Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 by cnet128 , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Emery's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

What is your stance on editing SFX? Personally, I think it makes the manga look a lot more professionally-done, and gives a better all-around reading experience.

I've edited a page of One Piece - version one is with the Japanese SFX, and version 2 is with the English SFX.

With Japanese SFX:
    Spoiler show

With English SFX:
    Spoiler show

So - post your thoughs/views on the subject. Would you perfer the SFX edited? Would you like to see more SFX editing in scanlations?

Let's hear it.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

Personally, I don't care. Most of the time I don't even read the SFX, and consider them just part of the background.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm for me , i dont really care about it too... though if the SFX is on the bubble, it would be more pretty if it were translated. Though it doesnt matter really,... and as GGpX said... i doubt ppl will care , really
    Lifeless

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a scanlator, but I only read SFX if the scanlator requests it to be translated. *shrug*

As for editing the SFX, I would say it depends. Though I had never work on scanlating manga before, I still think if it is hard for the scanlator to redraw, or it will take a very long time in redrawing and typesetting into the SFX, then just forget about doing translated SFX, or at most, just write the SFX down on the white space between panels, since I had seen a scanlation group that takes months and months just into trying to do translated SFX. - -"

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Digitalr's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well sometimes SFX look silly. Like when someone gets slapped it gets translated and edited as "slap" ... then it's just stupid. Might as well put a message in the margin saying "SFX: Person gets slapped" or something similar.
    Some people think it looks more professional, while others feel that editing the SFX hurts the original artwork. Basically it depends on what you prefer.
    Last edited by Digitalr; March 21, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Emery's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ju-da-su View Post
    I'm not a scanlator, but I only read SFX if the scanlator requests it to be translated. *shrug*

As for editing the SFX, I would say it depends. Though I had never work on scanlating manga before, I still think if it is hard for the scanlator to redraw, or it will take a very long time in redrawing and typesetting into the SFX, then just forget about doing translated SFX, or at most, just write the SFX down on the white space between panels, since I had seen a scanlation group that takes months and months just into trying to do translated SFX. - -"
    Which group would that be? I don't know many groups besides mine that edits SFX, and it only takes four of us around 4-5 days to completely edit 60-70 pages.

Anywho,

Leaving the SFX untranslated is fine for some manga, like Bleach, Naruto, etc. But, for a good lot of manga, translating the SFX helps you know what's going on better. Something might be going on in a panel that you can't quite make out, and the SFX clarifies it for you. Take a car moving, for instance. You can't actually see the car in motion -- it's a manga page. That's why mangaka add SFX -- to aid the reader and give more life to the manga.

If you see a car in a panel with SFX, it's probably going to have one of three sounds;

"Rumble" - The engine starting,
    "Vroom" - The car in motion,
    or "Screech" - the car putting on the breaks/stopping.

I know, cars are a rather miniscule example, but, that's all it is -- an example. There's tons of better ones.

The fact is; Sound effects are part of the manga, and, in my opinion, they should be treated as such and translated, whether it be by editing them out, redrawing, and replacing them with their English onomatopoeia counterparts, or by "subtitling" them.

Quote Quote:
    Well sometimes SFX look silly. Like when someone gets slapped it gets translated and edited as "slap" ... then it's just stupid. Might as well put a message in the margin saying "SFX: Person gets slapped" or something similar.
    If you understood Japanese, you'd probably feel the same way about some of the Japanese SFX.

"PaChiChiChiChi"
    "Gogogogo"
    "Dukon!"
    "Sa~~~"
    "Bun"
    "Poki"

...there's all kinds of weird stuff like that.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the manga. Most of the time they're pretty redundant, but sometimes they help create a mood when there's little dialogue.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Esc.'s Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, a real HQ is only when you edit the sfx, and it actually makes a difference if you believe it or not.

But as per above responses, no one cares I guess, and taking way too much time on a 2 spread page sfx, and redrawing it all over is just a pain when no one cares.

It's really up to you in the end though.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of leaving the SFX in their original language (in every kind of Comic). I can't imagine my old Marvel comics with German SFX, they're all using the original English ones. The Ducktales books have edited SFX but this is somehow understandable since it's aimed towards children in the first place. I could see why someone wants to replace them in Kodomo manga like Digimon for this reason, although I think that a translator note is enough.

But removing Japanese SFX for an older target audience? Although I can read many Asian characters by now but even before, I simply love the mood of a Manga, Manhwa or Manhua with original SFX. First and foremost it gives the Manga this "Asian" feeling. Seeing the Japanese characters on every page reminds me what kind of Comic I'm reading and particulary in Manga with a a typical Japan setting (Samurai, Japanese society,...) it simply fits fantastic the overall artwork.

That's also another point, it's clearly a part of the artwork to me. Maybe I read to many Shoujo but some Mangaka put a lot effort in beautiful looking SFX. Often they are integrated in the panel artwork (like the problem in the other thread having the SFX in speedlines) and altering them in such cases means to alter the original artwork as well. I prefer the scanlation to be as close as possible to the original and there are Manga where you need to often meddle with the artwork just to replace the SFX - why not mirror the whole thing in the same go and make it completely look like a Western comic?

For many fans of Manga the (repeating) SFX become easy to know after a while. Even without knowing any Japanese, thanks to small translator notes you start memorizing them. And hey, that's educating! Every Shoujo fan knows "doki doki", how would the Manga world be without knowing such terms? It's part of the fan culture, imho.

My honest opinion about editing SFX? It doesn't look more professional at all to me. To be more specific: It destroys a part of what I like about Manga, the feeling, the artwork, the knowledge. What gives me a professional impression is when the scanlator manages to set the small SFX translations notes in a way that they're not disturbing the overall artwork and flow of the Manga but still easy to catch while reading.

I think that's (especially in Manga without clear panel lines) often a harder challenge then simply editing them out, but it's really worth it, imho. The result satisfies the little Otaku in me a lot more.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chiresakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This issue just came up with one of the groups I clean for, so I'll pitch in my two cents. Several months ago, we asked around to see if people preferred original Japanese SFX or translated English SFX, and the majority of people who responded said they liked the the Japanese SFX or didn't notice. They thought it was part of the original artwork, liked the Japanese "feel", or didn't pay much attention anyway, etc...

So we decided that the amount of time spent on redrawing, finding a suitable font, and adding whatever patterns or effects needed to be added wasn't worth the outcome. For most SFX, we now just have translations along the margins (or in a blank area when there are no margins). Depending on who is translating your SFX, this is good for when the translation isn't just a short, simple 'Step' 'Bam' or 'Whack.' No one needs to see 'DISAPPOINTED' splashed across a panel :P

Also keep in mind that there is the problem of translating between cultures. Japanese simply has more 'sounds' for things. I don't think I ever thought about a standard English sound for rain falling until I started translating SFX for Shannaro... Pitter patter? Drip drop? Fshshshshshsh? Sometimes, there IS no good translation, and it's best to leave the original Japanese (i.e. Nii-san vs. Brother or even worse, Big Bro).

Anyway, if you're happy having 4 people spend 4-5 days on redraws, and you're satisfied with the final product, then you should keep it up. Ultimately, this is between the scanlation group and its readers.

And if you ever find yourself getting bogged down by redraws, missing deadlines, and dreading typesetting the SFX, then maybe it's time to consider margin notes As long as it's done well and consistently, it can still be of high quality.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bludshock's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal preference is to leave the giant SFX overlaying artwork intact (tl in margin) but I'll typeset the sfx that are in bubbles (ie: 'Plunk' on your page). Sometimes I'll do things like Zoro unsheathing his sword on your page since it's fairly easy - unless it looks awkward.

I'm on the "not worth it" bandwagon though. While your job looks really nice it just doesn't seem right without the Japanese SFX.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Digitalr's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think the recent Manga-updates poll answered your question quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga-Updates
    Previous Poll Results:
    Question: How do you prefer your translated sfx? (The sound effects like "ba" or "doki doki")
    Choices:
    Left alone (not translated at all) - votes: 977 (12.8%)
    In a glossary (at the end of a chapter) - votes: 237 (3.1%)
    In the margins - votes: 3062 (40.1%)
    Beside the original sfx (so you see both original and translated together) - votes: 1858 (24.4%)
    Overlaying the original sfx (right on top of the original) - votes: 224 (2.9%)
    Replacing the original sfx - votes: 1271 (16.7%)
    source

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I just find myself disliking stupidly translated SFX most of the time I really don't care and there are lot which are guessable!

An sfx next to a running persons foot well it'll most likely be an sfx denoting the footfall and do I really need to know that a flag is flapping in the wind?
    If you have the sfx in the margins and there is loads of it on one page it just looks sooo sloppy and all crammed for space.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Waeyen's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    I don't care. Most of the time I don't even read the SFX, and consider them just part of the background.
    Nothing more to at
    The Japanese SFX are the best

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I am a fan of untranslated SFX but maybe just having a note or something with how the sound should be read...
    Even if some people won´t care, the SFX is actually part of the art, in most cases it won´t be that essential but there are cases in which the SFX is really-really- important, some cases I recall are Air Gear (The SFX look like graffiti art), Dr. Slump (The SFX really give it a funny feeling, dunno how to explain) and 666 Satan (When a character used SFX to attack).

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast