Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do You Get Flak For Being A Fan of Anime/Manga?

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do You Get Flak For Being A Fan of Anime/Manga?

Thought it would be a nice idea to revive the thread because I think this is a pretty interesting discussion - how much flak do you get because of reading manga/watching anime? Has anything changed in the last years?

As for me I can talk too a few friends, at least about One Piece and Naruto. Some of them are reading or watching it so I can actually discuss developments but besides that I feel rather uncomfortable talking about anime/manga. I feel like most people here still see it as something childish, something that can never reach the quality of a book just because it's not all texts

And this seems to be something that's not just related to my environment. I've watched a few different documentaries about japanese culture and they all describe it as something childish, a way to run away from reality. They don't understand and I feel like they don't even want to. I honestly think that it's a shame manga in general is so underrated and regarded as something for little kids - at least that's what a vast amount of people all around the US and Europe seem to be believe.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few friends who read manga/watch anime so I haven't gotten any flak from them. Surprisingly enough it's my brother who I prefer not to discuss my interests with. He introduced me to several series I'm a huge fan of, but for some reason he stopped watching/reading completely and has chosen to hate all things anime-related. I reckon it's the otaku fandom he's not fond of, but he could still watch/read without venturing into that side of fan culture.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread.

I'm grateful because I never get any flak or whatsoever from my friends / family members, since I rarely talk about or expose my interest in manga / anime to them, unless the person whom I talk to is also interested. Of course, I have encountered some of my friends who said that such thing are "not for people around my age" anymore, but since they didn't say it in an offensive or serious manner, usually I just laugh and walk away / move on to another topic to avoid meaningless debate.

Also, it is probably because in the country where I live in, Manga and Anime are inseparable part of your childhood, whether you're an otaku or just a casual observer, especially for people who were born during 80s or 90s onward. I dare to bet that the majority of Generation Y and Generation Z were watching and reading Doraemon or Dragonball at least once in their lifetime.

It's kinda personal opinion, but I disagree with people who're saying that manga/anime is "childish" or "a way to run away from reality". Isn't that also the purpose of Novels or movies, which are considered "normal" from their perspective? It's ridiculous when people give negative remarks for something they don't know well.
    Last edited by Doraku; July 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get much actually... almost everyone I talk to are anime/manga fans, so I never had any problems. However, being a J-pop and K-pop fan gets me a lot of unwanted hate. Don't really worry about it myself, but I've seen a lot of other fans take it seriously and not talk about anime/manga in public ever... like my big bro. Where I live it seems a lot of people are getting into anime and manga so it's not really too bad.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had any issues directly but around me was alot of crap. In 5th and 6th grade there was this girl who read inuyasha all the time and would sometimes get flask, but I'm sometimes not sure if thats because she'd have a tendancy to over talk about it when no one else wanted to of if everyone else was being a dick(It was pretty 50/50 and sadly, I was one of those people sometimes before getting into anime*Even after being a fan I'm still not into inuyasha tho XD*) Eventually in 7th or 8th grade I got into Gash bell and I was enjoying that alot I'd fanboy sometimes, but it also brought out the ultimate sense of karma because I had to keep my mouth shut in school. I was already considered childish before for drawing cartoons so I had to keep my mouth shut, though later before graduating I found a few people who were fans, but were smart about it, though it never really took off anywhere.

Freshman year was pretty mixed. Being a anime fan was the least of my worries then because it would just mostly be you're a fan or your not. Now I have no issues with school but I sadly don't have any friends in real life to talk to about anime/manga with.

With my family my mom respects my hobby(and has seen some herself through me, she loves summer wars and is a huge One Piece fan but I'm having difficulty with FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood and her... at least she likes the elric brothers XD) and my sister makes slight jokes about it but nothing really offensive.

So overall I'm pretty safe. At this point in my life I think I'm set to be prepared of any future flanking considering anime/manga is my only source of entertainment now, but considering I want to work in the animation & media industry anyway, I doubt it should be THAT bad.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    It's kinda personal opinion, but I disagree with people who're saying that manga/anime is "childish" or "a way to run away from reality". Isn't that also the purpose of Novels or movies, which are considered "normal" from their perspective? It's ridiculous when people give negative remarks for something they don't know well.
    People who're saying that manga/anime is childish are people who don't know anything about the scene but the largest franchises like Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Dragon Ball and from that perspective, as I watched some anime on tv as a kid, without knowing it was anime, I can agree on that statement. But show them School Days, Durarara or Black Lagoon and they'll change their mind. It's all about what has been exposed to the so called "general public". For example, if all I knew about American TV were Jersey Shore and the Kardashians and someone said "I love American TV" I'd probably scoff at them and tell them it's brainless shit, but if all I knew were Suits and The Wire I'd hug them and never let go because it's fantastic TV.

You see what I'm saying?

And about the "It's ridiculous when people give negative remarks for something they don't know well." <- We all do that, be it about a show, a band, a person, a country, a religion, whatever. It's called being narrowminded and we all are to some extent. And you judge based on what you know. If all you know about anime is Sailor Moon, then you ain't gonna be like "Oh, yeah, anime. Good stuff, especially for adults." nor would you spend time researching anime as you're most likely not interested in it unless someone shows you an anime that fits your preference.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blai View Post
    People who're saying that manga/anime is childish are people who don't know anything about the scene but the largest franchises like Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Dragon Ball and from that perspective, as I watched some anime on tv as a kid, without knowing it was anime, I can agree on that statement. But show them School Days, Durarara or Black Lagoon and they'll change their mind. It's all about what has been exposed to the so called "general public". For example, if all I knew about American TV were Jersey Shore and the Kardashians and someone said "I love American TV" I'd probably scoff at them and tell them it's brainless shit, but if all I knew were Suits and The Wire I'd hug them and never let go because it's fantastic TV.
    I regret that my statement was too short

Yeah, that's what I was implying when I wrote "It's ridiculous when people give negative remarks for something they don't know well" because they only judge anime and manga from what you have said as "general public" products. Sadly, it is almost impossible getting Berserk or Blade of the Immortal anime broadcasted by national television without getting major cut.

For your second statement, honestly I don't deny the existence of people who are not into anime and manga,either. I know every people have their own preference on what they suppose to like or hate, but what I'm trying to insinuate is people who compassionately hate manga or anime so much, but they know nothing about them. I don't know how to give this example in manga/anime world, but let me give you this example : I don't like Bieber. I never heard his song intentionally even once in my lifetime so far. But I won't even bother to give comments (especially on the internet, where freedom of speech mostly upheld) such as : "OMG Bieber is so g4yz" etc. I don't know shits about Bieber. My knowledge is extremely limited about him, thus, I know that I should not judge him merely based on what I know.

In the end, I believe the discussion on "whether you should judge something" is back to your personal opinion. If you hate something so much, I guess I understand why you could not hold your urge to bash it.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I get flak? DO I GET FLAK?!!!
    Since I was 5 years old, from own family, and to this day I still get:
    My mom: Eye rolls and "Oh brother!"
    My dad: Mockery, playful mockery, but still pisses me off.
    My brother: "It's gay...everything you like is gay." Is the sum of all his comments.

It's like when people hear the word Godzilla, they automatically start imitating bad voice dubbing. And that REALLY ticks me off, because that's a quality of the import not of the media.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda I guess.

I'm the only one I really know who likes anime and such so there may be a little eye-rolling toward my love on anime and manga but typically not in a mean-spirited way. In almost all cases when someone I know says something less than kind about my love of manga and anime it doesn't bother me because what's being said is either false(I find ignorance easy to forgive) or is true (in which case they have a point).

For example someone might wisecrack about Gurren Laggan being childish and silly. It's easy for me to understand someone less initiated into the genre than I thinking that about it. You have to have some exposure to anime to get past the melodrama and see the real depth underneath, I find it regrettable they don't know better but I'm sure I'm ignorant about many things too so I can forgive that.

Or someone might make wise crack about me being pervy for enjoying To-Love-Ru. Which, lets face it, is fair. It's about pervy humor, which I enjoy. I can hardly blame someone for telling me what I already know to be true.

