Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1198

Thread: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

How far are you? I thought you were going to wait for me?

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You better hurry your ass up! I'm on page 271. And besides, you never agreed to that.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    You better hurry your ass up! I'm on page 271. And besides, you never agreed to that.
    I wouldn't until I had the book anyways.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. His first book, Blood Song got me really excited. It was one of the few self-published fantasy books that I felt could hold its own against major releases. He didnt reach the same heights with this sequel but it was still a strong book. So I am still looking forward to the rest of the series. I hope it doesnt do a mistborn and go on a downhill curve but he created such a strong lead and a great world, I can really see him getting back to his previous highs. Still a good book and worthy series to pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The House of the Scorpion (Nancy Farmer) is one of my favourite books, and it's no surprise that I read the whole novel in one setting. I was stoked that there's a sequel that was published last year; I'll definitely check it one out.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Name of the Wind.

Infatuation is a gross understatement.

That story demanded my attention and obsession.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

FUCK.

---------- Post added July 31, 2014 at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was July 30, 2014 at 02:36 AM ----------

So I made a deal with my sister that if she reads The Name of the Wind, that I will read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. The movie is coming out in October, I think, and she really wants to see it, so I'll have to read the book first as it is.

It's about 415 pages and I'm currently on page 50. I think the author is certainly a good writer, but I don't particularly enjoy her style. We'll see where it goes.

---------- Post added August 03, 2014 at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was July 31, 2014 at 02:30 PM ----------

Soooo page 220. I love the character Amy. I can't tell you why, since it would be a huge spoiler. But she's definitely my favorite character.

Still not a huge fan o f the writing style though.

Bushy Brows MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Started reading more Macedonian literature, currently reading "Zora zad Agolot(Dawn behind the corner)" by Dimitar Solev. It's a book about the Bohemian lifestyle of artists, professors, doctors and such in the restaurant "Zora(Dawn)", filled with irony and satire it illustrates the main protagonist stalking everyone that goes into his fathers restaurant with a periscope he build himself from the house of their balcony. Sometimes people pass the day stalking the lives of others when they have no life of their own, such a nice story for some of todays life in Macedonia even tho set in the mid 20th century.
    Last edited by Josef K.; August 04, 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Read The Way of Kings and it was bad. Not as bad as Kingkiller Chronicles of course but still not a good read.

All the battles were predictable in WOK, and they were rather done poorly seeing the battles of such length have to be epic in scale, and I think Sanderson considers himself more witty & funny than he is. Don't know why every character in book consider Shallan as witty!

Kaladin & his past is full of clichés which made him annoying. I guess I just hate plain black & white characters.
    Last edited by strixflash; August 05, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to hear why you think Kingkiller Chronicle is bad... Actually, only talk about The Name of the Wind, since I don't want spoilers for The Wise Man's Fear... I thought the book was smartly written if not only beautifully written. Not to mention, it was refreshing to see a fantasy author that acknowledged the existence of science, and seemed to have a good grasp on many of the scientific concepts he introduced. The plot moved naturally and kept me very interested the entire way through. I sacrificed a lot of sleep for that book.

I think my only complaint about the book was that the main character was a little too good at everything. Kvothe has his flaws, but I felt like (at least young) Kvothe was too much of a powerhouse. Of course he is a little shit, so I guess it balanced out to some extent.

Anyway, I just finished Gone Girl this morning. I thought it was a good read and that Amy and Nick and cast really well from what I've seen in the trailer. I'm not typically interested in missing person/murder/mystery novel genre, but it was quite good.

Dat twist.

Onward, to A Dance With Dragons!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Naomidee, I liked the Name of Wind till the first half (before he took admission). As for why I didn't liked it, well I found the writing bad. It seemed like novel had only one character in . Plus it was like author saying that lead is smart & cunning... I wanted author to show it and not say it (I hope you understand what I meant). Not to mention everything was pretty one sided... sometimes I thought author was a shonen writer. I didn't find it fantasy at all (except for the title of novel).Fantasy books have interesting characters (just not one male & female), interesting world building, conflicts, etc. For a moment I might even call book a fantasy but definitely not epic fantasy.

Lead impressing everyone with music was repeated so many times that it was annoying & it happens in sequel as well... too much text with less conten. Author just doesn't knows how to write such scenes I guess. Plus in both this & its sequel hundreds of pages are wasted with same content of lead searching for his love interest when with boring text.

You know the novel hardly felt like it was even researched. I always find it funny that authors uses real life scenery to describe the fantasy environment with same real life vegetation but when it comes to actual research (like real plants with healing property or plants which you can eat in forest for energy) authors don't do research at all... they just make new plants! LOTR has both die hard fans & critics but everyone agrees on one point that Tolkien did a lot of research on stars, rocks, etc... its fantasy elements made actual sense!

Magic following law of thermodynamics sounded interesting though not original but with all the cons novel had I didn't really liked it.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

In case you are interested for the real flaws in book please read this and this. After reading them you would find why I think writing was bad ^^

Noblesse Forever!

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa! Couldn't disagree more. I think the author did his research. In fact, I feel as though he had a firm grasp on what he was talking about all throughout the novel. Or rather... that he had actual experience with the science, music, and setting that he created. I mean, I'm a chemistry major. I've taken physics, biology, chemistry, and even some quantum mechanics classes. I can vouch for this guy. He at least has a good foundation/concept for what he's doing. And the author at least attempting to explain the workings of the magic involved? That's not something you see very often. Of course there is some hand-waving (every author does that, even text book authors), but overall he had sound reasoning and interesting concepts.

Could you be more specific with the plant thing...? I don't really get what you're saying there...

The passages from the novel can sometimes be wordy, that's true. I mean, it's a 700 page book, you have to commit. But I think you're completely wrong when you say nothing actually happens. The plot moves forward at a steady pace. Not too fast, not too boring.

The only point I agree with you on is that the book does lack strong secondary characters. For the first half of the book, however, this makes perfect sense. Kvothe is on his own for several years and literally has no friends. Makes sense that he's the center of attention. On the other and, I think Bast and Denna are pretty prominent and well-developed characters. From what I can tell, Denna get a LOTTTT of hate and I don't grasp why. I think it's the typical hate-the-main-female-character-love-interest-for-no-reason-syndrome.

Granted, I can only speak for The Name of the Wind. The Wise Man's Fear could be a piece of shit for all I know. ...Though I seriously doubt it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in science stream and I can tell you that the novel isn't researched at all. Did you read the reviews I linked as they would help you understand why I hated it? Personally I didn't find any plot development or anything. Author don't even know how to write proper poems or songs in book. z Surroundings/World building is pretty non existent.

My plant thing reference was about how author use almost every real life vegetation in everything but when it comes to show his actual knowledge or to prove his research artist uses fictional plants, etc... Remember when the lead's parents die & he goes in self defence mode in wild forest and he eats non existent roots, plants, etc for healing & food? Had author used real life plants I would have call that author is an actual genius or that he actually researched in biology. I know most of authors do this (using fictional plants) but then we don't say that they are expert in bio & sci as well! Real life plants & roots existwith healing properties, etc... This drawback of author exist later on as well Author also didn't did his research on buildings structure, etc. In not a single thing did I ever felt author had done in his homework
    how
    I'm glad you enjoyed it though

Noblesse Forever!

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm a little confused. You say that it doesn't feel like a fantasy, and yet you get annoyed when he creates make-believe plants and drugs. Also, you say that the plot was slow moving, but I think most people that read the book would argue a lot of things happened. Maybe they didn't have much to do with the Chandrian (until the end), but that's one of the things I liked about the novel. In every other story, it seems like the main character gets a main goal "REVENGE! KILL THE CHANDRIAN WITHOUT STOPPING NO MATTER WHAT!", but in real life, people get distracted and dare I say it... Move on with life? I thought the story-telling was very candid but still maintained the elements of fantasy.

I'm sorry that the plant thing ruined it for you...? Are you a biology major? Maybe that's why. I don't really give shit about biology and botany. I was vastly more interested in the Fishery (material science) and magic (chemistry, thermodynamics, quantum ideas).

I did start reading the reviews you posted, but got really bored halfway through. I though the complaints were a little far-fetched and contrived. Granted, the things that bothered you in the novels could be completely irrelevant to me and vice versa.

I would still recommend this book to almost anyone that has at least a slight interest in the fantasy genre. Or just the general adventure genre I guess. *shrug* Disappointing to see you hated it.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

He seems to be a fantasy fan, so I'm curious if he's read A Song of Ice and Fire and whether he has similar criticisms. I've seen some reviews on Goodreads and found them absolutely ridiculous and laughable.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked ASOIF series as a whole though I feel the pace is pretty slow and the first & fourth book were rather below average. Third book (Storm of Swords) is one of my all time fav fantasy book. I don't have similar criticism for ASOIF as I had for kingkiller chronicles & Stormlight Archive ^^ ASOIF do share problem of same fictional vegetations but Martin have done his research on medevial castles, food, etc... (Only POV character I hated is Sansa Stark).

Noblesse Forever!

New Reply
Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 LastLast