Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Question about gradients

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about gradients

Now, im not new to this myself(been scanlating since january and head editor of my team for this time) but I am not very good at all with raw scans other than leveling it, cleaning it and making the blacks black. One thing i did want sometimes in the more complicated manga there are greys that arent exactly uniform because the greys in one whole section are darker than another and i was wondering if there was a way to duplicate the effect in photoshop when redoing greys. I mean the only thing i could think of is a gradient but i dont know how to apply it to the scan.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member silveril's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about gradients

do the grey normally
    make a new layer, set it to multiply => select the grey area, take the gradient paint bucket and fill (by clicking at one point and then another point, making a line from where the first color (ie black) start, and to where the 2nd color (ie white) shall end)

note: everything behind the first point is going to be in the first color, and everything beneath the 2nd point is going to be in the second color.. you might click outside the image also, if you want it to be not totally white at the end)
    note2: using shift if u want the gradient to be like perfectly horizontal or vertical

There done!

note3: you might also use normal mode type of layer BUT lower the opacity of the gradient layer
    note4: sometimes if you want to have an oblique gradient at the end (like outside of the panels in OP flashbacks..) you can use the smudge tool on the gradient layer

Hopes that helped

please visit ma dA : http://silveril.deviantart.com/ m(_ _)m

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about gradients

that makes sense. Thanks

New Reply