--------------------

The only exception would be the rare occasion would someone would say something for the sake of trying to put me down but that sort of things isn't really about anime and it would just make me feel sorry for them.

It's a truly pathetic person who can only make themselves feel tall by making other people feel small.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 02, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

No and I don't remember ever getting 'flak' for being a fan of anime or manga. Aside from parents when I was younger, but I think that was more of a concern because I would rather watch anime or read manga than study (what child wouldn't?). My step-father tried to ban me once in an attempt to get me to study - I just ended up playing games or playing piano - when those were taken away I would either go out and terrorise the neighbourhood with the other kids or I'd happily sit down and draw or stare at a wall (in order to annoy him). Anything not to study. My mother got him to stop pressurising me in the end, they let me do what I want and I had good enough grades to keep them off my back.

I've never really experienced the 'anime is for children' scenario, then again I don't really talk about anime or manga outside of the internet - because I don't really have a need to and personally I don't care if another person likes, hate or frown upon anime/manga. Every now and then a few friends would have a conversation about a series or something, but all in all, there are other things to talk about and do. I think nearly all of my friends have some form of interest in anime/manga, but our tastes are so different, we don't really talk about it. Which, I suppose I'm pretty grateful for, I don't think I can stand people constantly talking about one thing - even if it's something I really enjoy.

At the end of the day, if someone has a problem with something. Let them be, it's their problem, let them worry about it.

P.S There is probably a difference in how people view you; between being a fan of anime/manga and being an annoying fangirl (even if you are male).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah

I go to University where being a nerd reverses itself and becomes cool again.

Bushy Brows MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I feel sorry for them. If they only knew what lies beneath all of it. I mean it has nothing to do with being an otaku, anime and manga are ART! It is far, far more adult than anything I guess, but it is not about being "childish", it's that today people just do not like intelligent stuff. It is a religion to be bored, apathetic and docile, that is the real weakness. Anime and Manga are both art and literature and the masters that write and draw it will be remembered people who mock others for enjoying it will never be, gladly.

Some anime directors, manga artists are well known throughout the world.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite fortunate for me, I didn't have trouble in my otaku life. Well, my parents are not against it, but not really understanding it either. As long as they leave me with my otaku-mode-on alone, I'm fine. I also didn't get strange actions from friends. Although otaku are indeed quite a minority, there are some friends who also watch anime or read manga occasionally so I'm not really alone. It does make me sad since I don't have many people to talk to about my interest in real life, but at least there's MH around. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Also, it is probably because in the country where I live in, Manga and Anime are inseparable part of your childhood, whether you're an otaku or just a casual observer, especially for people who were born during 80s or 90s onward. I dare to bet that the majority of Generation Y and Generation Z were watching and reading Doraemon or Dragonball at least once in their lifetime.
    My memory is a bit hazy, but I think once I was asked about things I liked, I mentioned anime and manga, people got reminded of those series popular here, and I got a what-are-you-serious-those-are-boring-and-bad-things opinion. Well, it's truly sad that people think small because of one or two example of a super bigger universe, but I guess that can't be helped. We're talking about a very subjective thing anyway.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

4 years since I last spoke in this topic and.... nope, still no flak. Part of it might come down to just not being the type to oversell what I enjoy, or to get so passionate it's life-damaging (though I have no doubt my passion for jump is excessive as far as safe limits allow), but more often than not if someone doesn't understand it they just talk to me about it or we find a new topic. People are cool with learning about stuff if you're chill in talking about it.

The whole "this is so much bigger than they give it credit" or "the fools don't understand and mock me because I think it's super important" and the like never hold much weight, because, uh... they're not really wrong, it's just not in their interests and that's how people react. I ain't gonna judge, and in turn they leave their judgements at the door.

Sorry, that's all a bit ego, but suffice to say prejudice is bull, and anyone who feels they receive prejudicial treatment because of something as insignificant to a lifestyle as the media they consume... well either they know the worst people or they need to reassess.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I got called a geek which made me kinda laugh out loud, it was just a friendly jab though.

New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast