also, Ancy will like you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    If there's any doubt about wanting to read The Two Towers after just finishing Fellowship, that probably says a lot. I can't recommend Game of Thrones (not my flavor of fantasy) and I've never read "The Alchemy of Air".

So Catching Fire I suppose It's a quick, easy, and enjoyable read so I don't think you can really go wrong with that one.
    Aww haha. I'm not dissing Lord of the Rings at all. I'll definitely read Two Towers (considering many have told me it's the best in the trilogy). But I won't limit myself to that as my only choice just because I've finished Fellowship. I'm a slow reader, so I have to put a lot of thought into what I'll read next considering I'll be with it for a couple of months... Or possibly more.

I've already tried to start Game of Thrones. Didn't get into it really, but I'm definitely willing to try again.

The Alchemy of Air is a novel about two chemists. It revolves around the Haber-Bosch Process, which involves taking Nitrogen and Hydrogen and converting it into Ammonia, which is responsible for a vast majority of the fertilizer that makes food growth fit to feed the billions of people on the planet. Essentially, you're taking air and turning it into food. Hence, the title of the book "The Alchemy of Air". My inorganic professor recommended it to me.

Now that I think about it, I read The Hunger Games exactly a year ago on spring break. It makes me really want to read Catching Fire now. And I do have to get that one out of the way before the film is released.
    Last edited by Naomidee; March 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww haha. I'm not dissing Lord of the Rings at all. I'll definitely read Two Towers (considering many have told me it's the best in the trilogy). But I won't limit myself to that as my only choice just because I've finished Fellowship. I'm a slow reader, so I have to put a lot of thought into what I'll read next considering I'll be with it for a couple of months... Or possibly more.
    Haha, that's the opposite experience I tend to have. I'm a relatively fast reader with no sense of restraint when it comes to reading novels...especially fantasy novels.

I've already tried to start Game of Thrones. Didn't get into it really, but I'm definitely willing to try again.
    Something about it just doesn't tickle my fancy. Not sure if it's the way the characters are, or how gritty it is, or what's going on, but something about it caused me to set it down both times I tried to read it. Much to my various friends' dismay (I think I may literally be the only person I know who doesn't love it)

Now that I think about it, I read The Hunger Games exactly a year ago on spring break. It makes me really want to read Catching Fire now. And I do have to get that one out of the way before the film is released.
    It's a good read.

The 3rd book I have mixed feelings about but the 2nd book was solid.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally finished The Fellowship of the Ring! Now I have to decide what I'll be reading next.

The Alchemy of Air
    Catching Fire

Well, since you just finished the fellowship of the ring then the logical alternative would be the two towers. If you didn't like the fellowship that much then a break is not a bad idea so I would argue the logical choice is catching fire. The movie is due this year so you have a chance to read the book before everyone in the world makes a point out of spoiling the book for you. The movie is due November however in my experience postponing reading a book can easily make you forget altogether about it (for instance, years ago I read the three musketeers and 20 years after but never quite got to reading the man in the iron mask even though I have it on my book shelve). I can't particularly recommend the alchemy of air, never heard of it nor I can think of a rational approach to that.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The Alchemy of Air
    Catching Fire

Like people suggested, the logical choice is Two towers.

I actually thought Tolkien's way of writing made it even more excruciating to finish the trilogy. Out of the LOTR franchise, I loved the Hobbit best, being that there were so many things that happened in one single book, as opposed to the trilogy that followed that kind of stretched to eternity- add to the fact that Tolkien loved to describe every little thing in boring detail.

Excluding the hobbit, I would have to go with Return of the King as my favorite. Best culmination after an arduous epic.

Quote Quote:
    I'd have to say I love the tv adaptation more than reading the books. I tried to read up to book 2, but dear god, reading at my own pace just makes me frustrated like I want to tear the book apart.

because of you know, how he loves getting rid of EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER. It's more bearable with the tv series somehow, I can't explain why. But with the book you have in your power to read further and know in your heart that you're going to be disappointed, he just killed all your hopes. At least with the series when an episode ends, it ends. you'll have to wait a week to calm down.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should treat TLoR as only one book... for me it makes no sense to read the fellowship, stop, read the two towers, stop, etc

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    I think you should treat TLoR as only one book... for me it makes no sense to read the fellowship, stop, read the two towers, stop, etc
    Then you're asking me to read a 2000 page book without stopping. Makes sense to me to take a break. Decided to try Game of Thrones.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Without stopping? He didn't say read it in one sitting.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Then you're asking me to read a 2000 page book without stopping. Makes sense to me to take a break. Decided to try Game of Thrones.
    no.. you read on the pace that suits you best, still you should consider it a single book, IMO.
    game of thrones alone is almost as big as the whole LoTR
    anyway, game of thrones is a good choice

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

My copy of LoTR (German) has only 1200 pages and if i remember correctly, it´s been a while, i read it in approx 1 week. Some pacing issues here and there but regarding "world building", i have not read anything superior.

OT: Probably gonna start reading Dostoyevsky´s "The Idiot"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kirsty's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All time favorite books :

All of Tamora Pierce's books
    Beauty~ Robin McKinley
    All of Debora Geary's books (except the short stories)
    Harry Potter(series)~ you should know who wrote them
    The Secret Garden~ Frances Hodgson Burnett
    The Goddess series by Aimee Carter
    Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman
    Bound by the Heart~ Marsha Canham
    Sweet Venom~ Tera Lynn Childs
    Harper's Bride~ Alexis Harrington
    The Help~ Kathryn Stocket
    A Time to Love~ Gail Symmonds
    Rook~ Daniel Davis
    Pride and Prejudice~ Jane Austen

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently reading a memoir of someone with obsessive compulsive disorder. The title and author escapes me..

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Without stopping? He didn't say read it in one sitting.
    I didn't mean literally sit down and read the entire book at one time. I meant read the trilogy all in a row without reading anything else in between. Didn't think I was so vague that I had to clarify. My bad.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm back to my sci-fi mood!!

And I started the Dune saga...in chronological order...which means that I had to start with the trilogy about the Butlerian Jihad...it was prrretty good! Lots of interesting and likeable characters, and if you like the Dune world, then it's a good read...lots of religious fervor vs rationality going on, and I liked how the trilogy treated it as situational...the circumstance is what decides which idea is worth pursuing...cool!

So Sisterhood of Dune after that...one of the best sci-fi novels I've read as far as individual novels go...but it's the first in a trilogy, and it's the most recent entry in the universe and the ending was such a cliffhanger

And now I'm close to present times...I've seen the movies and played the RTS games, so I wasn't a complete stranger to the universe, so the original characters such as Vladimir Harkonnen and Leto Atreides are familiar...and the current trilogy is the immediate prequel to the original Dune...and so far it's really good...I'm very drawn into this whole universe, and I must say that so far I can recommend every book in this universe...so go read Legends of Dune trilogy and Sisterhood of Dune...

PS: I can't wait to get to the original novel

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 ... LastLast