Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Unproductive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for scanlators and leechers alike! Translated SFX or no?

I would say that this depends on the SFX. The majority of SFX represent sounds from action in the frame such as the slamming of a door, collision of two objects, or the sound of something dropping in water would be unnecessary for enjoyment. They're largely inferred by the action and translation is mostly unnecessary. But take pride in your work!!! And do it anyways!

Sounds from action off scream should be translated if there is meaningful impact.

Another class of sfx are more descriptive, and they provide more information like the tone of a person's laugh or crying, the physical posture that someone is assuming, or the state of someone's emotions. These should all be translated.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosetsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with "scanlations" nowadays, they're inconsistent. Everything looks different from page to page, the same is with effects. They edit out the easier ones (I.E ones the find "meaningful.") and leave the harder ones in, so you have a page that's half and half, which is stupid. In my opinion, it's all or nothing - edit all, or edit none.

Anyway, in my opinion, unless you redraw the effects somewhere exactly like what the artist had, it's just going to look like crap anyway. And by redraw, I mean actually drawing out the effect with a brush or something alike, not just pasting some font you found online across the page.
    Last edited by dosetsu; July 26, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member emer's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalr View Post
    Well sometimes SFX look silly. Like when someone gets slapped it gets translated and edited as "slap" ... then it's just stupid. (...)
    Just what I think and also the reason why I actually prefer original SFX, but maybe with a small note (if the SFX itself covers a whole frame or somehow seems important to the story).

But editing and replacing all outside-bubble SFXs...naah.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For my group, we usually leave SFX alone, though some things (usually those in bubbles of their own) get translated. When I did Angel Heart for Evil_Genius, I'd put a note in the margins for the SFX (occasionally slipping in a few things to make people smile, too). It depends on personal preference, really. I happen to like the Japanese SFX, except when I have to clean them. :v

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Unproductive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I get flamed for my viewpoint? WTF

Anyhow, there are two classes of sfx. Ones that directly reflect a sound that is happening and ones that reflect mood or action. They're expressed differently. Ones depicting sounds are in katakana. Theses come out to "slam," "knock," etc. The ones reflecting mood and actions are usually in hiragana. These come out to "smirk," "twist," "silence," "fidgety," etc.

The two look completely different and they have different levels of importance to the plot. But hey that might just be only me.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wade69's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

No one flamed you...

The only time I do the sfx's are the ones in the bubbles all of the others should just be left alone or have a little note by them to tell us what sounds that its making.

Such a waste of time and effort everytime someone redoes a bigg sfx. Heck most of the time it just ends up looking worst.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PitylessEnvy's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a huge waste of time, but then so is scanlating in general. If you're willing to let a hobby take up that much of your life then be my guest, just know that most people don't even care.
    http://theprojectscans.21.forumer.com/
    ^The Project Scanlations

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3