Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Q about transcriptions

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Emily00's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Q about transcriptions

Hey all I was wondering how important are pre-made transcriptions actually for people? I was wondering because I'm not good enough yet to translate, but I was thinking to start doing transcriptions to help me out (and hopefully help other people). Will it really be worth it for people?
    Thank you

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Q about transcriptions

Quote Originally Posted by Emily00 View Post
    Hey all I was wondering how important are pre-made transcriptions actually for people? I was wondering because I'm not good enough yet to translate, but I was thinking to start doing transcriptions to help me out (and hopefully help other people). Will it really be worth it for people?
    Thank you
    It's quite helpful to those that are doing common series, since it transcribes the chapter for them and all they have to do is translate it. (saves having to do the work of both)

But as their are more scripts I'm sure they'll be more people using them and appreciating them. (seeing as it just started out, it might take a while to kick in) But I can use all the help I can get in doing so . So yeah, if you're willing to, by all means

You'll also get put in the Translator Assistant Group for helping as well!
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do people really find transcriptions helpful? I always like to see what's going in context so unless the transcription includes who's saying what while doing what to whom I wouldn't find it that helpful. It might be a good way to learn, though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner boke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For translators, having a transcription makes looking up kanji you don't know soooo much faster since you can cut and paste it into a JE dictionary. Having the art available to understand context is important too, but looking up kanji is time consuming.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always useful to have transcript. If anything else, it makes it easier for another translator to check a translation without having to actually to search and download that particular chapter.

As for a learner as myself for example, I can use the transcript to learn how another translator translates the chapter. Especially when it comes to specific things like dialects or idioms.

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Transcripts are immensely useful for me... Makes going over my translations much easier, and it cuts down the time it takes for me to look up how I translated something (E.g. a term) in earlier chapters.
    - Semi-hiatus

Proofreaders 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Harun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Transcripts are very helpful, especially if you're using a CAT tool. You can get rough estimates of how much material has been translated in your TMs and TDBs. It really speeds turnaround up.

Cheers,

New Reply