Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ddadain's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

The big flaw about Japanese SFXs is that it's not phonetically "literal" unlike those of English, when romanized. One needs the knowledge of Japanese culture and which "SFXs" corresponds to which sound-action.

ZZZzzz

Of course, there's no real need to translate SFXs because the vast majority of readers just ignore them *95%+*. True to my peckish-nature, I'd still greatly appreciate translated SFXs because in a way, it gives the image atmosphere... context!
    ¤

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Yabe's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

When I read Phase3's Beck (and if I don't miss a thing I believe you've translated all SFXs and typesetted them in English) I didn't feel bothered by the changed art. It was cool, I felt good that I knew everything that was going on with the story; the work looked perfectly done, and comparing with the scanlations without SFXs typesetted in English (or into the language which I can understand), I feel more "in" with the action with the first.

But I admit what was said about educating is good and true. And I think if I'm familiar with Japanese more than this, I also wouldn't like the original art to be altered so much. Moreover, I'm sure I wouldn't mind the scanlations to come out faster.

So, as a reader/consumer, I would say it's trival for myself and vastly is up to each scanlators' feelings and their scanlation's aims.

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

It kinda depends on the group. I have done English SFX in the past, but quickly dropped it because it really too me too much time (by far the biggest timeshare goes into editing and redrawing the SFX). Nowadays for any group I only do the bubbled SFX and <some> backgroup SFX if they are really important (or are bubbled in on other panels).
    Pretty In Pink Party

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Japanese SFX, as said before it may look silly and such if you translate it and it takes a lot of time.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Liete87's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Translating sound effects really just takes to long, its easier to just mention what they mean in a note.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member THE KING's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely looks better, but delays a release since it'll need a lot of redrawing.
    Plus as stated by most of u, not a lot of people pay notice.

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

just make your own sounds

"vrooom" sounds better than Buzaaa"

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a katakana chart in the end/beginning of every release. People will get it eventually.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nvrbnacmp's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

i like it better left untranslated..
    gives the feel of "Japan" for me...
    and it's not ard to read katakana and hiragana...
    IMHO.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

This topic has been rather dead for some while, but I just wanted to add my opinion through responses to other posts in the thread ^^

Quote Quote:
    Ultimately, this is between the scanlation group and its readers.
    Quote Quote:
    It kinda depends on the group.
    Ultimately, this is between the editor and the scanlation group. The readers do not fit the equation; unless you are a mindless drone who do scanlation for the "praise" (sic).

As I see it, you work in scanlation because you love the work, and the best way to show your love is to do what you love and work on what you want to learn or improve. If that, personally, is to be better at redrawing SFX, then do so.

So in my opinion it is weird to ask what the readers want. If I want to spend my time working on something, and like to edit SFX, then I will.

Of course, there are some basic rules going around here. One of them is to *NEVER* do SFX for a series that uses its SFX as a way to express its art if you are not capable of transforming the SFX to look almost the exact same but transliteratively morphed into English.

By this, I mean to put in as much work so that the SFX looks as natual as before, and not like some plastic font plastered over the page. And no, adding some fisheye warping to the text string does not help you; in fact, it looks quite bad.
    If you want it to look better you have to let go of your belief that you can just slap on a nice/cool font with some resizing and warping and everything will be all right. Rasterize that text and grab your brush and alter it to the style of the original.

So in my opinion, it depends on the series and the editor and what rules the (potential) group has. And unless you are a very good typesetter and redrawer, the SFX of the original series should be rather plain (non-comedic, unexpressive), to practice on.

I am okay with people attempting to replace SFX well, but there is nothing worse than seeing releases with completely made up translations or styles of the SFX that mean or look nothing like the original.

When replacement of SFX is done well, it can look absolutely awesome. But when it is done simply because the group has that as a rule and does it for the sake of doing it, it often looks completely malplaced and captures nothing of the original spirit of the series. "12 Ton Goldfish," anyone? (See GenericShoujoGroup#74).
    Last edited by Stmated; February 06, 2009 at 08:53 AM.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as a leech, I think manga looks awesome with scanslated SFX. But most of the time I don't even notice when the SFX has been left in, I'm more concerned with what is actually going on in the story.

Speaking as a translator/scanslator, I hate translating them and I hate editing them. Nothing makes my motivation wilt faster than working on inconsequential things. The only time I'll bother is 1. If it's very important to the story that the SFX are understood and 2. If I'm in a very good mood and the SFX doesn't require redrawing.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it depends on the series and the SFX, for a series like Bleach the SFX are almost part of the art so I would never touch them, but if they seem just kinda slapped on like in Gantz then I might translate them.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wouldn't translate them, but that's mainly because we're doing completed series.
    It'll just take too much time, time we could spend on doing the next chapter.

And for ongoing series:
    Well, I think it's better to have the sfx replaced.
    But I won't complain if they were left unchanged.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member L0ki's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Translated sfx just look crappy to me, and in the vast majority of cases the sfx themselves are completely irrelevant so even a side note would be a waste.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I didn't know that so many people are so callous when it comes to SFX.

Maybe the mangakas should just stop putting SFX in their manga, right? Apparently, most readers could care less. I mean, it's not like the mangakas put SFX in the manga for a REASON!?

I pay a lot of attention to the SFX. It really sets the atmosphere up for whats happening in the story. Otherwise, you're just looking at dialogue and pictures. Basically, manga is 2-dimensional without SFX.

I dislike reading manga that has SFX left untranslated. I feel like there's too much that I'm missing. What I like is when there are translations of the SFX in the margins or next to the original Japanese.

Mangakas ask that the SFX in English translations of manga in the U.S. (ie, tokyopop, viz, etc.) be left as is in the panels because the SFX is part of the art. So to compensate we get small translations that are often next to the original SFX. They do this for a reason.

I mean, c'mon! It can't be a comic book or manga or manhwa without SFX! It's just a picture book without 'em (or at least a translation).

Basically, SFX is important. And shouldn't scanlations be more for the readers than personal enjoyment or money? Put some **** effort into it! Haha, just kidding, I know how time consuming and daunting cloning and redrawing can be, especially with SFX.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast