Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to Combat Procrastination?

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Monte's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Combat Procrastination?

Easy, just don't.

to be a rock and not to roll...

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

that's the hardest thing to do for us with that problem... it's like an addiction, really

what I always do when procrastinating is looking for other stuff to do right? And by that time I know I'm procrastinating already. But I can't stop not doing it. So when I find something else to do, the least i can do is get it over and done with immediately, etc. etc. until I've done everything except the thing I should be doing, and I'm left with no choice but to do it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ~Lilium~'s Avatar
    Country
    British Antarctic Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this same problem as well. I've been trying to keep away from the computer (and am succeeding actually) but i just do other stuff anyway and stray from my studies and what-not.
    (I have 3 exams this week and a paper due on thursday... still haven't started much on anything...)

I haven't found a solution to this, as you can see, i'm still a procrastinator. lol . but i usually do some work/writing/studying whenever i feel a boost of initiative that randomly pops out of nowhere I'd be studying for an economics exam for the next week in an accounting class during the day.... yeahh.. but it does help because i won't have to cram as much when deadlines are very near.

I suggest that whenever you feel like finally doing the work or study, wherever you are, just do it. At least you'll get something done, even if its just a little bit. And when the feeling passes... then do something else. lol

and as for tidbits that might help... i find that thinking 'oh no! i'm gonna fail!' seems to work. Whenever I know that i'm procrastinating, like now, I keep on saying to myself, if i don't start this essay/study...etc.. soon i'll fail. It helps sometimes, though its really pessimistic, it makes me start doing what i need to do.

Keeping things scheduled as bb said, also works. For me anyways, but not all of the time either.

Oh, and i find whining about it helps! i dunno why, i find that whenever i just whine and complain enough about doing my homework, i finally get to do it. Especially if i whine to a friend, because they'll keep telling me to just do it already.

i guess there's no solution to this but plain ol' will power!
    or you could get someone into tricking you that the deadline is actually the next day and not next week. :big-smile. You'll end up finishing your work a week in advance! (and correct/improve it later)

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The hardest part is getting started. When I was disciplined I'd set limits for myself. When I got home, no kicking off my shoes until I finish a page of something like if I have a paper due. No water until I do something else. No tv until..well you get the point.
    Somewhere along the line I lost that discipline and became a wreckless drunk though..But Ive been there. Don't abandon all hope yet!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member reinen's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: How to Combat Procrastination?

Quote Quote:
    I just realized that this entire "study corner" could be closed with one simple advice on how to study:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihWymC6_Dw
    Are there people doing things like that? Kinda harsh y'know. But, it was an anime, not a real people.

So yeah, I read this thread to find how can i defeat my procrastination urge. It's just too hard to do. I'm an easygoing type of guy so that makes it worse. I'm glad there are people like me. This problem began when I'm entering college life. It was a sudden change of pace, and I'm not really getting used to it. It was so different from when I was in high school. Assignments and tasks are coming like a never ending circle, and the deadlines is not a good news. Sigh... and things piled up when I realized I'm past deadlines.

I think I'll take some suggestions from members that posted here. Like, making lists, know how long it'll take, etc.

And lastly, I have a quote that I remembered from Futurama, "You gotta do what you gotta do"

-rei

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Setting standards, goals and deadlines for yourself can greatly help you overcome procrastination. You see, following your own deadline, and setting standards for yourself will make you feel more accomplished once you've completed them on time. It will also give you a deeper sense of remorse if you fail, since you've failed yourself and not someone else. A little prize at the end of the finish line might help as well (e.g. allowing yourself an hour of gaming time after you've passed X amount of deadlines). Having a high standard for yourself can also help you achieve goals quicker. In effect, using and reinforcing on these traits will show other people around you that you are a capable individual, and that you're not one to be taken lightly; this process will also help you gain the respect of others, but more importantly, it will help you gain respect from yourself.
    Last edited by Paper; March 24, 2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Additional content.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member razor's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way to fight it is by believe to yourself. It is hard to believe to yourself, but once you start to believe it, then you will succeed.
    As for me, procrastination can be avoided if you really set your mind that you will definitely do it. It is just how to set your mind....that is what I'm thinking.
    I am a researcher and I know there are many things that can procrastinate my research (surfing, pc and console games, and few others). But I set my mind, between 9.30 until 12 pm there is no surfing except research. Starting from very eask tasks and move toward hard tasks. But I must make sure that I follow that path from beginning.
    But again, it is not an easy task -> set our mind
    Procrastination always bring me many wonderful things especially memory leak in programming.LOL

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are in college, make spaces between your classes when schedualing and go to the library in between classes to get work done. I find this helps out a lot because you are already in "work" mode because you just got out of class and can thus concentrate and get stuff done. If you get your work done, they you won't have to procrastinate in doing it

Also, I find it helpful to listen to music while writing something like a paper as it helps me concentrate. I like rock, so I blast that and somehow I am able to concentrate.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll answer that question later.

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathbyrock View Post
    I'll answer that question later.
    win answer.

truth is, you can't combat procrastination...it's like fighting jealousy or terrorism. Actually, it's like trying to beat up vin diesel, you just can't. Just accept it, and wait for those sweet last minutes when you're scrambling.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

besides, inspiration comes at the very last minute, no?

Vintage Reboot 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity vintagemistakes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    win answer.

truth is, you can't combat procrastination...it's like fighting jealousy or terrorism. Actually, it's like trying to beat up vin diesel, you just can't. Just accept it, and wait for those sweet last minutes when you're scrambling.
    Not to get off topic or anything, but whats with you and Vin Diesel... are you Vin Diesel? should we be calling you Vin "Bean" Diesel from now on?
    Last edited by vintagemistakes; April 16, 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

that is off topic.

and for that you get a plus a

anyway, recently i have improved with doing things that should be done, and I think the main reason is dropping Naruto and Bleach.

I have now more time at hand, and since I stopped playing games, I really have nothing left to do but do the necessary stuff.

well okay, i know that's not an option for people who read naruto and bleach, and play games. probably a more concrete reason is that i keep repeating to myself "priorities". so I remember my priorities and I can do it. sometimes I also think "do or die" and I just do it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Procrastination – Read the Cases!

Help with Procrastination – Read the Cases!
    Procrastination can be what makes the difference between a successful you and a typical you. I mean, we all have stuff to do all the time, and we do things that we hate doing and sometimes we delay the things that we truly dislike hoping that they will take care by themselves. The thing is, once this happens with just about everything in your life, you should really start worrying since procrastination may be knocking on your door. Procrastination is what makes life stressful and annoying, it what takes your free time away, and sends your opportunities out the door. Now you understand why it is so important to stop procrastination at once. Since procrastination presents itself in numerous forms, within this article we shall discuss about some of the most common types of procrastination, and how to overcome them. However, before we start, understand that in order to stop procrastination you have to really want to get ahead, you should want to really have your life organized in a way that will allow you to do the things you need to do and want to do.
    • Dealing with the little things
    In order to stop procrastination you have to understand why the little things should be dealt with at the appropriate time. You see, often when we have a huge project, we only take care of that and forget the little chores. The unfortunate part is that even if we forget about them, we still have to do them at one point or another - meaning that these will remain similar to some little irritants that will constantly prick on you. Soon, the little thing you delayed doing in the first place will increase your stress levels, will become bigger than it was due to the short time span remaining, not to mention the rest of the side effects such as goofing off on your big project and so on. The truth is, as soon as you start working on that little thing you realize it was not was bad as you thought it was in the first place. The easy solution for this case is never to leave the little things behind – in order to stop procrastination, it is easier to do the little things before you start the huge project, because after you actually finish them, you can take of whatever is important for you in peace and quiet.
    Another way to stop procrastination with these types of situations is by adopting the “Do It Now!” habit – doing it right will add to a sense of righteousness, not to mention that it will improve your morale along the way. Oppressive, useless weight will be lifted from your shoulders, and you will finally be able to focus on the really important things in your life.
    I will suggest you really good site which will really boost your self to overcome so called Procrastination

http://helpprocrastination.com/dont-...-the-cases.php

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Schools usually have some resources, like at the counseling center, for people with procrastination problems. I'd suggest doing that. The people who work there have all kinds of advice for study techniques.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast