Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Interviews with Kubo Tite

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jocouslie's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Word From Kubo???

ok guys here's the link
    http://animediet.net/archives/4349

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Silhouette's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post and links ^^

From the conference, things that make me respect/Admire Kubo sensei more:

1- Although he works on the all things related to bleach (manga, anime, games, products...etc), he still did 3-4 chapters in advance before leaving to attend the SDCC 2008. Thanks for your hard work sensei.

2- Will do an Isshin gaiden.

3-
    Quote Quote:
    1:45 PM - How do you draw action scenes? Plays rock music in his head as he draws it. He pauses the action and try to swing around in 3D mentally to find the best angle.
    With such incredible imagination, no wonder Bleach has the best fight scenes in all of Jump.

4- As described by one who attended the conference from the link above, Kubo-sensei's appearance:
    Quote Quote:
    he looks like one of those Asian pop star types. His hair had brown highlights, he wore sunglasses, a beige jacket with a black shirt underneath. All around “cool dude” look.

I have always read similar descriptions in the past from people who got to see him in Japan, I guess the cool-look isn't a temporary thing and no wonder he can create cool characters.

One last thing, if you google "SDCC Kubo Tite" or "San Diego Comic Con Kubo Tite" you will get the impressions of the people who were there...the coverage is almost the same though.

-------------------------

Quote Quote:
    Please consider the fact that this is an American interview in America the Manga hasn't progressed nearly as far. In fact I'm not to sure whether they've even reached HM. In other words they don't bootleg copies online like us
    I highly doubt it,

1- Most of the English bleach scanlation groups and fans are American based. As a matter of fact, asking if there will be an Isshin gaiden proves that the fans were aware of the latest gaiden.

2-If you got that impression based on the questions, I found that (by googling) that ALL the questions asked were pre-approved by the organizers so nothing ridiculous like "how many times do you poop a day?" or questions that would be spoilers in regards to Viz releases.
    Last edited by Silhouette; July 28, 2008 at 11:10 AM.
    CLICK SIGNATURE ABOVE FOR BLEACH & OP COLOURED PAGES

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't post the link earlier for you guys but in my defence I was sleeping ^^

Thanks Sillhoute but the reason I said that is because the Organizers had to at make it seem that most people did buy the American copies of BLeach. If this had been in Japan would have let much more advanced questions.

Also in America Isshin was shown wearing Shinigami clothe last chapter. Of course they're going to want a backstory of Isshin.
    ------------
    Anyways I'm kinda dissapointed by the lack of hard hitting questions(except for the Isshin question) but I'm pretty sure Kubo's last big interview was in 05 so I'll make do with what I've got.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Silhouette's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    If this had been in Japan would have let much more advanced questions.
    I don't think it would've made a difference where the interview is held, questions will be selected and pre-approved even in Japan. For example, when Bleach Movie II came out, most of the questions asked in a public interview with Kubo were about the anime and the movie.

Also in America Isshin was shown wearing Shinigami clothe last chapter. Of course they're going to want a backstory of Isshin.
    But the vizards were also introduced in Viz's releases and an even bigger mystery surrounded them, yet no one from the attendants asked Kubo senei about a vizards' gaiden!!!. As a matter of fact, asking about Isshin gaiden in specific without mentioning of the vizards strongly suggests the fans are up to date since Isshin's BG wasn't part of the vizards story.

Anyways I'm kinda dissapointed by the lack of hard hitting questions(except for the Isshin question) but I'm pretty sure Kubo's last big interview was in 05 so I'll make do with what I've got.
    So am I but I guess SJ upper management won't allow free lunches if they can.
    Last edited by Silhouette; July 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
    CLICK SIGNATURE ABOVE FOR BLEACH & OP COLOURED PAGES

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach Interview with Tite Kubo from English SJ magazine

There was an interview with Tite Kubo from the San Diego Comic Con that was shown in this month's English Shonen Jump mag, so I thought I'd write up what was said - it wasn't boring.

SJ: Did anyone inspire you to draw?
    Kubo: When I create characters, I'm inspired by music rather than stories, other manga or movies. The characters then create the story. So for me, my creativity comes from music.

SJ: Are any of the characters based on people you know?
    Kubo: Well, I haven't mentioned this before, even in the Bleach SOULs Official Character Book, but Kisuke Urahara is based on Snufkin. Snufkin is so cool. [The character appears in Tove Jansson's Mominvalley novels.]

SJ: You seem to use mythical content about death and the afterlife from Japanese folklore. Did any books influence you?
    Kubo: I can't point to a particular book, but one manga that influenced me when I was small was Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) which is based on Greek mythology. Because of it, I started looking into things like myths, monsters, and the afterlife. I was reading about them until around junior high school, so they might have been the basis.

SJ: What does Rukia's name mean and why is it written in katakana?
    Kubo: When I'm working, I jot down names in the margins of my notebook as they come to me. Once on TV, I saw the original type of cosmos in South America.
    SJ: You mean the flower?
    Kubo: Yes. The show mentioned the name of the flower in Latin or something - like "rukia." It sounded like "Kuchiki Rukia" to me, and I wrote this down. When I created the character, I thought Kuchiki really fit as a Soul Reaper name and called her Kuchiki Rukia. She had her full name from the very beginning. Later on, I learned that the word "rukia" means "light." She's like a ray of light for Ichigo, which makes the name really suit her. [The meaning of the kanji for Kuchiki is "decayed tree." When Kubo-sensei talks about light, he may be referring to the word "lucia."]

SJ: Why did you pick Bleach as the title?
    Kubo: The title wasn't Bleach when I decided to draw a story about Soul Reapers. This was before I drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe. Right before I started drawing, I began to think that a sword would be better and realized I couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. I began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Soul Reapers are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black." "White," on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So I chose "bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.
    [He also explained how he chose English chapter titles for the manga. He uses a dictionary to look up words that match his idea for the title, and often replaces a word with one that has a similar meaning but sounds better. Kubo-sensei didn't use a dictionary to choose "bleach" because the English word is already commonly used in Japan.]

SJ: Will you ever do an Aizen backstory?
    Kubo: Will I...? To be honest, I think part of Aizen's appeal is that he's mysterious. It probably wouldn't be good for his character if I revealed everything about him. If I felt the urge to tell, maybe I would, but I'm just not sure right now.

SJ: Does Captain Yamamoto have a larger plan for the Soul Society? He seems to have no problem with his captains dying.
    Kubo: Does he? I don't have anything planned for him right now. What's interesting about Genryuusai is you can never guess his true intentions. Among the captains, like Shunsui and Unohana, there are a few who appear to have something more to them, but for now I'll have to say it's all a secret.

SJ: Will we learn who will become captains in place of Aizen, Ichimaru and Tousen?

Kubo: Probably not anytime soon. Assistant captains lack certain abilities that captains have. I personally think the assistant captains need some time before they can become captains. Renji is a major character who's pretty powerful, but put him next to the captains and you'll probably notice that he's kind of erratic... and missing a noble quality. The captains are simply on a whole other level.

SJ: Will Kon ever get his own body?
    Kubo: I hadn't thought about it. I like him in his current body, and I think Kon likes it, too.
    SJ: He gets more attention in that body.
    Kubo: That's true.

SJ: Do you have any plans to make Ichigo and Rukia a couple?
    Kubo: I'm not going to confirm nor deny that. [laughs]

SJ: Which American superheroes do you admire?
    Kubo: I don't know of many American comic book heroes. I only know them from the movies, but appearance-wise, I thought Cyclops [from the X-Men] looked interesting. He can't take off the visor. When he does, his eye power is too strong and kills people - wasn't it something like that? I think that kind of setup is great because it's so dramatic.

SJ: What was the most impressive Bleach costume you saw?
    Kubo: There were actually two. One was Komamura, who had a wolf's face on when he took off his helmet. The other one was Neliel who was all in white. Those two costumes impressed me the most. I also saw a few Kons out there that were very cute.

7. Thanks 15 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interview with Tite Kubo from English SJ magazine

Amazing.
    I love what he says about Rukia's name origin, and now we finally know the real reason behind the title of the whole series.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Starky-08's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting weather or not IchiRuki will happen, which I hope it does because I want Inuoe to die.

Click Image to Join
    I'm in need of members! and Mods!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Darek Khort's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    Liked the Rukia name explanation, the title explanation (I always thought it had something to do with Ichigo's bleached hair. :< ) and the Yama part. AHA! So there is more to him than we know!!!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Pollux's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Good. Perhaps people will now stop arguing about the title's origins. I also liked the explanation of the origins of Rukia's name.
    Apart from that, nothing which would make us guess what will happen, which is quite normal because the manga has to remain interesting.
    [insert cool looking and funny signature here]

The French Hangout Thread is dead. Click here to revive it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    thanks for the interview, onomatopoeia ^^ but may i ask what your source is?

lol, it comes as no surprise to me that kubo places characters above plot. well, at least he's being honest about it
    Isn't it good that character is more important than plot? It's a bad writer that'll put the plot first and then shoehorn the characters into it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little disappointed by his comment regarding Aizen. I was hoping that he would eventually get to a small story about why Aizen is doing all of this. What made strive for his current goals? That is not to say I was expecting some long drawn out story of his having a tragic past, but I was just wanting Aizen's character to fleshed out somewhat more than what is now.

But of course, Kubo just says that he wouldn't reveal everything about him, which I suppose could imply that he will reveal something about him eventually down the road.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting him to give Aizen some sort of reason for this, but he never has. Aizen's a really 2d character, without any real emotions, personality, or a good backstory(yeah he was SHinji's lieutanant but that was all part of his plan so what we learned wasn't really unfiltered truth).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gigantor21's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree. Without any motives, he doesn't have much depth--no matter how strong or badass he is.

Still, this is world domination we're talking about. There are only so many reasons someone would want that, especially in a manga. I'm just hoping Kubo will surprise us there when the issue is addressed.

...WTF is Aizen smiling about? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Random YouTube Comment
    "Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Aizen simply has ambition. Maybe there is something else like a childhood trauma or something, but that would ruin the character for me. The way aizen has been portrayed now he is like a napoleon who simply want to rule.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigantor21 View Post
    ^ I agree. Without any motives, he doesn't have much depth--no matter how strong or badass he is.

Still, this is world domination we're talking about. There are only so many reasons someone would want that, especially in a manga. I'm just hoping Kubo will surprise us there when the issue is addressed.
    He hasn't said that Aizen doesn't have motives though, just that it would ruin the mystery of Aizen's character if we knew them. The fact that he said he might reveal them later but just not now implies that there is in fact something being held back.

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast