Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: A Case of Mental Sadism - Changing Bonds With Shukuro Tsukishima

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Case of Mental Sadism - Changing Bonds With Shukuro Tsukishima

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share some thoughts about one of the more recent and popular characters, Shukuro Tsukishima. I find him to be a pretty interesting character.

I wrote about him at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/139...kishima-bleach

Here's the entry in a nutshell:

Quote Quote:
    It has been quite an interesting time for Tite Kubo’s BLEACH. The current “Lost Agent” (Volumes 49-current) arc has gotten some attention for seemingly rebooting the series and not hitting it off with some fans. The arc introduced even more new characters, including one whose power is extremely frightening when used for the wrong purpose: Shukuro Tsukishima. He is arguably a character that is on the same level as the previous antagonist of BLEACH, Sosuke Aizen, in terms of causing mental trauma towards anyone he targets. Tsukishima looks to be the perfect fighter that knows (and enjoys) the best way to destroy a person: by breaking them emotionally to the point of despair.

Tsukishima is a Fullbringer, a human being who has spiritual pressure and an ability where they utilize the soul of a treasured object for a variety of uses. Tsukishima’s Fullbring ability is known as Book of the End. He basically turns his bookmark (his treasured object) into a sword and uses it to insert himself into other people’s memories. If Tsukishima cuts you with Book of the End, you will be under his influence and remember him being in your life. He can alter anyone’s memories at will and to his liking. This ability along with his tactical battle knowledge makes him a very competent fighter. You can say he’s similar to Aizen, but Tsukishima appears to take complete joy in seeing his victims mentally suffer trying to sort out their memories because of his Fullbring.

Tsukishima appears to be a complete sociopath as he doesn’t care about his actions towards other people. Though you might wonder about the significance of the bookmark that Tsukishima treasures. How can a bookmark possibly make him ta sadist? Perhaps Tsukishima used books as an escape from any negative emotional experiences rather than talking to other people. In the story, he sarcastically threatened to kill his subordinate for making him lose his page while reading and even tells another Fullbringer to read more. Books are great, fun, and informative, but they cannot be the complete basis of one’s life. Life is cruel and it looks as if Tsukishima did not learn anything positive from reading to use in reality (though what kind of books did he enjoy reading?). Reading doesn’t mean much if you do it without a meaningful purpose. Combining possible emotional trauma along with constant escapism equals the making of a pretty wild individual.

Tsukishima inserts himself into all the memories of most of Ichigo Kurosaki’s close friends and family to enrage Ichigo. Orihime Inoue and Sado “Chad” Yatsutora both experienced a near-complete mental breakdown when Tsukishima tries to stack even more false memories into their heads. Why do certain people commit acts of emotional abuse? Some say it could be unresolved issues from childhood. They might also see themselves as victims. Narcissism is another key issue as being vain can lead someone to look down on other people. It could all come down to whether emotional abusers find it hard to face themselves and prefer blaming others for all their problems.
    Another theory to ponder is if Tsukishima is Kubo’s example of how emotional abuse can happen unexpectedly to anyone. What if someone you never met before decides to interject himself into your entire life? Teenagers (like Ichigo) can have a tough time dealing with emotional abuse. I wonder if Kubo is trying to tell young people to be wary of psychological confrontations close to home, not just physical confrontations. Sometimes, teenagers don’t think too much about how certain things can mess with their heads. For those who have followed this arc, what are your thoughts about Tsukishima’s purpose?

I do admit that there isn’t much we know about Tsukishima’s past, but I can say this: he represents someone who clearly lacks empathy. Tsukishima is an individual that we can relate to those who abuse others emotionally. What steps can we take to prevent emotional abuse? How can we help the abused and the abuser? With all the criticisms that Tite Kubo gets for his narrative at times, he really knows how to create enlightening characters that move us and Tsukishima is just another mysterious, cool character in the diverse character library of BLEACH to fascinate over.

So, how many bite marks has Tsukishima left on your psyche?
    I know everyone here has different opinions about Tsukishima, but does everyone think that he should stay alive for a bit longer?
    Last edited by tonyyao82; December 09, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Case of Mental Sadism - Changing Bonds With Shukuro Tsukishima

He should live because he is potentially the most dangerous character. He could have cut Aizen or Yamamoto and changed their pasts so that he would have trained with them for a thousand years, actually becoming as strong as them, or cutting Ichigo and make it so that both became trascendentals together. Also, he is a creep.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I mean, he was on the 10th anniversary promotion art along with Ginjou. He has to have some importance going forward. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Ginjou flashback featuring Tsukishima pretty soon.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What I actually think that is going to happen really soon is that the scar he has over his left eyebrow was self inflicted with his sword, so when he dies it will create a paradox, reviving him. Not so far fetched considering reality, time or space don't apply with him.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, that scar. I wondered how he got it. It could be from a Hollow since all Fullbringers have been contaminated by them.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsukishima does not actually changed what happened in reality, he merely alters the target's memories by inserting himself. He can't create real paradoxs, he can create them only within people.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Tsukishima does not actually changed what happened in reality, he merely alters the target's memories by inserting himself. He can't create real paradoxs, he can create them only within people.
    He actually insets himself in the past, it's not just inserting himself in their memories. That's the reason why everybody believed him to be working alone, why he could alter the battleground by cutting it and become as strong and fast as Byakuya.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok a question, couldn't "altering" the past be altering the future in this case of reviving himself? If he were to have cut himself before (the scar) and implanted himself (and as far as we know, his alteration can go back endlessly) so couldn't his alteration go to the future and insert himself endlessly as if immortal? idk if i got what i was thinking across D: im sorry
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hossice View Post
    Ok a question, couldn't "altering" the past be altering the future in this case of reviving himself? If he were to have cut himself before (the scar) and implanted himself (and as far as we know, his alteration can go back endlessly) so couldn't his alteration go to the future and insert himself endlessly as if immortal? idk if i got what i was thinking across D: im sorry
    Wild idea, but I was thinking that the scar is pretty obvious on him, so maybe if he cut himself so that he would die, getting killed by someone else would create a paradox or something. I don't know.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm interesting. so he made it so only he could kill himself?

There was a philosopher who stated that the way we think about the past can be the same way we think of the future. as the events have already happened or for the future sake, are going to happen and are predetermined. In this case, if he were to alter the past, which in turn alters the future, these actions would have to take place. Say he did plan on dying by someone else's (in this case byakuya) hand, but gets revived by someone or something, this is bound to happen as it has already been predetermined. Or some other factor comes into play? idk just spitting out ideas late at night xD hahaha
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty interesting theory, though I do think that scar might have come from a Hollow and not by Tsukishima's own hand.

New Reply